2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
A question not directly related to my sub, should be here tomorrow tho, but when listening to music with my current speakers, the Audio Engine, or any other computer speaker for that matter, I always hear a static at low volumes when some midbass beats are going. Is this something to do with the quality/output from my laptop?

J

jamie2112

Banned
It sounds like mp3 mixed with sub par speakers is causing the distortion. Does
this happen when listening to music at normal volumes?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It could be the laptop or it could be the audio tracks themselves. If it does it on ALL music, then it probably isn't the tracks. How do you have the laptop connected and to what? If you are using the headphone out, that could be the culprit.

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I am using the headphone out...perhaps I should invest in a external sound card?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on the laptop, but I have had cases where the headphone out doesn't have enough voltage to properly feed an amp vs headphones, though others have said it has worked for them - it obviously depends entirely on the hardware in question on both sides. Does the laptop have any other audio output? If not, then yes you would probably get better results from some kind of sound card.

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
Based on previous experince with laptop headphone outs, it is almost certainly the laptop. Ignore the inferior speaker crowd.

The problem with lots of laptop headphone outs is that despite the very low cost of properly constructed electronics they've gone for the very very low cost of badly grounded electronics.

You may be able to mitigate the static by wiggling the jack in the socket, or pulling it out very slightly (not enough to disconnect the jacket, but just enough to make sure the end of the plug doesn't touch the bottom of the socket.

But given the very high SNR and non linearity of laptop audioouts I'd recommend a USB soundcard.

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't really think the speakers are inferior, as the review from Audioholics was my selling point. Anyhow, I'll look into a USB sound card next weekend and see how it goes.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't really think the speakers are inferior, as the review from Audioholics was my selling point. Anyhow, I'll look into a USB sound card next weekend and see how it goes.
does you laptop's soud card give you the ability to change the headphone out to line level out?

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
I had a quick check this morning with sound card options, and I could not find anything relating to line level output. Any recommendations on External sound cards? I'm almost regretting not spending abit more and going with a receiver etc...

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
Sad news

Well this is disappointing...Got home from a business trip all excited to setup my new sub, it arrived and everything. I noticed the back of the box was crunched in, so not thinking much of it, I take it inside, pull it out in my room and have a look at it. The thing is a beast! Anyhow, the sub is damaged, the sub must have been dropped onto the corner of an object as the damage went all the way to the sub, and the amp has a rather large dent in it. I will be contacting UPS and the place I ordered it from first thing in the morning to get it sorted out, very frustrating tho :( (Will have pictures up shortly)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry to hear of the damage. I had shipping damage with my subwoofer also. It sucks, and is a huge disappointment. But I'm sure SVS will turn this negative situation into a positive one.

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
These shots aren't the greatest but they show the gist of the damage...Should I not plug this thing in do to the location of the dent? I'm not familiar with amp construction, so don't want to mess things up further and void the insurance or anything.
I purchased the sub from the only distributor in Canada, so will contact them too...Posting because I'm frustrated :(

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Most likely done from a Fork-Lift blade. :( If there is no damage to the enclosure, or driver. It looks like all you need is a new amp, and you'll be fine.

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
Yup, contacted UPS and the shipper, seems like everything should be ok, the sub still works, which is good! Now a question now that I have it setup, since I'm using powered speakers, and have no way to adjust the Sub X-over, the sub seems to be playing higher frequencies as well, I'm wondering if there is anyway to fix this? If not, I think I'm just taking these speakers back and going with a receiver...

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help picking out the sub! Very happy with the quality of the PB10, sucks that theres no frequency controls on the 10, but oh well. Going to be looking into some Paradigm towers or bookshelves next, so I have abit more control with a receiver!
Thanks again!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, contacted UPS and the shipper, seems like everything should be ok, the sub still works, which is good! Now a question now that I have it setup, since I'm using powered speakers, and have no way to adjust the Sub X-over, the sub seems to be playing higher frequencies as well, I'm wondering if there is anyway to fix this? If not, I think I'm just taking these speakers back and going with a receiver...
you need to use the PB10 with a receiver or pre-pro with an LFE output (where the signals being sent to the sub is low-passed by a crossover)

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
It would appear the "sub" output on your powered speakers isn't filtered at all and is sending a full-range signal to the PB10.

If you decide to invest in a nice laptop sound card you should be able to get one with a subwoofer output and then you can use the sound card crossover setting to control what frequencies go to the PB10.

Or you could use an FMOD, Harrison Labs sells different low-pass filters that you just attach in-line with the sub RCA connection or a PFMOD that can be changed with jumpers for a variety of crossover values.

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?section=9

2channelstereo

Audioholic Intern
It would appear the "sub" output on your powered speakers isn't filtered at all and is sending a full-range signal to the PB10.

If you decide to invest in a nice laptop sound card you should be able to get one with a subwoofer output and then you can use the sound card crossover setting to control what frequencies go to the PB10.

Or you could use an FMOD, Harrison Labs sells different low-pass filters that you just attach in-line with the sub RCA connection or a PFMOD that can be changed with jumpers for a variety of crossover values.

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?section=9
Do you know of any laptop sound cards that do have a sub output? If so, please let me know as this would be my prefered method!

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Creative has PCMCIA and ExpressCard based laptop sound cards that support up to 7.1 speakers. Also you can find some USB connected sound cards that offer the same thing.

Normally they will use a 3.5mm headphone style jack for the center/subwoofer, so you would need to use a stereo cable and connect the proper side for the subwoofer signal (not the center channel signal).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis