Need Cabinet Ventilation Suggestions

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Hello Audioholics! I'm new here and I just upgraded my system with a Denon AVR-3700H. Amazing sound, but wow, does this thing get hot! I have it in a cabinet that has a lot of breathing room on top and on the sides, but with the door closed it gets really hot. I was looking at some AC Infinity Aircom fans on Amazon yesterday and was thinking of getting one that sits on top of the receiver. Was also considering adding another fan to mount on the back to ventilate (AC Infinity Airplate S3). So, I have a few questions:

1) Receiver fans: do you recommend AC Infinity? Are there other brands to consider?
2) Fan exhaust direction: I'm thinking exhaust to the rear if I do install the cabinet vent fan. Or to the top if I don't need a cabinet vent. Anything to consider for exhausting to rear vs top?
3) Cabinet Vent Fan: Do I really need one? Would seem so, otherwise the hot air just stays in there. But, what a mess that's going to make!
4) Cabinet Intake Vents: Do I need to add an intake vent, too? My cabinet has a great Southwestern design with triangular cut outs, 3 in each door and one on the side, so 7 total for this side of the cabinet (see photo). They're each about 2 x 1.5". Do you think these cut outs will provide enough airflow for intake vent? I'd really rather not have to put too many holes into this cabinet and make even more of a mess!

Thanks in advance for your input. Who knew one purchase would lead to so many questions!

IMG_1499.jpg

PS, like that old 200 CD carousel?! :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't mind altering the cabinet, then you could get crafty with ventilation in the cabinet itself. First, though... it's what I saw as soon as I looked at that photo:
Pull your speakers up so they are at least slightly in front of that cabinet! Please. ;)

OK.

AC Infinity Aircom T-10 is a front venting unit with Smart Controls that you can add in with no other concerns. You must keep those doors open when in use, and until it cools off or you WILL cook the electronics.

Getting Crafty:
AC Infinity also makes a lot of other cabinet cooling solutions (and rack cooling too). If you wanted to cut ventilation holes and fit grills and fans, you can.
Intake low. Exhaust high. Vent fans at each location pulling in and pushing out air respectively. You would still want something on top of the AVR to help pull fresher air up and through it, and AC Infinity has those two, along with controllers to help manage the fans. You will also need to consider perforating the shelf the AVR sits on so that fresh air intake can help the AVR.

Best solution:
Change your set up.
Wall mount the TV, get a proper open audio component shelf. You will free up some space and you will improve your soundstage since you won't have that cabinet acting as a block to your Speakers.
I sould still ventilate the AVR, but one or 2 little fans on top in an open setting is all you would need to acheive that, and they would likely not even need to run hard.

Just my 2¢.

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Pull your speakers up so they are at least slightly in front of that cabinet! Please. ;)

AC Infinity Aircom T-10 is a front venting unit with Smart Controls that you can add in with no other concerns. You must keep those doors open when in use, and until it cools off or you WILL cook the electronics.

Getting Crafty:
AC Infinity also makes a lot of other cabinet cooling solutions (and rack cooling too). If you wanted to cut ventilation holes and fit grills and fans, you can.
Intake low. Exhaust high. Vent fans at each location pulling in and pushing out air respectively. You would still want something on top of the AVR to help pull fresher air up and through it, and AC Infinity has those two, along with controllers to help manage the fans. You will also need to consider perforating the shelf the AVR sits on so that fresh air intake can help the AVR.
Thanks Ryanosaur. Speaker will definitely be positioned forward...(just got the AVR yesterday and in the middle of set up now!)

I was thinking of the getting the AC Infinity Aircom S8 to sit on top of receiver and vent to back. Then connect the Airplate S3 to S8 via USB to vent out rear via cut hole (high) with intake low. That way I wouldn't have to open the cabinet. Do you know if I connect via USB, whether the S3 will automatically turn on when the S8 turns on? Any concerns about fan noise?

Thanks again!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have 3 Denons and they all run hot. One is in an open rack system. It is much more manageable.

One Denon is in a built in cabinet that was put in before I bought the house. This one was a challenge. I had 2 vent fans and a fan on top of the AVR but even with the cabinet doors open it still ran hot.

I eventually cut a hole in the toe kick and installed a grill for appearance, cut a large opening in the bottom of the cabinet that opens to the area behind the toe kick. I also cut a large opening in the shelf that the AVR is on. I put metal mesh over the large horizontal openings. I also cut large openings in the back of the cabinet and put black cloth mesh across these openings.

The cooling fans rarely kick on now which is a big improvement.

Basically, Itry to avoid setting up a Denon in closed cabinet unless there are no other options.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you do not carefully plan the airflow, you still run a chance of cooking your gear. If you want to back vent (T8 for example), I would make certain you have about 3" space behind the cabinet and cut holes immediately behind the vents of the T8 along with having a support exhaust fan AND the intake fan and added perforations to assist airflow through the cabinet.
What @Mr._Clark described is a perfect example of a well thought out plan for guiding the airflow.

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Thanks Mr. Clark and Ryanosaur,
If I add an exhaust fan with 2x the CFM needed for the cabinet, and add an intake vent, will I need the on-unit fan like the Aircom? I'm thinking that if I create enough airflow, in from bottom, out at top, this might do it. I ordered the Airplate T3 which comes with a thermostat and am hoping this will do it. If I need the on-unit fan, I'll have to get one that exhausts at the top as I don't have 3 inches behind the receiver (thanks for the tip, Ryano).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I can’t stress this enough: you want as much airflow as possible. MrClarks description was really detailed and spot on.
In open air, running Audyssey with the fan off, I’ve seen the thermostat register 113°F on my Marantz. With the fan set to smart, I never see it creep past the low 80s.
That is in open air.
Keep in mind, also, that they instruct you to keep 6-8” open space on all sides, without closing it up. If your device ever registers a heat fault it is logged and Sound United can void your warranty if you ever send it in for service.
This is your system, your ducats.
I would remove those doors and keep it open, if not scrap that cabinet entirely.
Only you can decide what is going to be good enough for you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Eek! Don't run it with those doors closed!

Very good advice already given, just piling on. I'm glad you're here seeking solutions instead of cooking your nice avr!

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Ryanosaur,
Appreciate your advice and I'm buying what you're selling. Now, I'm thinking of moving the DVD and CD dinosaurs to the other cabinet to the right, ditch the shelf and have plenty of space for the Denon. Then put one of the Aircoms on top of the Denon that vents up and let the exhaust fan do the work.
Thanks for emphasizing how important this heat issue is.

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
@ryanosaur, @Mr._Clark, and @Pogre,

Yesterday I installed the Airplate T3, which you can see in the back right corner. Today set up the Aircom T9, top exhaust. Here are preliminary results at a moderate sound level:

Measured with T3 probe:
99 degrees: Doors closed, fans off
94: doors open, fans off

With T3 on (set at 85):
95: doors closed
91: doors open

With T9 set at 82/T3 set at 79:
81/77: doors closed

I'll have to wait until the girls go out to see how higher volumes affect temp and temp regulation, but for regular viewing, this is perfect.

Thanks all for your help!

IMG_1503.jpg
IMG_1505.jpg

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
@ryanosaur, @Mr._Clark, and @Pogre,

Yesterday I installed the Airplate T3, which you can see in the back right corner. Today set up the Aircom T9, top exhaust. Here are preliminary results at a moderate sound level:

Measured with T3 probe:
99 degrees: Doors closed, fans off
94: doors open, fans off

With T3 on (set at 85):
95: doors closed
91: doors open

With T9 set at 82/T3 set at 79:
81/77: doors closed

I'll have to wait until the girls go out to see how higher volumes affect temp and temp regulation, but for regular viewing, this is perfect.

Thanks all for your help!

View attachment 44710View attachment 44711
One thing you might want to try is putting some 2x3s under the Denon to create a little more space under it. The temperatures look good but it might reduce the need for the fans a little

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
The ACInfinity units work great, they keep my AVR and old Onkyo M-508 amp from melting down. The temp on both stays at 81F, max. Only negative is the dust and cat hair they collect under them. About once a month, I take my home vac and use it on them and then a damp rag to make everything look brand new again.

M

MSL92

Audiophyte
Ok, girls went out this afternoon and I queued up David Byrne's American Utopia from the DVR. We had seen this show in 2019 on Broadway before the pandemic and planned to go again when he circled back around to the NY area (now, maybe in 2022?). At volume level 90/100, the sound, depth, clarity, and imaging were awesome. I had to put in my larger center speaker because the smaller one was not keeping up with the other speakers and the power of the new Denon receiver.

the AC Infinity combo worked perfectly. T9 fan was set at 4 bars and 82 degrees, T3 at 1 bar and 79. Both units maintained set temperatures. I assume if T9 is set at a lower fan level it would still maintain temp, but at that volume level, who cares?!

I am really happy with the performance of this AC Infinity combo. Although it would have been great if the T3 worked on its own, that was wishful thinking. The only measurement I haven't taken is the T9 on its own. I don't think it will be any better than the T3's performance (hot) since the hot air will stay in the cabinet. But, at some point I'll check it out just for fun.

I told my wife that the audio sounds so good, now it's time to upgrade the television!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis