Need good bookshelves on a budget

G

Globule

Audiophyte
Hello! I'm a newbie audiophile, and I'm looking for good high-quality speakers to use with my PC, to listen to music. First, my budget is about $150 and I do not want to exceed it. So, which bookshelves should I buy? Is Andrew Jones a good speaker designer? His bookshelves seem to have good reviews.
Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics

The thing is I'm not going to buy a subwoofer. I do not need TOO much bass, but the speakers should have enough bass that I can do without a separate sub. I considered going for paradigm atom v5 which is about 200$, but I'm not sure if it is really value for money. And if I have to buy a receiver, it will cost me too much. Please recommend a cheap receiver also. So please recommend a few good speakers that are really high quality. And please tell me about more than one as not all the models I'm looking for might be availabele here in South Asia. Thanks.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
If you just want a stereo pair of bookshelf speakers to connect to your computer, you'll likely be best served by getting a pair of self-powered speakers that can connect directly to your computer, or use a simple USB interface. Otherwise, if you use regular bookshelf speakers, such as the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, you'll also need an amplifier to power them, and that will quickly put you over your $150 budget. Now, if you have extra money that you didn't mention for the amplifier or receiver, then maybe that will work out. But I'm assuming the $150 budget is for everything, so self-powered speakers make the most sense.

My usual recommendation would be the Audioengine 2 . Very easy to connect to a computer, and excellent sound quality for the money. Direct from Audioengine, they're $50 over your budget. I think they're worth the asking price. But you can probably find them on ebay or another auction site for within your budget.

The Alesis M1A 320 USB speakers are about as simple and inexpensive as it gets for computer speakers. Just plug them into a USB port and you're ready. But I'd be wary of their tiny 3" mid-range driver. And I haven't heard them in person myself. I'm just going by the price, easy USB connection, and fairly positive reviews online - although most people have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to sound quality, so who knows!

Behringer always makes good-for-the-money products, and the Behringer MS16 are decent little speakers for the very low price. All you need is a line out connection on your PC and a regular 1/8" stereo cable to hook them up. Or any simple USB sound card, which will easily fit within the budget.

And at the limit of your budget, there's the always popular M-Audio AV40 . Tons of people have these speakers and love them. But, again, I've not actually heard these in person for myself. So I'm only going by reputation here.

If at all possible, try to find these locally and have a listen for yourself. I'll vouch for the Audioengine 2 speakers. They're my "go to" recommendation for this sort of thing. But brand new, they sell above your budget. So hopefully you'll get some other useful recommendations, and maybe be able to check out some of these suggestions for yourself in person to see if any of them will do the trick for you :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Where in asia are you? It's hard to find your local sites without knowing the exact country.

In general Infinity and KEF are both good brand with plenty of international availability. You can get a small amp from hong kong assuming you have the power supply to drive it.

150 is a small budget for a good powered speaker.

G

Globule

Audiophyte
I might go for behringer MS16. I'm currently shortlisting the options. Anyone know how those perform at high volumes? I don't like too much distortion or screechiness that hurts the ear. But a smooth sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Distortion typically does not come from the speaker, it comes from not having enough power for the SPL you are after in your conditions (room size, how loud, etc...) At $150 new, you aren't likely to get room filling output IMO. USED you probably can get a nice stereo receiver/integrated amp and a good pair of speakers for that price.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I own MS16 and while they are nice little speaker for near field, I wont attempt to use them as bookshelves at high volumes

Since you are looking to get a sub as well, I'd recommend to find a used receiver - good one could actually save you money not wasted on external DAC/Speaker amp/Headphone amp etc...
Pioneer SP-BS22 are great value, but sub it's next to impossible to find good one at $200, but there are couple of decent heavy discounted models like this one:Amazon.com: JBL ES250PBK High-Performance 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since you are looking to get a sub as well
The OP is NOT looking to add a sub, so bookshelf speakers with better bass. The BS22s have surprisingly good bass considering they use a 4" midbass, but not great bass. As an all around budget speaker, the BS22 is an excellent choice as long as you don't expect them to have authoritative extension.

Last edited:
G

Globule

Audiophyte
The problem is that in my city, (Kolkata, India) there don't seem to be used audio items like this available. There is a used speaker market here but they are no-brand speakers and that market has a reputation for bad products. I've checked the local ebay also and had no luck finding any good stuff that isn't overpriced. Looking at the options for new speakers.. so far I've got

M-Audio AV30
Behringer MS16
Pioneer BS22 with Lepai Tripath receiver
Dayton B652 (these seem very cheap but do not know if they are any good) with some amp.
Swan M10 speakers

Any more ideas? And which out of these would be better?
I'm searching for more budget speakers also before I make a decision. I'm also scouring the web for used items to see if I missed any. Main thing is.. I need superb clarity and sparkle, at least what I can get for my measly budget..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
On a small budget you can't realistically expect "best of the best" sound. You can have amazing sound or inexpensive, typically not both.

There are a LOT of reviews just on this site about the Pioneers. You really can't go wrong with them.

Based on the info on the B652 here, I would not be expecting great things from them except for the fact that they are that inexpensive.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Any chance you could find an decent woodworker to put some boxes together for you? I know India has a lot of small enterprise like that.

That would be a lot of work and is probably crazy.

I thought M-Audio was a good brand, but I'm not entirely sure. KEF is certainly in India.

G

Globule

Audiophyte
On a small budget you can't realistically expect "best of the best" sound. You can have amazing sound or inexpensive, typically not both.

There are a LOT of reviews just on this site about the Pioneers. You really can't go wrong with them.

Based on the info on the B652 here, I would not be expecting great things from them except for the fact that they are that inexpensive.
OK, sorry... I thought those Pioneers would be available here but I was wrong. It's not available locally apparently and costs twice the price as an import product. I have rechecked and there are available from two dealers though at reasonable prices, these two speakers:
M-Audio AV30, Av40
Behringer MS16.

I think I'll go for the Behringer if I cannot get anything better..

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The OP is NOT looking to add a sub, so bookshelf speakers with better bass. The BS22s have surprisingly good bass considering they use a 4" midbass, but not great bass. As an all around budget speaker, the BS22 is an excellent choice as long as you don't expect them to have authoritative extension.
Sorry, my bad - lack of attention on my part

MS16 is not comparable to AV30/40.
Better comp. to AV40 is Behringer MS40 (and MS20 is comp to AV30)

Your best bet for decent bass would be ported speakers.

If understand correctly MS16 locally would be priced similarly to AV30/40?? Keep in mind here in US, MS16 cost as low as 60 - Behringer MS16 2-Way Active Nearfield Monitors (Pair) MS16 B&H
but AV40 at same store - $140.
If you can get AV40 as approx same price as MS16 - I think it's no brainier which one I would take

Keep in mind one more thing: MS20/MS40 in addition to being powered speakers, also have digital inputs on-board.

G

Globule

Audiophyte
Sorry, my bad - lack of attention on my part

MS16 is not comparable to AV30/40.
Better comp. to AV40 is Behringer MS40 (and MS20 is comp to AV30)

Your best bet for decent bass would be ported speakers.

If understand correctly MS16 locally would be priced similarly to AV30/40?? Keep in mind here in US, MS16 cost as low as 60 - Behringer MS16 2-Way Active Nearfield Monitors (Pair) MS16 B&H
but AV40 at same store - $140.
If you can get AV40 as approx same price as MS16 - I think it's no brainier which one I would take

Keep in mind one more thing: MS20/MS40 in addition to being powered speakers, also have digital inputs on-board.
It seems both MS16 and AV30 are the same price (about 130$) and AV40 is 30$ more. Now that you've said the MS16 cost only 60$ over there, I don't want to buy them anymore. hmm. I'll do some researching on the price. I actually wanted to buy used ones to get more bang for buck, but there's just no good place here to go to, I know you guys have craigslist and ebay, where you can buy an used upright for 100$.. but no such luck here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis