Need Advice for Setting Up a Simple, Cost-Effective Sound System in My Home Gym

TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
Morning folks

I'm reaching out for some guidance on installing a sound system in my home gym. I've attached photos of the space and a basic floor plan for reference. The gym is in a dedicated garage-style building, about 10 meters long and 6 meters wide, with a bathroom (approx 2 metres x 3 metres) in the northeast corner. The ceiling is pretty high (maybe 12-13 feet?)

pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg

Just wondering would anyone be able to recommend components for decent quality setup that's loud enough for the space without going overboard on professional equipment? It's not a critical listening environment like a listening room or a home theatre space; I'm just looking to stream audio from my phone (maybe CDs but that's not a must); also looking to make it affordable since I blew all my money on the room itself :D Also not expecting the acoustics to be perfect

I'm wondering where should I place the speakers for the best sound coverage, given the concrete structure and the fact that there's no fixed focal point like a TV in the home theatre setup. Also appreciate any thoughts on the types of speakers that are good for the money, maybe using portable PA systems or powered speakers with Bluetooth? Also totally open to going the second-hand route, just anything that gets the job done :D

Thanks!

Attachments

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Good day. Couple of questions what is your budget and do you have a favorite speaker brand? Also are you just wanting two speakers or would you also want decent bass from subwoofers?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
A Yamaha A/S301 for about $300 and find some decent 3 way coffin (old school big box) speakers locally for $100.

or head on over to guitar center and check out a JBL EON or similar

I’m guessing you don’t want to go deaf but probably want a little chest thump while

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The challenge with that space will be taming the echo due to all of the reflective surfaces. (You can use the old clap test to see how sound reverberates in the room.) I would keep it simple with an AVR that supports streaming or add a WiiM Pro for streaming. You may want to add a monitor on the wall later. For speakers you can go with a couple of inexpensive floor standers from Monoprice or JBL and avoid the need of a subwoofer if you choose widely, unless you want the deep bass that some electronic music has. If it's just background music you want you could even go with in-ceiling speakers if you have access above but that's a more permanent solution as free standing speakers let you try out different combos.

Last edited:
TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone,

First off, apologies for the long delay in response; thanks for all the advice.

To be honest, my budget for this project is on the low end (probably in the neighbourhood of €100 per speaker), so I'm open to checking out secondhand options also. I'm seeing that a lot of suggestions are more in the bookshelf-style category - I'm considering mounting them high up on the walls, potentially on corner floating shelves?

One of the recommendations was the Yamaha AS301 amplifier. I’m curious about pairing this with active Bluetooth bookshelf speakers. Do you think a setup involving multiple wireless Bluetooth speakers would work well in this scenario? Would the sound quality be decent?

Finally, I’m a bit unclear about the best layout for the speakers. Unlike a typical surround sound setup in a living room, the gym doesn’t have a fixed focal point since I might be facing any direction during workouts. I’ve seen people talk about using "front" speakers in a gym setup, but given the nature of the room, would it be more effective to place one bookshelf speaker in each of the four corners of the gym for more uniform sound coverage?

Thanks again for all the help!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey everyone,

First off, apologies for the long delay in response; thanks for all the advice.

To be honest, my budget for this project is on the low end (probably in the neighbourhood of €100 per speaker), so I'm open to checking out secondhand options also. I'm seeing that a lot of suggestions are more in the bookshelf-style category - I'm considering mounting them high up on the walls, potentially on corner floating shelves?

One of the recommendations was the Yamaha AS301 amplifier. I’m curious about pairing this with active Bluetooth bookshelf speakers. Do you think a setup involving multiple wireless Bluetooth speakers would work well in this scenario? Would the sound quality be decent?

Finally, I’m a bit unclear about the best layout for the speakers. Unlike a typical surround sound setup in a living room, the gym doesn’t have a fixed focal point since I might be facing any direction during workouts. I’ve seen people talk about using "front" speakers in a gym setup, but given the nature of the room, would it be more effective to place one bookshelf speaker in each of the four corners of the gym for more uniform sound coverage?

Thanks again for all the help!
Doesn't look like the 301 has preouts for volume control but does look to have line outs so might work if you want to control volume at the speakers....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis