Need help finding a suitable center

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Okay, well I was hoping since I had no luck obtaining an EMIT tweeter center channel to match my Infinity Qe mains which I love dearly that at least buying an Infinity center channel would make the tones close. Good lord, not even. Being gaming is what I do I popped in PGR4 since it has a lot of continual stress on the center channel (driving in the car position you hear the motor through the center the whole time). First I left the receiver in Direct which is pure stereo mode. Sounds good, sharp, the motor sounds clear and when I change camera positions the sound switches channels and sounds good. I kick the receiver over to Dolby (the game is Dolby Digital enabled) and now everything comes out of the center and mostly road noise comes out of the mains. Very muffled sounding in comparison.

I did a test with the exact same sound (A car revved to the same RPM from an external camera) and then panned left and right which forced the sound into the Left, Center, and Right channels. As soon as the sound went into the Qe's, beautiful sharp detail came back out - what I have become used to. When they come out of the center - sounds muffled and dull, not even sharp. The sound is honestly like making the sound of a car noise with your mouth - then cover your mouth and make the same sound, now you have what my center channel sounds like compared to my mains. I have not watched a movie yet, but since gaming is the primary duty of my setup currently the ability to provide good sound during gaming is my biggest concern.

But again, I bought the center for $30 - I figure it was worth a shot. I still have one thing I plan to do - the mounting position I really dislike at the moment, I think it's messing with accoustics because it's about a foot in front of the TV screen and aimed up at my ears and it's only two feet away where my mains are four feet away and parallel with the TV. I adjusted the levels and settings in the receiver to compensate but it still doesn't sound right. My new mount (B-Tech BT15) will put it right above the TV completely level with the screen. I will give this a try before foregoing the center as a lost cause - but I fear the acoustics would be THAT bad based on it's current position.

Anyway, so I'm back to the drawing board for center channels. The only speaker I consistently find when doing searches is the Infinity Kappa Video II which has an EMIT-R tweeter - not identical looking to my original EMITs but I imagine the tonal quality would be nigh identical. These I have only seen on eBay and haven't seen in awhile but I plan to keep checking. My next consideration - since this Infinity with it's polycell tweeter sounded muffled is to go with something that would tend to have a bright sound. The first brand that comes to mind (No offense to people who own them and don't agree with my opinion) is Klipsch and the horn tweeters. Given I can find Klipsch horn tweeter center channels all day long and they tend to provide very crisp clear highs due to the design of their tweeter would they compliment my EMIT tweeters? I can probably choose from quite the assortment of Klipsch centers if I want to go this route.

As I reconsidered, it definitely strikes me as vastly important to have a good center channel. Much more so than I originally thought. As soon as I switched input modes it became bluntly obvious - the sounds almost all came from the center and only occasionally in the mains. This all said, have I any other alternatives that will match the timbre and tone of my EMIT tweeter based main speakers? Perhaps a newer Infinity center channel like the Beta C250? I'm open to suggestions at this point, I'd hate to do it but my budget will allow for up to $200 on a center - but that's really taking all my spare cash. I'm very comfortable with the $100 and under price range and could go $120 if it was worth it. The Beta C250 I mention is currently $72 on Amazon which is the reason I mention it.

Help me out here folks!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
It sounds like you do need a better center, or maybe a whole new front 3, but first you should watch a few movies & see it it's maybe just your game, or the way your game player processes the sound.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Right, because I should throw out a pair of main speakers that are the best sounding pair of speakers I have ever heard in favor of some newer cheap speakers that don't sound as good. Not to sound rude but I've listened to a lot of speakers and none have impressed me more or sounded as good as these Infinity Qe speakers. Sure I could buy new mains and a matching center and they'd all match tones but I feel as though they match because now all the speakers are muffled and dull - but without the good speakers to compare to you don't notice it...to buy speakers that would be suitable new they'd be far over the budget I'm willing to spend anyway. But more importantly - I already own these speakers and would rather make them work than get other speakers to work.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
That Axiom looks nice, but it's over my budget quite a bit. I would imagine at that price I could certainly afford the Infinity EMIT tweeter center if I could find one.

To update, I installed the B-Tech BT15 center mounts so my center is now just above my TV. It sounds better, but still when switching between Dolby PLII, DTS Neo:6, and THX Home Cinema the center channel sounds muffled. I'll put it this way, when I mute the stereo and unmute the TV the TV sounds sharper than the center channel. I know it's the center channel because when switching to stereo mode the amount of clarity and sharpness - not to mention the range (It sounds like the sound is more spread out - with the surround modes it sounds so narrow just coming out the center channel). I adjusted for the new distance level and bumped the level up on the center since it sounded so quiet and it still doesn't sound that great.

Any speaker recommendations for my situation?

F

fredk

Audioholic General
What does Infinity have to say? buying other brands is going to be hit and miss. You could end up spending a lot of money for nothing.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
*Revives thread*

So I'm doing a lot of my home theater "homework" so to say, and the only thing left that needs fixing is my center channel. Let me ask again - my center channel sounding muffled compared to the left and right channels, is that due to the polycell tweeter? My bookshelf speakers are EMIT tweeters so they are really crisp, but the center doesn't sound so good. Here is a picture of my setup to show the proximity they have with each other (Hard to fit it all in, I was sitting on my desk to take the picture - my cheap digital camera is very zoom based so it makes things look bigger than actual perspective) - I'm sitting about 3-4 feet away from these speakers and the TV (Please ignore the terrible looking square on the wall and the mess, a long unrelated story that goes with them)

http://img6.imageshack.us/i/pict0223uy.jpg/
(It's messy but hey, I'm the only one ever in this room)

I'm kinda at a loss as to if I need a center that has an EMIT tweeter like my speakers or if there exists a polycell tweeter center channel that sounds as crisp as my EMITs OR if I can use something like a Klipsch with a horn tweeter to make up for a polycell's lack of sharpness compared to an EMIT. Can anyone give any help here? Infinity makes one center channel with an EMIT-R tweeter and they are few and far on eBay and the last time I saw one on there the surrounds were totally torn on the one there.

I almost wonder is it possible to make a 6 channel system? Just totally bypass a center channel and use my mains to cover that area? As it stands in stereo mode the Qe's do a good job of making it sound like the sound is eminating from the screen and are only directional when necessary. I don't like how as soon as I turn the center channel on I can instantly identify everything that is coming out of it due to the sound and how directional it is (I can easily locate the speaker as the source of the sound, it does not sound natural).

Any help? This issue has been stumping me for some time and I have come no closer to a good solution.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, with your mains sitting that close together, you don't even need a center. I think you'll be much happier just skipping it. The problem is that most center channel designs are inferior. Not until you get into some fairly high end designs can you over come problems associated with the design.

My parents HT and a few buddies' HTs have this problem.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Cool, I found a thread on here awhile back where people were discussing a center versus no center but I'm not sure how that turned up for the person asking the question. The distance between my main speakers is 3' 2" so it truly did seem to me that the center channel didn't help my system. Will the lack of a center channel mess with any of the sounds I'll hear from something like a DTS or THX certified movie or will the sounds simply be re-routed to my left and right main speakers? Now on this question I'm just asking for a future idea as I have no SACD player currently, but would this ruin my ability to listen to SACDs or would I simply not plug a center channel in at all?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Just change your receivers settings accordingly. Set center to none or off. The material will then be routed to the mains.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
Just change your receivers settings accordingly. Set center to none or off. The material will then be routed to the mains.
Ah right - forgot about that. So then I would still if I had an SACD player hook all channels up to the receiver and then the receiver would handle re-routing the center channel material to the mains?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Ah right - forgot about that. So then I would still if I had an SACD player hook all channels up to the receiver and then the receiver would handle re-routing the center channel material to the mains?
You got it...

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It's an Emit-R. I will keep looking. If I find more, I will add to this post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Center-w-Emit-Upgraded-by-Bill-Ladell_W0QQitemZ120500952757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item1c0e6a9eb5

Buy the pair of these. Sell the extra. Seems there are several people looking for a matching center for these fantastic speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-RS-KAPPA-5-BOOKSHELF-SPEAKERS-EMIT-TWEETER_W0QQitemZ150394224506QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item230431bf7a

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Look on the TampaBay craigslist. There are a couple of older infinity bookshelves with EMIT tweeters there. There are a similar pair at the local pawn shop.

See what you can get them to ship for.

Shintsu

Shintsu

Banned
It's an Emit-R. I will keep looking. If I find more, I will add to this post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Center-w-Emit-Upgraded-by-Bill-Ladell_W0QQitemZ120500952757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item1c0e6a9eb5

Buy the pair of these. Sell the extra. Seems there are several people looking for a matching center for these fantastic speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-RS-KAPPA-5-BOOKSHELF-SPEAKERS-EMIT-TWEETER_W0QQitemZ150394224506QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item230431bf7a
I saw that first one, seems like it'd be especially expensive since "some guy" custom installed something or did something to it. But again, negated by my attempt to just use my mains now. Hadn't seen the second link though, decent looking speakers but ouch, $200...
Look on the TampaBay craigslist. There are a couple of older infinity bookshelves with EMIT tweeters there. There are a similar pair at the local pawn shop.

See what you can get them to ship for.
Hmm, I didn't see any listed by a pawn shop but I did see these:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/1498579889.html

If I wasn't four states away (Northwest of FL) I would look into those, they look pretty nice (And I'm talking about as replacements for my mains). Amazing the amount of stuff you have just for the search word Infinity down there, I live in a big city for the area surrounded by even smaller cities that literally have two to three postings a day in many sections. Our section has quite a bit of stuff, probably a page and a half worth each day but I see stuff like where you live that is three-four pages a day! Crazy, and you actually get some rare stuff on there - everyone here just wants to sell cell phones and car subs, oh and the other favorite - HTIB systems, most made by Magnavox, Phillips, or RCA...boring...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis