Need Advice on New Speaker Setup

M

mig1980

Enthusiast
Good day everyone. My wife and I just purchased a home and my current Klipsch speaker setup will not work. I will be moving it up to the master bedroom and purchasing a new setup for the family room.

My family room is an open concept that flows to the kitchen and only has two walls. The rear and left (if I am looking at the tv) do not have walls.

I have a Denon 2312 receiver that works great and I will be using it to power the new speakers. What I will be using this setup for mostly is movie watching and music. I LOVE MOVIES!!!!

I would like to keep costs around $1,500 for speakers.

Let me know your thoughts!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why doesn't your Klipsch setup work?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Is that with a subwoofer? What is the sqft and ceiling height of the room?

Check into ascend acoustics, my all around favorite HT speaker, very warm, accurate, and they shine in an HT environment... The finish on the box is not the greatest material, you can definitely tell where the money is spent, in the speaker vs on the enclosure...
2-340s for left and right, with a 340 center and a 200 set of surrounds {my exact setup} will cost $1158 only leaving you $350 ish for a subwoofer, this is enough for a polk 505 for $200 or a pair of them for $400 getting you a little over budget.... or 2 bic f12's for $360ish....

My system is the same as above with a pair of HSU vtf2 subwoofers {under $1200 shipped} and it is as good as I have ever heard for any price, movies are hard to do critical listening, so to me its just a matter of getting a good clean speaker with a warm neutral sound....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Infinity P163 x 5 speakers. Right now they are $100 shipped each, but they often go on sale for $85 each shipped.

Rythmik LV12 x 2 subs = $1,060 shipped.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Before we can really do any good, it helps if we know why the Klipschs aren't working out. Only a fool would suggest somethng without knowing that.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Before we can really do any good, it helps if we know why the Klipschs aren't working out. Only a fool would suggest somethng without knowing that.
woa. easy.

I am going out on a limb here but it sounds like he got a larger room and now the klipschs are not good enough, or maybe they just suck like they tend too :).... Who cares why they don't work, maybe the cats scratched them up and they don't want scratched speakers in the living room, maybe they got them from "rent a center" and never paid for them and they are worried someone will see them because the new house has lots of windows, maybe they were struck by lightening and now have become electronic zombies and keep trying to attack guests so they keep them in the bedroom away from stangers, who cares, maybe this guy just wants a new set of speakers, I refuse to hold back my speaker experience for someone who wants to buy new ones, I say buy them all.............. in duplicate...

PS "do any good" we are giving suggestions on entertainment electronics, not curing cancer or rescuing kidnapped babies.. lol :D

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
woa. easy.

PS "do any good" we are giving suggestions on entertainment electronics, not curing cancer or rescuing kidnapped babies.. lol :D
Speak for yourself man. Right after dinner, I cured a kidnapped baby of cancer while juggling kittens with one eye tied behind my back.

Hi mig1980, welcome to the forum.

I think there are more important questions for mig1980, do you want floor standing or bookshelf speakers? That will narrow the suggestions. Do you have anywhere near you to audition speakers? Have you heard anything you like? Also, with the layout of the room, are you looking for a front R/L, a front R/L with a center, 5.1,or 7.1? The .1 indicates a subwoofer.

I have these EMP Tek Tower Speaker, with this center EMP Tek E56Ci Large Center Channel Speaker and I'm very happy with this set up.

J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
Speak for yourself man. Right after dinner, I cured a kidnapped baby of cancer while juggling kittens with one eye tied behind my back.

Hi mig1980, welcome to the forum.

I think there are more important questions for mig1980, do you want floor standing or bookshelf speakers? That will narrow the suggestions. Do you have anywhere near you to audition speakers? Have you heard anything you like? Also, with the layout of the room, are you looking for a front R/L, a front R/L with a center, 5.1,or 7.1? The .1 indicates a subwoofer.

I have these EMP Tek Tower Speaker, with this center EMP Tek E56Ci Large Center Channel Speaker and I'm very happy with this set up.
Hahaha.

Could be a need for in ceiling speakers? (Please tell me no)... I mean you can do it and it can sound pretty good but in room cabinets are where it's at.

M

mig1980

Enthusiast
Good day everyone. Thank you for all your replies. To answer some of the questions, the reason the klipsch won't work is because the rear speakers are relatively bulky and mounted to the rear wall. No rear wall in our new place. Instead of removing speakers out of the set, I would rather just stick the entire set in our master bedroom and buy something different for the family room.

The ceiling height is 9'...wish it were taller but oh well. The living space is about 17' x 14'.

I am looking for a 5.1 setup. My receiver does support 7.2 setup but I was using the 2 channels from the 7 to power the zone 2 for ambiance speakers. I will be having 4 speakers throughout the home. I was also planning on setting up some more speakers in the backyard so I wonder if I should just buy another receiver for all of the ambiance speakers (4 inside home plus 2 or 3 outside).

Thinking about it, would also appreciate some input on some decent outside speakers for my patio. I would be mounting them on the outside wall of the home. I would prefer not to spend more than $100 a speakers for these.

I am not really looking for in-ceiling/in-wall speakers although I would love some if they sounded great and were in my budget. I currently have the klipsch synergy bundle and they are about 9 years old. I actually loved them. I'm sure they were not the greatest but they sounded good to me.

The more compact the speakers the better for me as the space is not huge but do want good sound. The $1,500 budget would include another subwoofer as well. I currently have the synergy 12" sub and I love the base it gives. Not sure if I would be comfortable with a 10".

If there are any other specific questions you all may have before you can provide input, feel free to let me know.

Thank you

Last edited:
J

Jim Hawkins

Enthusiast
Infinity P163 x 5 speakers. Right now they are $100 shipped each, but they often go on sale for $85 each shipped.

Rythmik LV12 x 2 subs = $1,060 shipped.
I think this is a good way to go. I would also put in that you could get five Polk monitor 50 or 55 s and then two SVS sub's. The sub's are about five hundred a piece with the Polks regularly being about $100 shipped. Plus you don't need stands or mounts. This is really dependent on how high your screen is too. Tower would need to fit under it. Course you could get the matching center.

M

mig1980

Enthusiast
So after doing some further analyzing at our new place, I have decided to go with in ceiling and in wall speakers instead. Not for everything as I will be going with a cabinet style speaker for the center channel but was hopping to do the rest in ceiling/wall. Was even thinking of having and in wall sub.

Any thoughts/recommendations here? I really want to keep that sleek/clean look. Could possibly reside my 12" Klipsch sub but would prefer not to.

Let me know ASAP guys as I am looking at buying something in the next few days.

Thank you

M

mig1980

Enthusiast
Any more input on in-ceiling, and center channel speakers? I am looking at making a decision in the next few days and have decided to reuse my subwoofer.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You might find in-wall speakers a bit more suitiable for home theatre use. Ceiling spealers might work for music but wall speakers flanking the TV would help anchor the sound to the picture better.

M

mig1980

Enthusiast
In wall speakers will not work as I do not have the space. Thank you

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis