Need advice...custom 5.1 system

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I tested the HSU HC1's and HB1's, and I am just not a fan of the horns, I know the efficiency is better, but at what cost? At first I didnt know why I didnt like the sound, then it was explained to me, as soon as I described it as too high and tinny... I was told this is because of the tweeters, the speakers just sounded so harsh and I have no doubt after a 2 hour movie I would be exhausted... I was also told this is called being too bright, vs the ascends with their mellow realistic mids and smooth highs that effortlessly blend together... Get the Ascends and dont look back...
I have listened to the Hsu speakers against Infinity Primus speakers in a level-matched A/B comparison and found the treble on the Hsu's to be more laid back than the Primus. The Hsu speakers may be horn-loaded but they are not harsh, and certainly not tinny. Where did you hear the Hsus? They have pretty good dynamic response but they don't have that 'snap' and brightness that Klipsch is known for. The Hsu are not using compression drivers and they sound closer to conventional speakers than Klipsch speakers. Btw, I do enjoy that Klipsch brightness, but I can understand why some people don't.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have listened to the Hsu speakers against Infinity Primus speakers in a level-matched A/B comparison and found the treble on the Hsu's to be more laid back than the Primus. The Hsu speakers may be horn-loaded but they are not harsh, and certainly not tinny. Where did you hear the Hsus? They have pretty good dynamic response but they don't have that 'snap' and brightness that Klipsch is known for. The Hsu are not using compression drivers and they sound closer to conventional speakers than Klipsch speakers. Btw, I do enjoy that Klipsch brightness, but I can understand why some people don't.
I heard them in my living room next to my ctm340se's They had a ringy tinny high end, we played some higher volume bag pipe music and they had this ring to them that the ascends did not... Although I like their cabinet better than the ascends, the sound is night and day...

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Been away a few days dealing with iPhone 5 shenanigans :p

Anywho, for Cobratron, don't let markw get ya down. Although I do appreciate what markw is saying as well. We are all enthusiasts and hobbyists just sharing our mutual fondness for home theater. But yeah, this should all be fun, so let's not stress over it and just enjoy some darn good sound!

:D

Doesn't matter to me whether you placed your order before or after the time I wrote. What happens a lot is that folks hear something in a store or over at a friend's house, it really pricks up their ears and gets them excited about audio. And that's great! So they rush out and buy what got them excited, which is entirely understandable. But then they sort of want confirmation. So they come here. And then we tell them something different. And then...yeah...doesn't always leave people with the best feeling :eek:

But I think what gets lost by a lot of us enthusiasts who've been into for home theater for over a decade is just that initial excitement, and also the understanding that these days, there's an awful lot of "good" products. You kind of have to search (or buy Bose :p ) to get something that's actually downright "bad". And really, most of this stuff sounds far more similar than it does different. We tend to exaggerate small differences and use my pet peeve "night and day" phrase too much :p It's not like songs are totally unrecognizable from system to system!

But where I think a forum like this can really help out - and what I try to do with my recommendations - is in allowing someone who's newer to this hobby to skip right past a lot of the early regrets and lesser value purchases that we only learned about through first hand experience. It's so often said that everyone just has to "make their own mistakes" and "learn for themselves". But I don't really buy into that. I think people are perfectly capable of learning from the experiences of others. Not everyone. But that doesn't ever mean it isn't worth a try ;)

My whole approach is to try and glean the absolute highest value, and also be practical. I love the theoretical stuff, too. But how many people can really design and build their room around their audio system? So it's more about trying to match the products that are out there to each specific situation. But I'll also recommend spending maybe a bit more than the intended budget if a small increase in price means big gains in value. I think that's what most people are after if they're interested to come to a forum and ask questions. That's the sort of advice I like to receive! I think almost all of us like the sort of advice where someone says, "here's the product that will fit within your budget. But this product costs $50 more and performs a lot better. And to get something better than the $50 more expensive product would require that you spend 3 or 4 times its price." To me, that's value. And those are the sorts of products you only learn about through experience. So why not "skip the line" and let other folks find those products for you? Good deal, right? ;)

At the end of it all though, nothing matches just hearing stuff in your own room for yourself. So I like your plan of auditioning the system you ordered for 30 days. What would be even better though is if you could swing the cash to bring in one pair of the Ascend speakers. That way, you could really compare them head-to-head, in your own room, which is really the best audition of all! Sure, you'd have to return one or the other, but that's a relatively small price to pay for the knowledge and certainty that hearing both for yourself would bring. Not to mention how confident you will feel since you were able to compare them head-to-head!

As for the HSU speakers, ImcLoud, I wonder if you heard the MK1 versions of HSU's speakers. What you're describing sounds an awful lot like the 1st version of those speakers. They're on to MK2 now, and they refined the horn-loaded tweeter quite a bit in the 2nd version.

I like the MK2 HSU horn-loaded speakers quite a bit. Very clear and efficient. But in a large room, the problem is still sheer output in the bass and mid-bass. They're certainly efficient for bookshelf-sized speakers. But there's no magic. A single 6.5" woofer can only move so much air ;)

For a large room and this sort of price range, the Ascend CMT-340SE are just dynamite. So I hope you'll get a chance to hear them for yourself somehow. And I REALLY think the Accessories4less deal on the Onkyo TX-NR709 is something you should not pass up. It's really not that much more expensive than the 616 you ordered. It's a markedly better receiver all around. AND it gives you the option to add external amps in the future if you want to. And you might, in that large room and with your taste in music ;) So if nothing else, I hope that's the advice you'll take most of all. That's definitely the sort of case I was talking about. Yes, it's a little more money than the one you ordered to stay within your budget. But it's SO worth it for you. Much higher value than the 616, even though the price is a bit higher.

Hope that makes sense. And I really hope to read your impressions - regardless of which products you order and decide to keep! I think a head-to-head with the Ascend speakers would be fantastic to read about and really help a lot of other people, actually. And that's half the fun of this hobby is sharing. So please come back and visit and talk.

:)

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
I was finally able to test this system out(wife and kids are at inlaws. :))

I attached pics of my house and set up and speaker placement. The last pic is the audyessy set up which I just posted because I have no idea what those numbers mean.

Conclusion: The Supercube 4000 did not meet expectations as FR said. I mean it's a small powerful sub but not house ratting / chest pounding base. So I am returning it. I chatted with a SVS sales rep and he suggested I buy the sb13-ultra! When I first started off my budget was around 2K and now I"m considering a sub that is 2k alone. :) I figured if I'm going to go somewhat all out here I might as well consider the sb13-ultra. Question for you guys with my large room would this be the best choice or should I go with the lesser model from SVS? Also, should I consider the PC13-ULTRA? the cylinder takes up less space. is there a difference in sound? Budget is out the door on the subwoofer. I guess my bottom line is I want "big bass" and this room is just too open and large for the supercube 4000.

I do like the Martin Logans LX16's. I decided to return my definitive rear speakers and swap them for some martin logan rear speakers to match the 5 speakers.

Receiver: Onkyo 616 - I have to turn it up to volume 80 to really light this place up. At 82 it says THX ref does anyone know what that means?
FR - I'm looking into the site you provided on previous post on this thread to upgrade this receiver.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I recently heard the ultra sub, and I have to say it is impressive, but its $2000!!! For that price you can get a HSU ULS-15 dual drive system which I also heard {not a b comparison, and not in the same room} but the dual drive was just INSANE, if I was going to spend $2000 on a sub it would be the dual drive.. The VTF15 dual drive is under $2000 and that like 2800 watts of bass, lol..

Now, I know how easy it is to get roped in to spending huge money, but I spent $615 on my vtf2, and it shakes my 4000 sq ft house effortlessly , it is honestly too much, and can easily drown my 1000 watt 5 channel system...

IMO, send back the 616, and get an avr with preouts {probably find one for less than the 616 cost}, then get an XPA3 amp {bstock $599} for your front stage, and either a vtf2 or 3, or is you like svs a pb12... That would be $1300 well spent..

Last edited:
C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
thx ImcLoud...I'll research teh hsu vtf-2mk. I do like the fact that it's wireless!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The VTF2 isn't wireless, the only Hsu sub which is wireless is the ULS-15. The Hsu VTF15h is not a 2800 watt bass system, they have 350 watt continuous amplifiers so it is more like a 700 watt system. Their 1400 watt spec is basically BS. However, subs shouldn't be judged on their amplifier power, they should be judged on their measured performance, so a 350 watt sub can easily outperform a 1000 watt sub depending on the design of the sub. In measured performance, the Hsu sub does very well.

Like IMcloud said, you really ought to get a separate amplifier if you intend to keep your speakers. You are running your current receiver very hard by trying to have it power some Martin Logans, and driving just 2 db away from reference is bad news, I don't even want to think about how hot that lower end Onkyo is getting trying to push that. That receiver is not meant to drive those speakers, and it won't last long under those conditions. It's not just the receiver, its the speakers, those speakers need a lot of power.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The VTF2 isn't wireless, the only Hsu sub which is wireless is the ULS-15. The Hsu VTF15h is not a 2800 watt bass system, they have 350 watt continuous amplifiers so it is more like a 700 watt system. Their 1400 watt spec is basically BS. However, subs shouldn't be judged on their amplifier power, they should be judged on their measured performance, so a 350 watt sub can easily outperform a 1000 watt sub depending on the design of the sub. In measured performance, the Hsu sub does very well.

Like IMcloud said, you really ought to get a separate amplifier if you intend to keep your speakers. You are running your current receiver very hard by trying to have it power some Martin Logans, and driving just 2 db away from reference is bad news, I don't even want to think about how hot that lower end Onkyo is getting trying to push that. That receiver is not meant to drive those speakers, and it won't last long under those conditions. It's not just the receiver, its the speakers, those speakers need a lot of power.
I was going to type in Peak but I didnt think I had to, lol... Them dual drives sound like 5000 watts of bass.... I heard them playing the scene from harry potter when they are chasing some rat around, and it sounded like the tv was going to swallow us up... And that was a good sized room..

When I was talking to the guys at HSU, I believe they can make any of the subs wireless, if I remember correctly...

But $2000 subs should be far from your thoughts, definetly time for a better AVR and separate amp for your front stage, everyone is going to agree on that...

If you were closer you could come and listen to my vtf 2, I have the setting down -5, and the knob on the sub half way and it is still strong...

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Man! Look at all that bare room and wood. Room treatments.

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Man! Look at all that bare room and wood. Room treatments.
haha in due time we will spruce the place up but with a 2 month old and a 16 month old it's been impossible.

Any suggestions on a amplifier for me and where I should buy one? Is that something that is difficult to connect to the receiver?

Again thanks so much everyone for the input. Without this advice I would of blew my Onkyo receiver and speakers soon!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would go to Emotiva for the amp, call them and ask if there is an XPA3 in B stock {Im pretty sure there was last week when I talked to Steve}. Should be $599 shipped in bstock...
Easy to hook up, just run 3 rca cables from your preamp LF, RF, and C out to the amps inputs.. then hook your front 3 speakers to its amplified channel on the amp... Simple

Go to accessories 4 less for an avr with preouts... use the avrs internal amp just to run your surrounds...
here are a few inexpensive avr's with preouts... I would go with the first one or second, their the cheapest...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR4003/Marantz-Sr4003-Dolby-Digital-Ex/dts-Es-Surround-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5002/Marantz-Sr5002-Receiver-90w-X-7ch-Hdmi-Home-Theater-Surround/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR7001/Marantz-SR7001-Receiver-Thx-110w-X-7ch-Hdmi/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR709/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

so $599 for the amp + $250 for the avr with preouts + $550 for a vtf2 sub= $1400 thats less than the svs sub alone and you will be very happy with the results, night and day... And your avr wont break a sweat running the surrounds, plus the system will be much better for music since you have all the room in the front... Thats a REAL 200w per channel, vs your avr maybe has 150 to spread around all 5...

Last edited:
C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
I would go to Emotiva for the amp, call them and ask if there is an XPA3 in B stock {Im pretty sure there was last week when I talked to Steve}. Should be $599 shipped in bstock...
Easy to hook up, just run 3 rca cables from your preamp LF, RF, and C out to the amps inputs.. then hook your front 3 speakers to its amplified channel on the amp... Simple

Go to accessories 4 less for an avr with preouts... use the avrs internal amp just to run your surrounds...
here are a few inexpensive avr's with preouts... I would go with the first one or second, their the cheapest...
Marantz Sr4003 Dolby Digital Ex/dts Es Surround Receiver | Accessories4less
Marantz Sr5002 Receiver 90w X 7ch Hdmi Home Theater Surround | Accessories4less
Marantz SR7001 Receiver Thx 110w X 7ch Hdmi | Accessories4less
Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

so $599 for the amp + $250 for the avr with preouts + $550 for a vtf2 sub= $1400 thats less than the svs sub alone and you will be very happy with the results, night and day... And your avr wont break a sweat running the surrounds, plus the system will be much better for music since you have all the room in the front... Thats a REAL 200w per channel, vs your avr maybe has 150 to spread around all 5...

Would it be possible to get a less expensive amp for my set up? Dumb question of the subwoofers I'm considering this external amp has nothing to do with it, correct? assuming so since I plug the subwoofer into the outlet directly.

How about this external amp? Onkyo Accessory Amplifier - M282B

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Would it be possible to get a less expensive amp for my set up? Dumb question of the subwoofers I'm considering this external amp has nothing to do with it, correct? assuming so since I plug the subwoofer into the outlet directly.

How about this external amp? Onkyo Accessory Amplifier - M282B
Sure less expensive amps are available but none that have 600 watts... Emotiva sells a upa500 {hardley ever in bstock so full price is $400} but its only 80w per channel...

The amp is going to have nothing to do with your sub, that has a built in amp, it will plug in the same way the cube did...

If the budget doesnt support all 3 purchases, I would get the sub and avr first, then save for the amp {may not get bstock and save 100 but they will always have new stock...}.. Running your present avr, past its limits {or even near them} is going to hurt your speakers and avr..:( no maybes about that...

That is why I usually try to stay with "easy to power" speakers, some of these speakers need a ton of power to make them scream... I have a 40w amp powering my Lores and you can not turn it all the way up with out bleeding ears {obviously I'm exaggerating a little, buts its loud with just a few watts per ch..}

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hi! Welcome back :)

First up, I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your Martin Logan speakers. As we talked about before, they're nice speakers overall, but it does seem clear that you're having to turn the volume dial up pretty high in your room size and setup. That was anticipated. And it's a combination of the 616 receiver that isn't really up to the task of driving them on its own, plus the Martin Logan speakers themselves, which aren't really meant for a large room setting.

I'm hoping that you're starting to agree that we weren't just talking out of our rear ends with our advice :eek: There's no magic in audio, and a lot of us have gone through exactly what you're going through now. It's all about matching the right products to your given circumstances and tastes.

I've said it over and over on this forum, but never skimp on the subwoofer! There's just no magic or tricks to it. You have a certain room size, you have certain desires and tastes in movies and music - that will tell you all you need to know in terms of what subwoofer(s) you really need.

I'm guessing the SVSound SB13-Ultra recommendation was based on trying to keep the price as low as possible (the SB13-Ultra is the least expensive "Ultra" model) and also trying to keep the size rather compact. As you said, the cylinder subs actually have the same small footprint and don't take up a lot of floor space. They're just much taller is all ;)

I would say that the PC12-Plus is very likely sufficient in your room, just in terms of sheer output. And going with that cylinder model would get the price point even lower.

That said, if "chest thumping", "house shaking" bass is what you're after, nothing really beats the Rythmik FV15HP ! That sub is a MONSTER in terms of sheer output - even besting the SVS Ultra subs everywhere above 25Hz! And just so it's clear, all the tactile "chest thumping" bass is in the 40Hz-ish range. The super low 20Hz stuff is the "blur your vision" and "give you the tingles" bass ;)

The FV15HP puts you back into the same price range as the SVS Ultra subs (once you factor in shipping). It's also a VERY large subwoofer. So if floor space is a consideration, the PC12-Plus, PC13-Ultra or SB13-Ultra would all make better choices from a floorspace perspective.

These are all FANTASTIC subwoofers though. The only question is if you are willing to spend that much! I have to say that the PC12-Plus cylinder is the bargain of the bunch though. At $1200 shipped right now, it's the least expensive of the group, but right up there in terms of sheer output, while keeping the small footprint that the cylinder form factor affords.

I have to give a word of caution about the less expensive Marantz receivers that were listed from Accessories4Less. A couple of them are older models that do not support the new TrueHD and DTS-HD audio formats - although you can easily just have your Blu-ray player perform the audio decoding. That will make the Blu-ray player send out multi-channel PCM audio, which those Marantz receivers CAN handle via HDMI. The other thing is 3D support, which none of them have. And there's also Audyssey to consider.

So I come back to my strong recommendation for the Onkyo TX-NR709 . What makes it SO worth the $450 price is the feature set it offers. 8 HDMI inputs - all of them ready for 3D and HD Audio. And Audyssey MultEQ XT is a big one. MUCH better room correction than the lesser "levels" of Audyssey or other brands of room correction, IMO.

The 709 on its own might still struggle a bit with those particular Martin Logan speakers in your room. It'll do better than the 616 on its own though, which should give you enough time to save up to add some external amplification for your front 3 speakers.

I'm not exactly sure what other words I can use to try and convince you of the value of the products I've been recommending. You've got the first hand experience now to go along with what I was trying to convey earlier. Skimping on the subwoofer didn't work out. The 616 has to have its volume dial cranked in order to get good output levels from those speakers in your room.

I'm not about pushing people to spend more money. I'm about trying to get people to spend their money in the best way possible. Sometimes that does mean paying a bit more. But never just for the sake of spending! Match the best products out there to your needs and your tastes. There's no magic way to get more performance from less.

I agree that the SB13-Ultra subwoofer likely isn't totally necessary. The folks at SVSound are very conservative and honest though. They don't go claiming that their subs can play louder than they truly can. So they base their recommendations on the true output limits of their subs, compare that to your room size and your tastes, and recommend the subwoofer in their lineup that they are sure can deliver what you're looking for! But most people overestimate how loud they really want their bass. Most folks don't listen at full THX Reference or Live Concert listening levels. And most people never ever notice the slight bit of distortion that creeps in when slightly lower output subs are pushed right to their limits.

Personally, I DON'T think the VTF-2 MK4 - as good as it is - is quite up to the task of handling your room size. Just personally, I'd be much more comfortable with the VTF-3 MK4. Or you could go back to one of my earliest recommendations, which was the SVSound PB12-NSD if you still have a desire to keep the price tag well under $1000.

If you're ok with going over $1000 just for the subwoofer though, then BY ALL MEANS, take SVSound's advice! The PC12-Plus, SB13-Ultra and Rythmik FV15HP are all within the same relative price range. Those are the subs to consider if you really want to bring the house down ;)

The Onkyo TX-NR709 should simply be a lock at this point. You cannot get more in an AV Receiver for less.

I still very much want to encourage you to audition just a pair of the Ascend CMT-340SE speakers. I know you're happy with your Martin Logans. And I don't have any big problem with them or anything. But I really think that if you heard the Ascend CMT-340SE for yourself, and compared them head-to-head, there'd be no doubt left in your mind. The Ascends would stay, the Martin Logans would go back.

With the Ascend speakers, the Onkyo 709 could probably do just fine all on its own, actually. I'd NEVER say no to a great external amp in the future, but I'm quite confident you'd be just fine with the 709 driving the CMT-340SE speakers for the time being.

I hope you'll take all this into consideration :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
FR helped me a lot with my HT system , he def. knows what hes talking about...
BUT, my room is about the same size as yours, open to the kitchen and 2 hallways, and the vtf2 has never been turned over half way! It is just about double what I need. I was watching first class yesterday and my wife wasnt home {just me and the kids} and we had the sub a couple db hot and the volume for the entire system at 55 and the school fighting scene sounded like the end of the world. I turned it up to 60 and it was way too much...
But there is no way to know until you try them out...
The good thing about subs seems to be {from my perception} is if the $550 vtf2 isnt enough, you can add another one, and you really arent losing anything vs 1 $1100 sub...

I cant say it enough, the vtf2 makes A LOT of sound, I had it in my front parlor which is around 400sq ft with 24ft ceilings, and it was enough bass to shake the chandelier...

I know a lot of guys on here like SVS, and they are a sponsor, and there stuff is nice, but I have heard a few and I have heard a few HSU's and for the money I think the HSU is the better buy... For around $2K you get that dual drive setup and you will need to reinforce your foundation... I never heard bass so low, and I had 4 -15" SPL160's with 2 Orion 2250's {running at 1 ohm} in my buick Riviera when I was a kid...

As far as the AVRs go I would take FR's advice, I am not crazy about spending a ton of money on AVR's because they change so frequently, and they break a lot. Plus I only use the processor for a volume control and balance/cross which I do with an spl meter and pink noise disc... I had a few {denon, yamaha and Onkyo} and since I heard separate amp systems there is NO going back. So if I was in the market for an AVR my biggest request would be a remote control and preouts, but that is where someone like FR is very useful, I can only give you advise from my experiences and what I like and would want, where he has been doing this a long time and can advise you on whats best from multiple standpoints...
IMO if you can find an avr with preouts a decent brand name that stands behind them for at least a year that costs under $250 thats the one... Because in a year the $450 AVR is going to be available for $250... Now I know not all AVRs break down, just in my experience, when you are using their int. amps for a long time everytime you turn your tv on they dont last long... The longest I had one last was a $2200 Yamaha {bought before tweeter went out of business}, it lasted 4 years and was out of date a year after I purchased it so I didnt bother fixing it, sold it broken on ebay for $90...

Since you dont have the largest budget, I would go for getting the most for your money, set a budget, post it on here and let the guys give you some options...
IMO, if you can get around $1500
AVR with preouts- $250
Bstock XPA3- $600
VTF2- $550
I think that will get you your best bang for buck... I don't care what AVR you buy, if you are getting that onkyo up to almost max now, you are going to run any on the market very thin... By all means if you can squeeze out another $200 get the 709, thats a nice avr with all the toys, but I wouldnt go any less on the amp or sub to make room for that {I hope that makes sense}...

Last edited:
C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
Thanks FR and ImCloud.

haha FR thx for throwing another sub into the mix! :) I'm getting stressed about what to choose, but in a good way. Well, due to my time constraints and I must of taken a good hour of online chatting with various reps from SVS, I decided to go with one of their subwoofers.

Ultimately, I need help choosing the SVS sub. Should I go with the PC13-ULTRA cylinder or the PB13-ULTRA. If you look at my pics I plan on placing either of these subs behind my leather couch where you see the far rear speaker. There is a nice little gap in that area perfect for a sub. The larger one pb13-ultra will fit perfectly there as well as the pc13. SVS said the power is the same from both models, but what do you guys think would fit in my open family room? I mean the cylinder is much cheaper which I'm not sure why. (25x17, cathedral ceilings, and it opens to the kitchen). Just a really open area.

Receiver: returning the Onkyo 616 and going for the 709 model.

Speakers: Keeping Martin Logans for now I still have a week to play with them and to try the Ascend's

Just wanted to say thank you all again. if it weren't for you guys/gals I wouldn't be aware of why things sound off and without the guidance I would of kept the current system. I"m finally seeing the huge flaws.

Unfortunately, you can't trust every sales reps/tech support says from certain companies As their bottom line is for you to keep the product they just sold you and keep moving on. That's what I've gathered from the guys from ABT Electronics. I mean their products are not bad but you guys know how to make it that much better and I mean THAT MUCH better! Glad I signed up over here.

Have a great weekend everyone!

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hi Cobratron!

That's killer! I really hate the "night and day difference" line, but in the case of going from that Def Tech sub to an SVS Ultra sub? Haha. That line is actually appropriate. Of course, the price kind of reflects that, too ;)

It really just comes down to aesthetics and floor space if you're choosing between the PB13-Ultra box version and the PC13-Ultra cylinder version. As you said, the PC13-Ultra costs a few hundred less, and when it is standing upright, it takes up significantly less floor space. But it is a tall, black velour-wrapped cylinder, rather than a beautifully finished, very large box. Which one looks better to you? That's pretty much what it comes down to since the performance is virtually identical.

The PB13-Ultra's higher price tag is simply due to the materials cost of the box, the higher cost of the real wood or piano black gloss finish, but mostly, it's the additional shipping cost! Don't forget that SVS includes the shipping cost in their stated price tag. They call it "free shipping, but that just means they included the cost of shipping in the price tag ;) The PB13-Ultra box version weighs 65 lbs. more than the PC13-Ultra cylinder! So a good portion of the higher price tag is to simply account for the extra shipping cost.

One thing about the PC13-Ultra cylinder is that you can also lay it down on its side. If you want to tuck it behind your couch, or place it along the bottom edge of a wall, this can really come in handy, and make it easier to "hide" the tall cylinder than the big, beefy PB13-Ultra box.

But yeah, it's pretty much all down to form factor and looks, so that's totally up to you as to what you think looks better. I happen to think the cylinders are a more versatile form factor and easier to place because of it. They can fit in a small footprint, or lay down on their side to "hide" along the ground. And the black velour finish just disappears into the corner when the lights are out. But during the day, it might stick out like a sore thumb :p

The PB13-Ultra box is huge. Do not underestimate its size! And at 155lbs. vs. the PC13-Ultra cylinder's 90lbs., it's often a two-man job to move it around. The cylinder you can move pretty easily by yourself ;)

I'm REALLY happy to hear you're going with the Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver! That's really going to help you out, and give you every feature you might need now or in the future. That's a big piece of the puzzle, in my view, and I'm really happy you've decided to go with it. I'm certain you'll be pleased :D

And yeah, if you can audition the Ascend CMT-340SE speakers, and compare them to your Martin Logans, that will be stellar! Nothing beats hearing and comparing for yourself. Best thing about the CMT-340SE speakers is that it doesn't take long after hearing them to understand exactly what we've been talking about this whole time. Right away, you'll know what all the fuss is about. And they only get better the longer you listen. So I'm eager for you to hear them. Again, not that the Martin Logans are "bad" in any way or that I have any sort of "problem" with them. It's not like that. But I just think the CMT-340SE are a better match for your room, and the 709 receiver will be able to drive them more easily on its own as well. Again, not that a separate external amp is EVER a bad idea. I'd still want to get one for the CMT-340SE in that room size, personally ;) But the 709 will power the CMT-340SE quite nicely, so you won't be left wanting while you save up for an external amp!

Really excited for you! These are some big upgrades, but they're the sort that can genuinely last many, many years, if not a lifetime! You'll be comparing your system to other people's, and you're gonna know your sound quality is either better, or what some other person paid in order to get slightly better sound than yours cost them MANY multiples of the price you paid! And when it comes to that SVS Ultra subwoofer? That's second to none. You'll hear other people's subs and just quietly think to yourself, "well that's cute. Nice of that other subwoofer to give it a try." :p

Enjoy!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The pioneer sc1222 is on sale at new egg, thats a really nice AVR and its $500 off!!! I believe it is 4ohm stable too and has 600watts {all channels driven}, and for them martins you are going to need the better amp section...

Good luck with the sub, I personally wouldnt spend $2000 on 1 sub, but I have heard the ultra and its a beast, dont rule out the dual drives from HSU for less money and more sound, plus keep in mind when you get upgradeitus again its easier to sell 2 $900 subs vs 1 $1800 sub...

Another option would be $2000 budget you were going to spend on an ultra-
HSU-VTF15H {a lot of bass, believe me, audition this thing dont look at amp rms, this thing will destroy your house, talking spin the pictures on the wall so the wire wraps around the hanger or they are coming down} $900
SC1222 avr {watch the video of this thing its sick} $599 after $500 off with free shipping this weekend only!!!
Emotiva UPA200 just to drive your martins $350 at least its 4 ohm stable... and will give you 250 watts and now let your avr's 200+ watts power your center and surrounds...

I think you are going to quickly learn you need an separate amp, I did... Now I have 4-5 of them lol...

What Im worried about is you having a ton of bass but none of your other equipment is strong enough to keep up with it, especially since you obviously like it loud {getting your current avr almost to ref. level}

Last edited:
C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
The pioneer sc1222 is on sale at new egg, thats a really nice AVR and its $500 off!!! I believe it is 4ohm stable too and has 600watts {all channels driven}, and for them martins you are going to need the better amp section...

Good luck with the sub, I personally wouldnt spend $2000 on 1 sub, but I have heard the ultra and its a beast, dont rule out the dual drives from HSU for less money and more sound, plus keep in mind when you get upgradeitus again its easier to sell 2 $900 subs vs 1 $1800 sub...

Another option would be $2000 budget you were going to spend on an ultra-
HSU-VTF15H {a lot of bass, believe me, audition this thing dont look at amp rms, this thing will destroy your house, talking spin the pictures on the wall so the wire wraps around the hanger or they are coming down} $900
SC1222 avr {watch the video of this thing its sick} $599 after $500 off with free shipping this weekend only!!!
Emotiva UPA200 just to drive your martins $350 at least its 4 ohm stable... and will give you 250 watts and now let your avr's 200+ watts power your center and surrounds...

I think you are going to quickly learn you need an separate amp, I did... Now I have 4-5 of them lol...

What Im worried about is you having a ton of bass but none of your other equipment is strong enough to keep up with it, especially since you obviously like it loud {getting your current avr almost to ref. level}

Ahhhh! crap I missed the newegg deal! SC1222 now it's back to 1099. well appreciate you sending me this information.

Tomorrow I'm returning my Supercube 4000 and the Onkyo 616. I have yet to purchase the Onkyo 709 receiver so still in consideration for other products. I heard great things about Pioneer.

I did pull the trigger on the Pc13 Ultra last night. I guess I'll upgrade the receiver / amp to build around the ultra sub. Man can't wait till that beast arrives here. I may smile if it cracks some drywall.

Again thanks ImCloud and FR for the guidance!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis