Need help from the gurus for hooking up a modern sub with LFE input with an old school integrated NAD amp

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Wouldn't hurt to check w/ RSL to see what they sell. IMHO, 50 seems a little on the low side; remember, those are 12dB/octave filters, not a brick wall.
A lot of the complaints about the harrison products center around a lowering of volume, reduced fidelity, and higher than advertised crossover level. Makes me leery.
On an unrelated note Steve, since I have your attention, I need to order the proper cables from Blue Jeans.
Rather than connect with subwoofer cables, I'm assuming their Stereo Audio Cables will be optimal to the sub, and back to the NAD amp, correct?
Sorry for all the questions, but hooking up a system like this is new to me -- I have heretofore been mainly home theater centric until now.
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
A lot of the complaints about the harrison products center around a lowering of volume, reduced fidelity, and higher than advertised crossover level. Makes me leery.
There are other options out there to be sure, just more expensive.

Rather than connect with subwoofer cables, I'm assuming their Stereo Audio Cables will be optimal to the sub, and back to the NAD amp, correct?
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm
If nothing else, they'll be appropriately color coded to make sure you're not mixing up the channels :D BJC sells their standard LC-1 stock and the Belden 1505F for both applications though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I came to the same conclusion as Steve, while RSL refers to a "crossover" it seems it's just the low pass filter (this is something many subwoofer manufacturers do, though, they call a low pass filter a "crossover" incorrectly). FWIW Hsu Research does sell a $100 high pass filter.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
I came to the same conclusion as Steve, while RSL refers to a "crossover" it seems it's just the low pass filter (this is something many subwoofer manufacturers do, though, they call a low pass filter a "crossover" incorrectly). FWIW Hsu Research does sell a $100 high pass filter.
I ordered the 50Hz high pass RCA from PE.
If it doesn't perform well I'll revisit the Hsu unit

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Or, rather than use the Nad, buy a used receiver with bass management....
This whole garage system venture is to remain low cost and to recycle equipment I wasn't using.
So far I'm only into it $550: the NAD amp, the Panasonic BD player, two MK442's, wall mounts, RSL sub, and the high pass filter RCA pair.
It should sound pretty damn amazing in the garage. I'd rather not spend much more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This whole garage system venture is to remain low cost and to recycle equipment I wasn't using.
So far I'm only into it $550: the NAD amp, the Panasonic BD player, two MK442's, wall mounts, RSL sub, and the high pass filter RCA pair.
It should sound pretty damn amazing in the garage. I'd rather not spend much more.
My workshop system is all old stuff not used in my primary systems any longer, altho I did replace one avr that crapped out in my workshop with a used one to retain bass management/hdmi/multich capabilities. :)

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
My workshop system is all old stuff not used in my primary systems any longer, altho I did replace one avr that crapped out in my workshop with a used one to retain bass management/hdmi/multich capabilities. :)
I thought about buying a used/more 'modern' receiver here locally but deep down in my heart I felt that the NAD amp deserves to not be relegated to obsolescence/obscurity.
I kinda dig its 'old school' flavor.
And honestly, it only required me to buy some RCA cables and a pair of high pass filters to use.
I would have had to buy the MK442's (and wall mounts) and RSL sub anyway -- how can I go wrong with an Audioholics 2018 POTY (the Daytons) and an Audioholics 2016 POTY (the Speedwoofer 10S) for a budget kick ass garage system?
Once everything arrives and I start setting it up I'll try the system without the RCA high pass filters and see how it sounds. If I get any distortion or it feels like the speakers are being stressed (god forbid I blow one -- I spent $99 for the pair :D) I'll install the RCA high pass filters and see how it affects gain/xo etc.
The ultimate goal was always musicality and a little bit of punch while I work on my cars.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought about buying a used/more 'modern' receiver here locally but deep down in my heart I felt that the NAD amp deserves to not be relegated to obsolescence/obscurity.
I kinda dig its 'old school' flavor.
And honestly, it only required me to buy some RCA cables and a pair of high pass filters to use.
I would have had to buy the MK442's (and wall mounts) and RSL sub anyway -- how can I go wrong with an Audioholics 2018 POTY (the Daytons) and an Audioholics 2016 POTY (the Speedwoofer 10S) for a budget kick ass garage system?
Once everything arrives and I start setting it up I'll try the system without the RCA high pass filters and see how it sounds. If I get any distortion or it feels like the speakers are being stressed (god forbid I blow one -- I spent $99 for the pair :D) I'll install the RCA high pass filters and see how it affects gain/xo etc.
The ultimate goal was always musicality and a little bit of punch while I work on my cars.
Sounds good but what the hell is musicality? Maybe the rumble of a sweet v8....but otherwise?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Sounds good but what the hell is musicality? Maybe the rumble of a sweet v8....but otherwise?
Well, the other sub I was looking at was the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 (which I already have in my game room) but I felt it would overwhelm the little MK442's in the garage.
I thought the RSL would be a bit more 'musical' with it's smaller size woofer and blend better with the Daytons which are a bit insensitive as well.
Am I off base here?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the other sub I was looking at was the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 (which I already have in my game room) but I felt it would overwhelm the little MK442's in the garage.
I thought the RSL would be a bit more 'musical' with it's smaller size woofer and blend better with the Daytons which are a bit insensitive as well.
Am I off base here?
Can't see why it would "overwhelm" the speakers unless you set it up that way. Smaller woofers don't mean more "musical", whatever that means; usually a larger sub is simply more effective. Don't see what the Dayton's sensitivity has to do with it particularly either.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Can't see why it would "overwhelm" the speakers unless you set it up that way. Smaller woofers don't mean more "musical", whatever that means; usually a larger sub is simply more effective. Don't see what the Dayton's sensitivity has to do with it particularly either.
Fair. I'll tinker with gain levels and hopefully get some semblance of hi fidelity in the garage.
The white elephant in the room is the RSL was $400 shipped, the HSU would have been significantly more with shipping -- perhaps I'm telling myself these things to help me justify my purchase :D
I definitely would have gone with the HSU had I used larger (and perhaps easier to drive) speakers.
But again, the goal wasn't to create concert level volumes in the garage. Just quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair. I'll tinker with gain levels and hopefully get some semblance of hi fidelity in the garage.
The white elephant in the room is the RSL was $400 shipped, the HSU would have been significantly more with shipping -- perhaps I'm telling myself these things to help me justify my purchase :D
I definitely would have gone with the HSU had I used larger (and perhaps easier to drive) speakers.
But again, the goal wasn't to create concert level volumes in the garage. Just quality.
The quality of the RSL sub should be more than fine in any case, and the price isn't too high (to help out with your justification thing ;) ). Might just use a simple spl meter (like a phone app) to help setup levels if you don't have other gear.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Make your life simple, Run the BIC from the speaker terminals. There's no loss of quality doing it that way. Adjust the low pass filter to have it cut in where your mains start to fall off. It may take a few days to really dial in but it'll be worth it.

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Make your life simple, Run the BIC from the speaker terminals. There's no loss of quality doing it that way. Adjust the low pass filter to have it cut in where your mains start to fall off. It may take a few days to really dial in but it'll be worth it.
Sorry Mark, didn't see your reply until now -- I already had purchased the RSL sub

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Here are the finished shots.

57511667_2216882658392362_8319258838108733440_n.jpg

57094360_2216882691725692_7924680918474686464_n.jpg

57486651_2216882705059024_4220024214083600384_n.jpg

57072564_2216882761725685_2680035214469627904_n.jpg

57308609_2216882755059019_97934681802014720_n.jpg

57434132_2216882635059031_8686154327720460288_n.jpg

It sounds great in the garage now, even if there is a noticeable null in the very center of the room. Anywhere near the periphery of the room and bass is punchy and full.
It is my car workbench so I don't have much room to move the sub around -- I did move it a bit here and there along the bench but this config yielded the best results to the ear -- I don't have room correction software nor does this amp have an eq other than rudimentary 'bass' and 'treble' knobs on the front.
Very nice little sub and I'm all in on this whole system for around $550 having repurposed some old gear I had laying around and going with Monoprice RCA's and DIY speaker cables with Parts Express compression banana plugs.
Overall I'm thrilled.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Quick update.
After some tweaking and installing the 50Hz high pass filters the sound has improved dramatically.
The speakers seem less stressed and I now have the sub crossed over at 100Hz.
The null seems to be gone now in the center of the room and I get nice punchy even bass across my entire work area.
In short, it sounds AMAZING -- especially considering the tiny budget I set aside for the project.
Thanks to all who took the time to give me excellent critical advice. Much appreciated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis