Need bluray error fix or recommendation on a new player for my setup.

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
I've had this Sony bluray player for a long time now. All of a sudden I get a error when trying to play a disc that says "ext memory in the ext jack on rear of unit not recognized". I've googled this error and some people say to put a USB thumb drive in this EXT USB slot. I put a 8gb drive in there and nothing.

Here is the player.

Amazon.com: Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black): Electronics

If you aren't sure whats wrong with it do you have a recommendation on a player that's not too expensive? I figure I'm due for a upgrade.

I'm running a Denon AVR 1913 with a viewsonic 8200 pro projector. I don't really need all the streaming services. I mainly play blu ray and music. So those are my top priority.

Thanks in advance

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
See if you can find the latest firmware for it or find out how to perform a factory reset. It sounds like it may have internal memory and that memory is corrupt or full. A reset will likely simply clear it. Definitely do this first before buying a new one.

AFAIK, the USB drive may have to be FAT formatted for the player to recognize it, as some older models including the PS3 had this limitation.

If you replace it, just look at whatever the current Sony models are and they should be fine: Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S390 Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (Black): Electronics. I am more a fan of the Panasonics so maybe the BDT220 Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player: Electronics but I think the new models are due to be out soon too.

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies. I tried the reset several times and nothing. The ext memory jack recognizes the USB stick but it still doesn't help the problem.

Probably going to order the Panasonic JG recommended or wait for the newer model. Shows on the Panasonic website as shipping in March which is a day late of course. I have a cheapo blu ray player I can use in the meantime.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis