Need advice on small amp drive bookshelf speakers

kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
Hi all, after few days of searching and reading a lot of reviews and articles, I'm confused. I've just bought pioneerelectronics dotcom/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-BS22-LR Pioneer BS22LR and discovered that it need an amp to drive it (I know how noob I am)

so I have some options to chose:

1. DTA-120

2. Topping TP22 TK2050

3. Indeed TA2021

4. Lepai LP-2020A+

5. AudioSource AMP-100

which one should I pick, I'm from Australia so that means shipping fees base on the weight of component. My target is best bang for the buck and don't exceed 150 AUD (~140 usd), and I will put on study room (small)

also ask for the wire, is this OK? amazon[.]com/gp/product/B002JP4Z96/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER]Amazon dotcom: Rca AH1450SR 14-Gauge Speaker Wire (50 feet): Electronics

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have any import restrictions for ordering from Hong Kong? I've read good things about this amp: SMSL SA-98E

Also, you really don't need to obfuscate your hyperlinks. It's pretty obvious you aren't a spammer. :)

Edit: Yeah, 14 gauge wire is overkill. 16 gauge should be fine, really, unless your "small study room" is like your small snakes or your small spiders. But there's no reason for you to import that. There are bound to be tons of places you can order 16 gauge speaker wire domestically, or even pick it up locally. If nothing else, you can just use stranded lamp cord. 16 gauge ~= 1.3mm² I think, if that's the measurement used by your electronics or hardware store.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would just get any AVR receiver - Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer. Don't buy an amp.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
14 AWG wire is fine and means you won't have to rethink it for future use in most cases.

Since shipping is a factor, a receiver might be a better choice. For stereo only, you can just get a stereo receiver and there should be some in that price range.

Amazon.com: Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver (R-S201BL): Electronics

Given that I've had TWO Topping amps go wonky on me, I would not recommend them. I'm considering replacing my TP-60 with a DTA-120 or APA-150. If size is a real concern, the DTA-120 would be the way to go.

kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
Thank you all for replying!
No I don't have problem with import from Hong Kong, Because this is my first post so I'm restricted to show URL until I have 6 posts, sorry guys. But are you sure smsl da 98E is better than any amp I posted? Because the shipping for that amp is$ 22

Some suggested me to buy amp in local store, but you don't know electronics stuffs in here is so expensive. For example, Yamaha receiver Rx-v675 is 900 aud and it is a Sale price, how insane!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you all for replying!
No I don't have problem with import from Hong Kong, Because this is my first post so I'm restricted to show URL until I have 6 posts, sorry guys. But are you sure smsl da 98E is better than any amp I posted? Because the shipping for that amp is$ 22

Some suggested me to buy amp in local store, but you don't know electronics stuffs in here is so expensive. For example, Yamaha receiver Rx-v675 is 900 aud and it is a Sale price, how insane!
I think it'll be worth the high cost of shipping. It's still well within your budget. There might be a seller on Ali Express with cheaper shipping though, maybe even free.

That AudioSource AMP-100 in your list is also very nice, but I think it's bigger and heavier than the SMSL. The AMP-100 is what I use for my kinetic transducers, and I have no complaints. If you intend to stick to your list, then that's what I'd choose.

If you insist on ordering speaker wire from Amazon U.S., get this one.

Why? I don't use with anything else except my 2.0 speakers
The point is so that you can use your 2.0 speakers with multiple sources without having to unplug / plug devices. Adding the ability to use a remote control is also a nice benefit. I just came across this stereo receiver which looks pretty good. Might be worth adding to the cart and starting the checkout process to see whether shipping to Australia will be within your budget.

Last edited:
kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
Hi Rojo, I'm really confused. The amp you suggested is SMSL SA-98E in ali express has varies watt output, 160, 120, 100. which one is genuine one. I found this one is free shipping to Australia goo.gl/DyfA3X
BTW is that class D? what is different between class D and T, I heard class T is better, isn't it?

Sorry I'm still newbie

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In all honesty, just because they are physically small doesn't mean they won't benefit from power. Small speakers tend to be bass shy and nothing brings out whatever low end they do have better than having adequate power to bring out whatever bass they do have.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Rojo, I'm really confused. The amp you suggested is SMSL SA-98E in ali express has varies watt output, 160, 120, 100. which one is genuine one. I found this one is free shipping to Australia goo.gl/DyfA3X
BTW is that class D? what is different between class D and T, I heard class T is better, isn't it?

Sorry I'm still newbie
All those wattage values are genuine. When the gain is turned up to the point that there's 10% THD, the amp is pushing 160 watts to a 4 ohm load, 120 watts to 6 ohms, or 100 watts to 8 ohms. The same amp is rated differently by different sellers -- like this eBay auction at 140, 105, and 70. Part of the discrepancy could also be attributed to the fact that the amp can be fed from a power supply that's anywhere from 24V to 36V. Maybe some of the lower measurements were taken with a 24V power supply?

Typically, though, amps aren't rated at such a high distortion rate. I'd use those values to guess at a more conservative rating of 80 / 60 / 50W @ 0.1% THD or thereabouts. Different manufacturers rate their amps using different criteria, so the actual ratings are more of a guideline estimate than gospel truth -- more a means of comparing different amps by the same manufacturer than anything. Also, amps are rated using a monophonic signal (Sing, Johnny One Note!), which offers very little to predict their real-world performance of playing polyphonic signals through complex speaker loads. To complicate matters even further, your speakers are rated at 6 ohms, but they aren't a consistent 6 ohms throughout the entire 60-ish Hz - 20,000Hz range. Two other things to note are that the difference between 80W and 160W is only 3dB, and most listening is done at < 10W, regardless of the amp's rating. A stronger amp is better at supplying power for peaks, for better dynamics without clipping, so getting as high power an amp as you can (within reason) is a good idea. In other words, even though you may only be listening at 5 watts of power RMS, an 80W amp is still better than a 50W for doing so.

So how does one pick an amp from such a complicated, deceptive mess? Well, doing what you're doing, asking around and leaning on other people's experiences is the best way, really. Looking for independent 3rd-party measurements is another. In any case, SMSL makes solid amps for the money. There's your word-of-mouth recommendation.

Re: amp classes, class T is a type of class D amp. See AH's amp classes article and the Wikipedia entry for class T amps.

Re: the amp you found with free shipping to AU, be careful to read what you're agreeing to. That one does not include a power adapter. You'll have to purchase a separate 36V power supply.

Anyway, no need to apologize for your rookie status. Nobody knows everything.

Last edited:
kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
thank you so much Rojo, you always reply with full detail and clear explanation. Now I have to make a shorter list.
I have Pioneer BS22LR and:
1. Go with tiny amp:
a. SMSL SA-98E ($108 delivered)
b. DTA-120 ($129 delivered)
c. Topping TP22 TK2050 (j_garcia doesn't recommend it)
d. Low quality but cheap Lepai LP-2020A+
e. AudioSource AMP-100 $166 (it's over my budget, but Rojo said it's very nice)
2. Go with Receivers as you guys suggest don't buy amp and receivers has more features
a.Sherwood RX-4105 Stereo Receiver
b. Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver R-S201BL

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
How much would it cost you to buy that Yamaha receiver including shipping?

kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
209 AUD, is it worth? Cause I need to explain to my Mrs Boss

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hmm. That's getting into AVR price range. What city do you live in?

kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
I live in Adelaide, Australia. Everything is expensive in here, especially electronics stuff

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I see. Dennis White has a Denon AVR-X500 for $399, which is about the best AVR deal I see locally. So, AVRs are out. Let me keep looking....

kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
thank you, in here it's 500 AUD

EDIT: oh sorry, now I know what you meant, so thank you for helping me, I even didn't know that store located in AUstralia lol

Last edited:
kennyssp

kennyssp

Enthusiast
Would you consider used? Have a look at this Yamaha RX-V457. It's amazeballs compared to everything else on your list thusfar, and well under your budget.
oh wow, it's cheap $80, but I'm so afraid of used stuff without warranty and also don't know who is the seller (ebay and paypal is safer I think to guard myself). again...wow

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis