Need Help for Dad's present

J

jagust1

Enthusiast
Hey I was looking to buy my dad a subwoofer for his birthday. I know nothing about speakers or subwoofers but I know he has a denon AVR 3806 for the Receiver, paradigm reference series stereo 40s on the sides, studio cc570 for the center, and ADP 470 v3 rear surround. He has them for 3 years now (I think he got them when they came out with new models). He doesn't own a sub at all. I have been looking through these threads for a few weeks and would like some help. I'm willing to spend probably at most around $550-600 but would rather spend $500 or less. This seems like the best place to post can you please help me with a suggestion and why. He uses them about 50/50 for music and movies.

Thanks in Advance
Jake

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hey I was looking to buy my dad a subwoofer for his birthday. I know nothing about speakers or subwoofers but I know he has a denon AVR 3806 for the Receiver, paradigm reference series stereo 40s on the sides, studio cc570 for the center, and ADP 470 v3 rear surround. He has them for 3 years now (I think he got them when they came out with new models). He doesn't own a sub at all. I have been looking through these threads for a few weeks and would like some help. I'm willing to spend probably at most around $550-600 but would rather spend $500 or less. This seems like the best place to post can you please help me with a suggestion and why. He uses them about 50/50 for music and movies.

Thanks in Advance
Jake
Sounds like your dad has a very powerful setup. I'm not sure the budget for your sub will match the speakers. Is your dad a decent woodworker?

J

jagust1

Enthusiast
no he is not a woodworker at all... what would you suggest and how much would it cost that would match our set-up maybe I can get him to add to his own gift:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
no he is not a woodworker at all... what would you suggest and how much would it cost that would match our set-up maybe I can get him to add to his own gift:)
I would look at HSU, SVS, Epik, JL Audio, or Elemental Designs for commercial subs. You can't go wrong with any of those brands. Maybe you get others to chip in and make it one big gift. I know that I'd rather get one sub than lots of other things.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Also check this out, the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus. Essentially the same as the Hsu VTF2 but with a more powerful amp and down-firing ports. Just went on sale, I don't think it should be more than $550 shipped. Probably the best deal on subs for the time being, but it's a bit large, so you should make sure your dad has the room for something of it's size.

J

jagust1

Enthusiast
I would look at HSU, SVS, Epik, JL Audio, or Elemental Designs for commercial subs. You can't go wrong with any of those brands. Maybe you get others to chip in and make it one big gift. I know that I'd rather get one sub than lots of other things.
Do you have any exact ones you suggest from any of these so I can get a price reference. What about the paradigm 3400 or are these companies better?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
As ShadyJ pointed out Outlaw Audio is having a sale on their subwoofers this week. Their top of the line LFM-1 EX is only $552 with free shipping. That's a lot of subwoofer for the money!

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You might take a crack at the outlaw deal.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with lsiberian, if you're willing to do some wood working (IE making a box... can't be too hard.................................. right? :D :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: ) then you could buy a pair of these woofers and power them with a pro amp. This sort of performance, professionally, would likely run you around $2000 internet direct, and around $5000 at a hi fi shop. You could probably do it for around $500 including MDF, an amplifier, 2x woofers. Throw in a bit more for some laminate, or maybe primer and paint :D and a bit more than that if you're thinking pretty exotic veneers (I... don't recommend it though)

You'd be getting those drivers AT COST, so the performance is even better than DIY performance is supposed to be!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As ShadyJ pointed out Outlaw Audio is having a sale on their subwoofers this week. Their top of the line LFM-1 EX is only $552 with free shipping. That's a lot of subwoofer for the money!
I don't believe the shipping is free this time. Still a hell of a deal though.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the shipping is truly free, that is a fantastically good deal. I don't think anything else in the sub world can touch that price/performance ratio.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If the shipping is truly free, that is a fantastically good deal. I don't think anything else in the sub world can touch that price/performance ratio.
The ad says free shipping (see below). It is a heck of a deal, I just don't have a spot for another sub or I'd be all over it.
It's that time of year again at the Hideout, and the Outlaws are pleased to offer "Sub"stantial discounts on all of our ultra-popular Outlaw Subwoofers! Great in home theater and dedicated music systems alike, our subwoofers can be ordered now through Midnight, June 13th with 15% off PLUS free shipping*!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
What size is the room here....?
Is it closed off or open to other areas of the house...?

ie, how much room needs to be pressurized...?

J

jagust1

Enthusiast
it is a 15 by 23 its down a small set of stairs that leads to the rest of the house. the ceiling is about 9 or 10 foot. floor is tile.... not sure if that matters since the outlaw is downward facing...

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
it is a 15 by 23 its down a small set of stairs that leads to the rest of the house. the ceiling is about 9 or 10 foot. floor is tile.... not sure if that matters since the outlaw is downward facing...
Openings can make sizing a sub to a room a challenge because the sub needs to be powerful enough to minutely alter the air pressure in the room. To get around that the choice figure out actual volume, or buy a big freaking sub, or use the sub near field. The EX should be able to pressurize 6000cuft so I'd try the sub in various spots in the room and see what works best. But as a last resort putting the sub right next to (or behind) the couch should rock his world. The Outlaw has a plexiglass top to let you use it as an end table. My family room isn't very big but it's open to the rest of the house so I use a combination of a big sub and nearby placement

This may help.
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/

Last edited:
J

jagust1

Enthusiast
Thank you guys so much. I am pretty sure I'll be going with the outlaw. After looking at many reviews and listening to you guys it seems to be a very good sub at a good price. Thanks again

J

jagust1

Enthusiast
soo i ended up ruining the surprise on my dad since i felt like he probably would want some input on this as it will be his sub and his only concern is how does it perform on music rather than movies because the reviews we both have been reading all seem to be movie related and with the boom and not the musical touch... so i'd figure to ask here because you guys are so quick in responding and have been such a big help so far. he is also looking at the discontinued Paradigm 3100? not sure if that is exactly right. any details on which to choose between those two would be great as well. I feel bad for asking all these questions and not being able to respond and help others so i Thank you guys again and look forward to your answers

~Jake

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis