Need Advice With Drivers And Crossovers

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think you're referring to Ohms law described here:
https://www.swtc.edu/Ag_Power/electrical/lecture/parallel_circuits.htm
Specifically point 3

The problem is that Ohm's laws don't apply to speakers they don't have static resistance, but a dynamic impedance. Ie depends on frequency impedance changes
No. . .this is something way cruder than ohms law and was merely based on wattage rating of the drivers and was a street thing. Some of these folks actually managed to pull it off decently, or at least get somewhat lucky.

It's not something I would do because there are too many good kits and I am after the best sound I can get and I respect those who have spent the time to learn the trade.

A

Ak Canuck

Audiophyte
Top left corner of the photo you can just make out the bookshelf speakers being held up on the purlin with a wire across the front of them. When I show up at the shop, I can often hear this thing bumping out in the parking lot and have to turn it down when I get to my bench. They hook up their cell phones to it and play stuff that I would not torture an enemy with. :)

Thanks, but that system would not work in my shop. It's 10,000 square feet.

Shame that he's unwilling to try some proven DIY designs or to take a chance on the hobby he's dismissing as a waste of time. I know of one welder with some rather impressive speaker builds. :)
Oh, Jesus.. You know what, thanks, but I'll take my chances with whatever random gear I end up with. Im sure I must be too stupid to notice any difference in sound quality anyway. And if I blow up drivers, I'll just think, "That's rad.."

You can all get back to enjoying each other's company.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, but that system would not work in my shop. It's 10,000 square feet.

Oh, Jesus.. You know what, thanks, but I'll take my chances with whatever random gear I end up with. Im sure I must be too stupid to notice any difference in sound quality anyway. And if I blow up drivers, I'll just think, "That's rad.."

No, not that one exactly, but either would the system you are describing putting together. How many MTX boxes are we talking here. I have MTX speakers that have 2-12" woofers in them that were in my truck and I can't imagine them being enough either.

Mostly, music in my shop is more ambient than all out jamming and most the guys use the stinkin ear buds with their phones anyway.

10,000 sq ft is getting up in PA speaker territory. Just for the heck of it, check out some of the speaker kits at http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ .

I built the Fusion-12 Tempests from that site and they are outrageously loud and clear and on surprisingly little power. I don't know how much you have spent, or what kind of budget you are working with etc.

Honestly, if I was trying what you are and I blew a driver, I probably would laugh about it and try something else. I have built car speakers before without any real technical approach and had them work well enough and a lot better than some of the stuff the stores sell at least.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Shame that he's unwilling to try some proven DIY designs or to take a chance on the hobby he's dismissing as a waste of time. I know of one welder with some rather impressive speaker builds. :)

I didn't mean any offense, although I'm struggling to figure out what I said that was untrue or insulting. What I said was intended to pay a compliment to @MrBoat. I admire his work.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't mean any offense, although I'm struggling to figure out what I said that was untrue or insulting. What I said was intended to pay a compliment to @MrBoat. I admire his work.
Don't sweat it. Some people are sensitive to being wrong and direct facts come across dry and condescending no matter how politely they are presented. The tech world can often have a lot of starch in it's collars at times and some people take it a bit too personally. It helps if one can find some humor in their own ignorance on the matters because it's much more fun that way.

Those of us who are willing to suck it up and hang around long enough manage to accomplish some great things via a lot of what would otherwise be costly information.

If I had the chance, I'd buy all of you that have helped a beer or 3.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I had the chance, I'd buy all of you that have helped a beer or 3.
I carefully avoided saying anything in this thread… until that offer. Thanks, but you'll have to make that a digital beer :D.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I don't have the time or interest to make an entire fucking hobby out of this. I'm just looking to upgrade the speakers in the welding shop I work in. So my fellow basic welders and I can listen to some music.

So, really, regardless of your opinion of my approach, like I said, I'm not looking to turn this into a hobby or become a self-educated sound engineer.
Should make that part of your original post then. Most here would be trying to make the project sound as good as possible.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Should make that part of your original post then. Most here would be trying to make the project sound as good as possible.
Yeah. I am going to join a forum named "AudioHOLICS" and not expect such exacting replies, posted in a "DIY" secton, no less. lol

The internet never ceases to amaze. I often ponder what psychological journals are going to consist of a couple decades from now, with likely a huge section devoted to. . . . PISD. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What really gets me is, folks take the time to reply and offer help only to be insulted when advice is given. When I came to this place I showed a little humility because I knew I didn't know sh!t. Reading a couple of the replies in this thread made me not even want to offer advice.

R

roadrune

Audioholic
I totally agree, i could have given more answers to the OP, but with that ignorant attitude i just wont bother.

Anyway he clearly knows best so i dont see the point asking in the first place.

G

gzubeck

Audioholic
I'm installing new woofers, mids, tweeters, and passive 3-way crossover panels in a pair of old MTX speaker boxes.

Each speaker box should be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 625 watts RMS. The crossovers are each rated for 500 watts RMS, 1200 watts max. I have some new drivers but before installing anything, I need to understand how the crossovers split up the wattage that goes to each driver.

In other words, if 625 watts of power is coming from the amp to the crossover input, how many watts will be going to the woofer, midrange, and tweeter? Is it still 625 to each driver, or is there a certain percentage of the power going to each?

Thanks
It sounds like you want high power handling speakers. I would suggest you look at the ones you might purchase at US speakers and a couple of other pro audio speakers than can handle that kind of power. The other thing is that if you have a 15 inch woofer you need to find out what the recommended box dimensions are and what size port might be needed. I will say this...you can get ok audio but it won't be perfect unless you have someone that can run a three way sim using at frd and zma files. Also, you need to have the dimensions from speaker positions from your tweeter as the zero point. Believe it or not understanding that if your tweeter is set at 0 and your midrange is -30 milimeters deep can mean the difference of your speakers sounding bright and nasty in the crossover region. Another thing that everyone has mentioned is the sensitivity of your speakers. You don't want to try mating a 98 db woofer with a 90 db mid-range and then a 102 db tweeter. you can see how this can really make things difficult. Your only as loud as your weakest link so you would have to do extraordinary modifications to make it work and not very well. Give me a list of your intended speakers and maybe we can figure something out for you.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds like you want high power handling speakers. I would suggest you look at the ones you might purchase at US speakers and a couple of other pro audio speakers than can handle that kind of power. The other thing is that if you have a 15 inch woofer you need to find out what the recommended box dimensions are and what size port might be needed. I will say this...you can get ok audio but it won't be perfect unless you have someone that can run a three way sim using at frd and zma files. Also, you need to have the dimensions from speaker positions from your tweeter as the zero point. Believe it or not understanding that if your tweeter is set at 0 and your midrange is -30 milimeters deep can mean the difference of your speakers sounding bright and nasty in the crossover region. Another thing that everyone has mentioned is the sensitivity of your speakers. You don't want to try mating a 98 db woofer with a 90 db mid-range and then a 102 db tweeter. you can see how this can really make things difficult. Your only as loud as your weakest link so you would have to do extraordinary modifications to make it work and not very well. Give me a list of your intended speakers and maybe we can figure something out for you.
You... didn't read this thread, did you? lol

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis