need advice! LG c2 oled or mini led qned85???

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The C2 is a fine TV. Unless the Bestbuy guys have had both sets in their homes, I don't think they can really say either way regarding the G3. The C2 to C3 isn't a big move and isn't a move I'd make myself. But, somebody may just want DTS and 48Gbps. The G3 is currently the best featured and brightest OLED TV on the market with brightness levels substantially better than any other LG models. But, it is very expensive and many may need a new TV now and be looking for deals on last year's model. This is what I did with my C1 last year. All 77" C1 TVs had the EVO panel and the C2 didn't bring back DTS or 48Gbps bandwidth support so I would not have gained anything I could not live without. If I'd known what the G3 was going to offer this year, I may have waited and saved for it. But, I do not regret buying my C1. I wanted to experiment with next gen game consoles on an OLED TV and also wanted the perfect blacks that cannot be had on an LED set.

For those with no need for 4K @120Hz and certain HDMI 2.1 video features who only use their TVs as monitors with their devices connected directly to their AVRs, I see no reason not to consider the A2 for a considerable savings over the C2. The savings could be applied to the G3 next year when the 4 models come in and the A2 can go into another room or sold to help pay for a G3 if somebody wants the fully featured and considerably brighter model. None of the LG OLED TVs deliver a picture anybody can call less than amazing. Lighting and placement conditions in the home will vary of course.

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
Well, I got her done...
Just hoping for a price drop in the next 60 days so I can get bestbuy to adjust the price...
fingers crossed!!!!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The C2 is a fine TV. Unless the Bestbuy guys have had both sets in their homes, I don't think they can really say either way regarding the G3. The C2 to C3 isn't a big move and isn't a move I'd make myself. But, somebody may just want DTS and 48Gbps. The G3 is currently the best featured and brightest OLED TV on the market with brightness levels substantially better than any other LG models. But, it is very expensive and many may need a new TV now and be looking for deals on last year's model. This is what I did with my C1 last year. All 77" C1 TVs had the EVO panel and the C2 didn't bring back DTS or 48Gbps bandwidth support so I would not have gained anything I could not live without. If I'd known what the G3 was going to offer this year, I may have waited and saved for it. But, I do not regret buying my C1. I wanted to experiment with next gen game consoles on an OLED TV and also wanted the perfect blacks that cannot be had on an LED set.

For those with no need for 4K @120Hz and certain HDMI 2.1 video features who only use their TVs as monitors with their devices connected directly to their AVRs, I see no reason not to consider the A2 for a considerable savings over the C2. The savings could be applied to the G3 next year when the 4 models come in and the A2 can go into another room or sold to help pay for a G3 if somebody wants the fully featured and considerably brighter model. None of the LG OLED TVs deliver a picture anybody can call less than amazing. Lighting and placement conditions in the home will vary of course.
Any reason the B2 would be better than A2? Or pretty similar?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am in a similar bind. So many acronyms these days it makes shopping a lot harder. I've been considering moving my old 52" plasma into the living room which my wife uses for casual TV viewing, and upgrading to a 65" in the recroom. I can't fit a 75" and the selection in the 70" to 72" range is slim at best. There is also a huge price jump moving from 65" to 75". 65" seems to be the sweet spot for some display types. I am not paying extra for 8k either.

The LG C2 goes for around C$2400 in Canada and the price seems to be same at every big box store including Costco. (exchange rate is about $1.34 so around $1790 US) Other options in that price range are the Sony A80K (also C$2400) and Samsung S95B (C$2500). Moving up to the Sony A95K or Samsung S95C commands C$4000. The LG G3 is finally listed on BestBuy and it's also C$4000. Leaning towards the C2 or A80K which both had great picture quality in store. Other option is to gamble on open box items. I found a LG G2 a couple hours from home that is $2700 open box. They won't deliver outside of Toronto, but the G2 has a 5 year warranty on the display panel which makes the trek very tempting.

I can see why LED is so popular at Costco; those sets are $1,000 cheaper or more and the images are pretty decent. I tend to buy long term, though, so I want something better that will last more than 5 years. I don't see the LG A2 up here often but the 65" B2 is only $1900 so $500 less than the C2.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I assume that you’ve already looked at the psychical dimensions of the TVs. One nice thing about OLED TVs compared to plasma, at least the Panasonic I had, is that the frame is so much smaller, so my 55 inch LG OLED is not that much bigger than my old 42 inch Panasonic.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I assume that you’ve already looked at the psychical dimensions of the TVs. One nice thing about OLED TVs compared to plasma, at least the Panasonic I had, is that the frame is so much smaller, so my 55 inch LG OLED is not that much bigger than my old 42 inch Panasonic.
Yes, the 52" Panasonic has a fairly thick frame. I could fit a 75" on the wall, but there is a bulkhead in the corner that restricts how high I can mount it and keep it centered. I have a low ceiling and while the screen would be visible from the center seat, the speakers start to block the screen off angle or when lying down. 70" would be ideal but nothing very good in that size, so I'm down to a 65". That's still a considerable improvement over the 52". ;) I marked the new TV dimensions with painters tape to check.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Start with features, platform and size you must have and see if any TV offers them within your budget. Everybody will have a different list. Costco members will have offers available to them that are not available at other stores to sweeten the pot. A bump to 65” from 52” is significant.
IMG_4019.png

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the 52" Panasonic has a fairly think frame. I could fit a 75" on the wall, but there is a bulkhead in the corner that restricts how high I can mount it and keep it centered. I have a low ceiling and while the screen would be visible from the center seat, the speakers start to block the screen off angle or when lying down. 70" would be ideal but nothing very good in that size, so I'm down to a 65". That's still a considerable improvement over the 52". ;) I marked the new TV dimensions with painters tape to check.
Assuming you wall-mount the TV perhaps you could get a wall-mount that lets you put some distance between the wall and the TV. Perhaps that could help with speakers blocking your view.

My (retractable) wall-mount allows a distance of 17 inches or so, though I only use 6.5 inches, but it can also be angled up/down as well as side-ways.

The OLED TVs are much lighter than a plasma TV, another nice benefit. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm ya B2 in 77in might be an idea for me. My free upgrade last football season was moving my 65in LED to the living room but now my 55in plasma is sitting in the theater room and that won’t work out well. LOL :)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm ya B2 in 77in might be an idea for me. My free upgrade last football season was moving my 65in LED to the living room but now my 55in plasma is sitting in the theater room and that won’t work out well. LOL :)
1681503020168.png

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So which is going to be better deal? Buy an LG of older model when new model comes out or buy current model when Black Friday sales and pre Black Friday sales happen?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hard to say. C2 and G2 prices should drop a bit more in a month or so and would be a great time to get them. They may be gone before Black Friday rolls around and any issues with new models make them less desirable.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hard to say. C2 and G2 prices should drop a bit more in a month or so and would be a great time to get them. They may be gone before Black Friday rolls around and any issues with new models make them less desirable.
Ya hard to say. Memorial Day might be a good time.

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
Just an observation but the weight difference is huge on these huge oleds compared to other tvs...
The tiny thin panel.....

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
Heres a question for those familiar with all these new setting to help eliminate burn-in compared to the minimal settting my c7 had.
Theres a setting called adjust logo brightness,
should that be set on low or high to minimize chance of burn in???
Default setting is low
owners manual says set it to high to help eliminate burn-in
lg customer service states leave it on low
confused!
spoke to 5 different lg tech support ladies & they all said set to low...
multiple utube videos say set to high.....

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
A high setting will be aggressive. Low is recommended by most. Make sure to turn on Image Move. Don't leave logos or still images on screen for extended periods of time. DO NOT use the Vivid Picture mode, ever.

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
this thing has a ton of setting the c7 didnt have....
kind of overwhelming for the non technical as myself....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are recommended settings for SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision sources. You might list your connected devices for some recommended settings.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis