M

Mulley2472

Enthusiast
I am looking at either the denon avr s700w or denon avrx1100

Please help me decide. Thank you. I am looking to power a 5.1 system

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
I've not researched either. Nor will I, but I will recommend this: Choose one with multi-channel analog inputs (Disappearing breed, these multi-channel inputs, but still quite useful).

Having these inputs on my AVR allowed me to keep it, and save a bunch of cash by just replacing the BluRay player with a model with an onboard DAC. I use the analog transport to use the players DAC, and get great sound, no hum, no hiss... Via this analog transport, I can play both DVD-A and SACDs on a receiver that does not natively support these streams, and I'm happy as a clam.

Next time a new format comes out, I will do it again; just change the transport, not the receiver. I suggest you look into this particular detail, it may save you loads of dough later.

(I bought a Oppo BDP-103, and kept my beloved HK AVR3600)

Last edited:
G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Then by all means you should start with speakers first. Allocate majority of the budget for speakers and by avr only with required features.
+1! :)

My rule of thumb for a 5.1 audio setup would be to spend around 20% of the total audio budget on the AVR. At the outside, stretched to 25% if you intend to buy speakers in stages or expand to 7.1 later. (What do you think @BoredSysAdmin?)

In other words, for those $500 Denons, you should be looking to spend around $1800 - $2000 on speakers and sub, otherwise you've overspent on the AVR at the expense of speakers. (BTW, you can assemble a terrific 5.1 system from Ascend Acoustics/Rythmik for just under $1900 shipped.)

I am looking at either the denon avr s700w or denon avrx1100

Please help me decide. Thank you. I am looking to power a 5.1 system
Having said all that, here are your choices side-by-side: http://www.crutchfield.com/Responsive/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|033AVS700W&compareItems=01|033AVX1100&g=10420

This choice is easy: The X1100W for Audyssey MultEQ XT (over plain MultEQ on the S700W).

I would be sorely tempted to go with this factory refurbished X2100W for $390 though: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html. ;)

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Buy the Denon .Ive had elites not a fan.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, about 80% of budget should be allowed for speakers. And denon is the way to go, especially with x1000 or x2000 amazon warehouse deals

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis