Need help choosing a receiver.

Alvin Cole

Alvin Cole

Enthusiast
Hello all. Looking to upgrade my receiver and I need help choosing between two.

Onkyo TX NR509 5.1

Sony STR-DH550

Friend of mine is holding these for me at his pawn shop. Any input is welcome.

AJ

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
What are your goals? I often ask myself the following when deciding on new equipment:

* How well will it integrate with other components? (e.g. if you have other Sony equipment, perhaps the Sony makes more sense)

* Is it expanable (i.e. how future-proof is it?) In your case, the Onkyo is more expandable since it has pre-outs, network capability and more inputs.

* How long do I wish to keep the unit? Is this a stepping-stone purchase (at which point it probably won't matter too much). Note this kinda ties in with the expandability question above.

* Is it reasonalbly well-supported? Is it firmware updatable. No problem typically when going new, but in your case the Onkyo appears to be a discontinued model.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why are you set between those 2 given units?

Alvin Cole

Alvin Cole

Enthusiast
What are your goals? I often ask myself the following when deciding on new equipment:

* How well will it integrate with other components? (e.g. if you have other Sony equipment, perhaps the Sony makes more sense)

* Is it expanable (i.e. how future-proof is it?) In your case, the Onkyo is more expandable since it has pre-outs, network capability and more inputs.

* How long do I wish to keep the unit? Is this a stepping-stone purchase (at which point it probably won't matter too much). Note this kinda ties in with the expandability question above.

* Is it reasonalbly well-supported? Is it firmware updatable. No problem typically when going new, but in your case the Onkyo appears to be a discontinued model.
In my current setup all my connection are made at the tv and then coax to my receiver. I want the receiver to become my hub and get greater fictionally and power. I can't say I'd ever (at least in my current place) use a separate amp so pre amps aren't a major deciding factor yet.
I do however want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my limited buck now.

Intrestingly enough I was able to find less documentation online about the onkyo. Also surprisingly it didn't receive very good reviews.

I did note that the onkyo had the lan connection for updating.

The Sony appears to still be supported by them via thier website. It also has a USB connection that I can play my iPhone through.

I'm upgrading from a mfx-450 from magnavox so either I think will be an upgrade but I'm leaning towards the Sony.

Thanks again!

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I like Sony. All seven of our systems except one have at least one Sony component. Peace and goodwill.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis