Need advice on integrated amp for small office please

B

bushido

Junior Audioholic
Hello Forum,

With enough knowledge to be dangerous, I am helping a friend restore the small audio system in her office.

After some trial and error (swapping out speakers, receiver and source) we learned that the (Best Buy) Yamaha receiver was faulty, or ill-matched. My old Sony GX900ES beast is now running the system effectively but is much more than the system would require, right?

The system consists of 5 speakers total. (Radio Shack 40-1286C, 15W RMS, 30W Max, 50-18000 hz, 8 ohms)
All speakers are controlled with independent volume controls which I assume means they are running through a transformer. (2 speakers share one control, the rest are dedicated)

The source for this system is a Macbook running Pandora. It is connected using a Y-cable running from the headphone out on the Macbook into the CD-in on the Sony for the time being. I cannot find a Mono switch on the Sony.

The out feed to the speakers consists of one wire (i.e. one red, one black, not a pair) indicating a mono source, correct?

So the question is what would you all recommend as far as an integrated amp? (radio is unnecessary) I am now running the speakers using only the Right speaker feed, and am unsure if that means we are only hearing half of the stereo source??

My thinking is there must be a small amp that would work well in this case and not break the budget. I was also curious if using an HDMI connection would be a preferred method of connection for two reasons: one, wouldn't it be a better transfer of the signal, and two, that headphone output is very delicate and I can envision it being damaged down the line.

I suspect there are wireless options out there too, and would be digging it if you guys could explain and make recommendations if you think that would be a better way to go.

Thanks in advance!
Puff

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I would recommend the Teac NP-H750. I have one in my audio system, and I am listening to Aardvark Blues on internet radio as I type this. Perfect for a small listening room or office with its small size, and it weighs sixteen pounds. I haven't had no issues with mine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis