Need help hooking up HT system

WilL07

WilL07

Audioholic Intern
I need some help with properly hooking up my home theater system. I just got HD Direct TV so I want to hook all this up the right way.

Right now I have a HDMI cable going from my cable box to the TV. My box says it is DD capable, and so is my TV. It has a DD in and out slot. So if I am watching TV for instance and the movie is broadcasting in DD do I also in addition to the HDMI cable need a Digital Coax cable going from the cable box into the TV? Or can I just run a Digital Coax cable from my cable box into my Onkyo HT receiver? Or do I need to go from my cable box to the TV, then from the TV to the HT receiver? Which is of course DD by the way, I have it setup to run 2.1 DD fyi.

Just wondering how to set this up right to get true 2.1 DD with the least amount of cables necessary.

Thanks,
Will

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Run HDMI directly to TV from STB, and run your coax/optical directly from STB to receiver. Tell your receiver that surrounds and center are off. Also set your mains to small, and apply xover that works best for you in receiver.

Now, the center and surround channels should be rerouted to the mains. BTW, why are we in the HTPC forum?

WilL07

WilL07

Audioholic Intern
Ok, thanks, figured I should do that. But I always over think things and this stuff is new to me.

What forum section should I be in?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Ok, thanks, figured I should do that. But I always over think things and this stuff is new to me.

What forum section should I be in?
Probably General AV. But no biggie. As long as you get the help you need. Welcome to AH.

WilL07

WilL07

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, I think I got it down so far. But if I need further help I will make a new post in the right section.

Thanks everyone,
William

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Why not HDMI only - just two HDMI cables ?

Just a question. I am very familiar with DishNetwork, but not with DirecTV and their STB (Set Top Box).

But why wouldn't the best connection be HDMI all the way. DirecTV - HDMI to Onkyo Receiver--HDMI to TV ? :confused:

It seems like this would provide the simplest and the best audio and video.

Peace, Good Sound, and Good Video,

Forest Man

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I go HTMI from the STB to my receiver and then HTMI to my TV. That way all source switching is handled by the TV. Whether or not you need the optical cable depends on your receiver.

WilL07

WilL07

Audioholic Intern
So is that like using the pass through feature in the receiver? Kinda confused, I get the HDMI from the STB to receiver, but then where is the other HDMI coming from to get the picture and sound to the TV?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis