Need Assistance Selecting Speaker Wire?

J

JEidt

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I recently purchased a set of Polk RTi8 fronts, a CSi5 Center, & a set of Rti-4 surrounds based on my budget & audioholics.com member recommendations. These speakers will be attached to a Pioneer 52tx Elite Receiver.

Please recommend a particular vendor for about 100 feet of speaker wire.
Also - what is biamping? Both the Polks & Elite are biampable.
What does this mean?
How do I connect the wire to the Reciever & speakers?
The receiver has Banana Clips.

Also - 25 inches of snow in Danbury,CT

Thanks again,

John

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased 100' of 14ga Philips wire from Lowe's for about $25. I also bought some banana plugs from Rat Shack. Later, I will probably get some heat shrink to "pretty" up the cables that are exposed.

-Lou

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
JEidt said:
Hi all,

I recently purchased a set of Polk RTi8 fronts, a CSi5 Center, & a set of Rti-4 surrounds based on my budget & audioholics.com member recommendations. These speakers will be attached to a Pioneer 52tx Elite Receiver.

Please recommend a particular vendor for about 100 feet of speaker wire.
Also - what is biamping? Both the Polks & Elite are biampable.
What does this mean?
How do I connect the wire to the Reciever & speakers?
The receiver has Banana Clips.

Also - 25 inches of snow in Danbury,CT

Thanks again,

John
I would support Lou on this recommendation. Buy 14ga or 12ga, by price, not brand name, unless the looks of that cable is important:D

J

Jay M

Audiophyte
I just yesterday installed new speaker wire from Rat Shack. I wanted something flat to go under the carpet. Their 14gauge was $19 for 50 feet. I also used their Banana plugs. I like how tight they fit and the fact that I can solder them

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103479&cp=&kw=banana&parentPage=search

The only problem I have with the wire running under the carpet is that the ceramic blocks that suspend the wire make the floor lumpy ;)

But seriously everything worked well accept that the polarity isn't marked on the wire. I had to use a multi-meter and a Sharpie to mark them.

~Jay

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Belden speaker wire

Check out Belden 5100UP (14AWG x 2) or 5000UP (12AWG x 2) from weslake for $0.18 / foot. It is high quality copper wire with a PVC jacket that is rated for in-wall installation.

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Jay M said:
The only problem I have with the wire running under the carpet is that the ceramic blocks that suspend the wire make the floor lumpy ;)
~Jay

Can you expand on these ceramic block? Why are they there? I am not picturing their roll in this.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
mtrycrafts said:
Can you expand on these ceramic block? Why are they there? I am not picturing their roll in this.
you mean you don't suspend your boombox on a ceramic block? you've been in the dark all these ages. you will get better sound when your boombox is on top of a block (even when on top of a desk) :p :rolleyes:

ESPECIALLY when you load it up on your shoulder. you will get a surround effect when you do this. :D

Jay M was making a joke i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Funny story,

Guy at my work was talking about a totem demo/conference he went to, and they brought out the totem "beak". Its a medal bullet, that they placed on top of the speaker, and he said "you could instantly hear the difference"

I almost slapped him.

SheepStar

D

DaveOCP

Audioholic
I've had very good results with surplus mil-spec silver coated copper teflon wire. A 50ft, 12AWG roll is maybe $20. It's funny, some companies like XLO and Tara Labs say that silver coating is the worst thing you can do to speaker wire. Other companies like Nordost and Wireworld use it in their mega-buck flagships. Who's wrong?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
DaveOCP said:
I've had very good results with surplus mil-spec silver coated copper teflon wire. A 50ft, 12AWG roll is maybe $20. It's funny, some companies like XLO and Tara Labs say that silver coating is the worst thing you can do to speaker wire. Other companies like Nordost and Wireworld use it in their mega-buck flagships. Who's wrong?
Well, silver in not very durable over time. Gold would be a better coating.

SheepStar

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
12 or 14 AWG Spool From Hardware Store..

I was able to pick up a 250' spool of 12 AWG wire from Lowes for just under $40.00. The polarity is lightly labled (one wire no print, the other light print), so it is distinguishable. Great for long runs, solid jacketing as well.

I've been using this cable for over 4 years, without any fancy schmancy ceramic wire/cable elevators and the signal is as clean as a whistle... -TD

J

JEidt

Audioholic Intern
In Wall Speaker Wire vs. Outside Wall

tomd51 said:
I was able to pick up a 250' spool of 12 AWG wire from Lowes for just under $40.00. The polarity is lightly labled (one wire no print, the other light print), so it is distinguishable. Great for long runs, solid jacketing as well.

I've been using this cable for over 4 years, without any fancy schmancy ceramic wire/cable elevators and the signal is as clean as a whistle... -TD
I plan to run the speaker wire on top of the carpet against the perimeter of the room. The speaker wire will not be seen

My question is: Is the 12 AWG wire for in wall or outside wall use?

How do I biamp the speaker wire? Both my receiver & speakers can be biamped. I have read that biamping is the way to go.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
JEidt said:
My question is: Is the 12 AWG wire for in wall or outside wall use?
That depends on the speaker wire you buy.

JEidt said:
How do I biamp the speaker wire? Both my receiver & speakers can be biamped.
You simply run two pairs od speaker wire between the two amps and the speaker.

JEidt said:
I have read that biamping is the way to go.
In some cases, maybe, but why do you think you need it? Seriously, do you know what it is and when it can help?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Slap him one for me will ya.

Sheep said:
Funny story,

Guy at my work was talking about a totem demo/conference he went to, and they brought out the totem "beak". Its a medal bullet, that they placed on top of the speaker, and he said "you could instantly hear the difference"

I almost slapped him.

SheepStar
*mutters something about snakeoil bull sh?t!!!*

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis