Need Advice. Which Power Amplifier Do I Get?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand...we all like new gear.

SQ...It's kind of shame you aren't able to do an in person demo. Class AB designs of similar price ranges are going to sound very similar. As I mentioned, I think the Monolith would be plenty of amp for your needs, but of the two you mentioned, I'd go for the A2, just wouldn't spend $1k more on the Benchmark.

We're probably close in age...saw the transition from LP to CD and experienced 8 track, reel to reel, etc. like you I'm a Jazz lover, but also like other genres...I've rebuilt my system from the ground up. Most of my gear was in that 20 yr old range as well...When the Salk Sound Song3 A speakers arrive the redo will be completed. I've been a dedicated 2 channel guy for 30+ yrs...as part of this redo I bought a Oppo 205 and started dabbling in SACD and multi channel music.

Coming from the equipment you have and the interest in buying...I know the details in the music matter to you. Some of these remastered CDs in SACD and or multi channel are clearly better than the initial recordings and worth the investment.

In either case, good luck with your purchase...you really can't go wrong from a music stand point with either amp imo.
I also think the Monolith 2X200W or the Anthem A2 are good choices due to his depth restriction.

Edit: Just realize the MCA 225 will be too deep, so that's out.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
As far as SQ, between any of the top names, or even possibly generics these days, for that matter, has pretty much been resolved with a great deal of redundancy. So much so, in fact, that one could drive themselves crazy with the tiniest details, at least by ear. The deciding factor, or target should be more towards reliability and longevity. The latter of which, seems to be rather superfluous with regard to how fast people tend to upgrade these days. Usually for no other reason than style or features upgrade.

I noticed the newer Outlaw amp has the same DAC as my 14 year old Denon AVR. So what have they really improved other than features?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I also think the Monolith 2X200W or the Anthem A2 are good choices due to his depth restriction. However, I think the MCA225 is a much better deal than the A2. I have a MCA20 for 6 years now, no complain whatsoever. I do feel that at their price levels, Anthem should use larger transformers and capacitors though.
I think one trend that I've seen on this forum from most of the posters...they tend to seek value and I fall in line with that mindset.

C

ct221933

Enthusiast
Coming from the equipment you have and the interest in buying...I know the details in the music matter to you. Some of these remastered CDs in SACD and or multi channel are clearly better than the initial recordings and worth the investment.
I am seriously considering a SACD player (Marantz Yamaha) or multi format player such as the Oppo UDP 205. The only drawback is that that SACD cost twice as much as the CD. I have to do an A/B comparison between the SACD and CD versions of a track this Tuesday when I visit an audio shop in Austin.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm a very satisfied Oppo UDP-205 owner, I use it also to drive my headphones and couldn't be happier

jinjuku

jinjuku

I saw the alternate Crown XLS 1502 recommended and would also recommend that amp. It's simply a transparent amp. It will have plenty of power and allow you to be a bit more green.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am seriously considering a SACD player (Marantz Yamaha) or multi format player such as the Oppo UDP 205. The only drawback is that that SACD cost twice as much as the CD. I have to do an A/B comparison between the SACD and CD versions of a track this Tuesday when I visit an audio shop in Austin.
I don't know what music you're going to demo but I'll say this...SACDs should be researched a bit more than a 16/44 CD...some recordings are not any better...maybe a little louder, some are considerably better. The good thing is many buyers have shared their thoughts so it's not difficult to find reviews.

In general, think details. Your speakers can reveal it....I was told this here on this site and my brief experience confirms it, the wow factor comparison is probably in multi channel.

Even though I'm like 70% music, I built this system to cover music and movies. A blu-ray source was always part of the plan. Admittedly I was curious about SACDs but the Oppo was really to replace my CD player and the ability to play Blu ray discs/SACDs was a bonus.

I like traditional jazz and fusion. Take a well known CD such as Miles...Kind Of Blue...I had this on LP, and still have the CD and now SACD multi channel...states 5.1, but it's really a 3.1 channel recording. It's much cleaner, bigger sound stage, love the bass channel separated. Most of the available discs for this album are pressed in Japan and imported but well worth the $30 to me. Another favorite, the Bill Evans Trio...Explorations...this is 2 ch but an excellent recording, noticeably better than CD...got this one for $15 on Amazon. Diana Krall I have several on SACD...the sound engineers on the ones I bought did great work. They were all $15.

At the end of the day, it's in the details.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I also think the Monolith 2X200W or the Anthem A2 are good choices due to his depth restriction.

Edit: Just realize the MCA 225 will be too deep, so that's out.
Both are good quality vice. Mca 225 will be have less tranformer noise but will generate pops while on and off like my 525.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I.... I have to do an A/B comparison between the SACD and CD versions of a track this Tuesday when I visit an audio shop in Austin.
Be very careful with such test. Do you know how the two formats are mastered? Maybe it is a mastering difference, not a format difference.

C

ct221933

Enthusiast
Here is my current set up....

Hafler 9303 power amp
Rotel RC 1570 preamp
Cambridge Audio Azur 550C CD player
Paradigm Prestige 75F

You can see that any component I have must be less than 14 inch in depth.

I thought about the Rotel RB-1552 mk II, but I think it will be marginally better than my Hafler 9303.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis