Need clarification on audio...very confused.

I

Iwinulose287

Audiophyte
I apologize beforehand for this post. I have a Yamaha RX-v663 receiver, a PS3 going through it via HDMI, with a HD TV and a 5.1 surround sound system. My question for clarification is, on what setting(s) will i get the best sound? Do i set the PS3 to bitstream or PCM? As far as True HD, DTS, Dolby Digital, etc...if all options are available on a DVD, which sound will be decoded? When playing the Dark Knight, the Dolby Digital light lights up. Is this the sound that is coming through, or just the pretty lights. The movie is capable of True HD and Dolby Digital but i dont know what im listening to. In order to get certain sounds do i have to continually change the PCM or bitstream on the PS3? I am constantly trying different setups within the receiver and am concerned that i have changed something that shouldn't have been changed, but dont know what it is that i changed.

If anyone can decipher the above paragraph and answer at least one of the questions, ill take it.

It may sound as if i am coming from all directions on this, but i am simply trying to get the most from my system. Thank you for your help, advice, comments....in advance.

S

stevez11

Audiophyte
First off is Dark Knight a DVD or Blu Ray that you are playing. I bitstream the audio and let the avr do the work. If you have the blu ray version make sure you have audio set up in the menu for the movie correctly. Set the avr audio to auto and you should be good to go.

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
depends? does that receiver decode the uncompressed audio formats? if the answer is yes, then bitstream it from the ps3 to leave it unaltered to the receiver. if the answer is no, then use linear pcm for the ps3 to decode itself. this is right aint it audioholics?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I can’t find a PDF manual to download so I’m going off the on-line menu.

The PS3 does not bitstream the hi-res, uncompressed, lossless, audio formats (Dolby True-HD & DTS Master Audio). They are decoded by the PS3 and sent via LPCM. The lossy compressed formats, Dolby Digital & DTS, can be bitstreamed and decoded by the receiver.

You need to tell the PS3 which formats the receiver can handle under Settings - Sound Settings - Audio Output Settings. The DD & DTS should be set to Bitstream under BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) under the Video Settings.

On the BD/DVD menu you need to select which audio format you want to use. Otherwise it probably defaults to DD.

If a signal is sent/received via L/PCM the source unit does the decoding and the PCM indicator will light up. When a signal is bitstreamed to the receiver, the receiver does the decoding and the appropriate indicators light up. See receiver pg 30.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis