Need Confirmation: First Projector + Screen - Does this make sense?

J

jay21112

Audioholic
I'm upgrading to a Projector and Screen, and I've been reading everywhere trying to figure this out. This is what I came up with, am I correct, or nuts?

1.) Screen: I have a dream of having a screen go from wall to wall. I have 136" from side wall to side wall and 96" from floor to ceiling. My idea is to contact Seymour AV who will custom cut an Acoustically Transparent Fixed Curved screen that I will hang from the ceiling about 5-7 feet (still need to measure) from the front wall to accommodate the front speakers

Now I've been looking at the aspect ratios and feel like I would prefer 2:35 to 16:9 because I like epic movies. However, I was thinking of telling Seymour AV to make me a screen that will be 135" wide (total, including frame) to fit between my walls (I used an inch of fudge room because walls are never perfectly square), and tell them to make the height equal to a 16:9 screen which would probably be (151" Diagonal = 131.5" Wide and 74" High).

Then, I would ask them to give me masking panels to convert the screen to 2:35 (143" Diagonal = 131.6" Wide and 56" High).

Does that make sense? If I have a fixed width (136"), it makes sense to make the screen 16:9 with masking panels for 2:35, right? It wouldn't make sense to make the screen 2:35 with masking panels for 16:9, because that would mean a smaller screen. I'm second guessing myself, because on the net it seems like the majority make their screens 2:35 with masking panels for 16:9. However, I feel like they don't have a fixed width they are trying to hit, so my way is better because of my fixed width. Let me know if I'm way off here, I could be missing something.

2.) Projector: I'm hoping September brings about either new tech or lower prices, but I want something that will display 4K...without spending $20K on the Sony. So I was looking at the JVC DLA-RS49U for about $5K (currently) and using their eshift to simulate 4K.

3.) Now this is where things get dicey. So, from what I read, it seems like to get a 2:35 picture out of the JVC, I would have to use the zoom, and effectively cut off some of the picture. But if I buy an anamorphic lens, I can get a full, clear picture. So, after my bank account has recouped from the projector and screen, I was looking to buy the Panamorph UH480 with the Manual Transport so I can switch back and forth between 2:35 and 16:9 depending on the source material. Of course I have no idea what kind of mounts or throw distance I need until I mount the projector.

4.) Since I'm going to have to route an HDMI cable from the from the floor at the front of the theater to the ceiling at the back (Maybe 50-60 feet total - still need to measure), I'm wondering if I need an HDMI extender/Repeater. But I think they are just add-on items you put in front of the HDMI cable, so I could always hook everything up, and if I get a poor picture, then I can buy one. Any recommendations here? I was looking on Amazon and everything seems to get mixed reviews.

5.) I want to get rid of my horizontal center channel and put a matched LCR behind the screen, so from another thread I decided upon the JTR Noesis 215RT, with my front subs behind them and equipment rack between the subs.

Alright, so.....does that setup work, or do I have more research to do? Feel free to throw me links to any suggested resources / threads.

Oh, and I have already painted the entire room (with the exception of the floor) flat black, recovered all my acoustic panels with black speaker cloth, and boarded up the windows. So, ambient light is not an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Out doing a big project for the last month... But, my response is...

Good choices.... mostly.

There is some debate as to whether or not anamorphic lenses make sense considering the double scaling that must occur in the process you are describing. It also would mean that you would have to reconfigure the setup when switching between 16:9 and 2.35 setups.

Typically anamorphic lenses are used with constant image height setups, and that's not what you are looking to do. You have a constant width.

IMO, set things up as you have planned, then consider whether or not you really want a anamorphic lens at all with that setup.

The curved screen also doesn't really make a ton of sense. Projectors are designed to project onto flat screen surfaces. The use of a curved screen in theaters was about directing light at the audience and the use of specific lenses with commercial projectors which dealt directly with the curved screen. You WILL introduce distortion and loss of focus by using a curved screen when using a projector and lens designed to use a flat screen.

I have a 161" screen and the immersion is great. At this point I can move my chair around wherever I want to, so I really do get the best seat in the house always. But, About 14-16' is my sweet spot. For 2.35 films, I sometimes wish for a masking system, but I don't ever wish for an anamorphic lens.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I think you have a good plan... I would not go with the curved screen though for the reasons posted above. I have a Panasonic AE8000 with a 180" SeymourAV scope screen (pretty much wall to wall screen), and I love it. I don't see any need for a curved screen unless you are going Anamorphic Lens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis