need a"3d" pre/pro for under 5K? Suggestions welcome

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
He spent about 3 hours the first night with a small microphone on the Anthem. He spent about 1.5 hours on the integra with a laptop. calibrating them both. I cant complain one bit about him doing his absolute best to calibrate my room to the best of his abilities. both evenings he arrived at 7pm and left about 2am. I cant do anything but appaud him for his best effort. I just couldnt really hear a difference in the two.
:eek: nuf sed.

The marantz salesman brought up a good point as well. Why would I even consider the Anthem 700 if I was going to use it as a processor? I said I didnt know.. He said, save yourself a ton of cash if you favor the Anthem and buy the 300. If your simply using it as a processor with no plans of moving it into the den or another area at a later date, buy the cheaper version.. Your amp is doing the lifting anyway and other than that there is absolutely zero difference between the 300, 500, and 700.
From the scant amount of info on the Arnhem site, their pre-amps do appear to be very similar or identical with different firmwares.

Y

yitb1007

Audiophyte
Good morning Gentlemen. I just wanted to let you guys know that I ordered the Integra 80.3 yesterday to replace my B&K reference 70. In true fashion, they ran the card called in the order and then informed me that it was back ordered Nationwide. Expect Delivery between mid Feb and March 1. Since the pre was backordered though he did give me a discount. He took 10% off. So Im happy despite having to wait. Ultimately, the decision came down to salesmanship and extras since there was no obvious difference in sound. The Marantz certainly finished a close second based on overall value, but I felt that with my limited product knowledge the overwhelming response from the group supported the "Integra", with the added bonus of a salesperson who would likely work for free to share his knowledge it was hard to pass up. He is a true, exciting audiophile, that I genuinely believe would pass on a big salary to continue doing what he loves. I dont see that often anymore, hell I wish I could pursue my own passion and get paid for it (even though there really has never been a market for a middle aged man whore lol). SO yes, his willingness to share his knowledge and my belief that he would be downright excited if I actually called him with a problem played the largest role in my decision. Some may find an appreciation for that, some may say sucker! Either way, best price cant always be best deal In my humble opinion. The price difference between the Anthem and the Integra was small (600) and the Anthem wasnt a pre-amp. It was a receiver. The Marantz was well priced and finished second, it covered all of my current needs and was the most physically attractive of the bunch in my opinion. But the salesman acted as if I were bothering him will in his own store. He answered the questions I ask of him, and offered little else. The experience left me with very little confidence about him handling a problem. I could have missjudged the guy, but in an empty store during a houston texans playoff weekend I should have been viewed as a potential sale. He never told me why I should purchase his product, only that I shouldnt purchase the Anthem in that particular model. Either way, im getting long winded here. Thank All of you for offering your opinions. I placed a similar ad on another site and got one response. I thank you all for your time, and thank you all for leading me to Integra. A brand I had heard nothing about until you guys brought it to my attention. So your voices were heard, and your advice was taken. Thanks a million. If anyone is in the Houston area, your welcome to come by and listen anytime (after the Integra comes in) if your considering any of the equipment I own. Once again, thanks a million.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Take the 10% savings and give your sale person a nice tip. I think the guy more than earned it. He certainly isn't going to make the time back on the commission:D

Last edited:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Good morning Gentlemen. I just wanted to let you guys know that I ordered the Integra 80.3 yesterday to replace my B&K reference 70.
Congratulations.

While I appreciate the stressful time you had, I wonder if you can cancel your order. The Integra DTR 70.3 is almost identical to the 80.3, but several hundred dollars cheaper.

Wish I would have seen the thread sooner

jinjuku

jinjuku

Congratulations.

While I appreciate the stressful time you had, I wonder if you can cancel your order. The Integra DTR 70.3 is almost identical to the 80.3, but several hundred dollars cheaper.

Wish I would have seen the thread sooner
My take is the OP REALLY WANTED a Pre/Pro... AVR's have been suggested.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
My take is the OP REALLY WANTED a Pre/Pro... AVR's have been suggested.
I remember from the OP's first post. He didn't specify DHC or DTR in his last post.
I should not have said anything so late.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If that is the guy who spent hours doing the demo/hook up for you, yes he earned your business for sure. The 80.3 has ridiculous specs and feature set. The thing is not a prepro, it is a high end electronic toy (Too bad I can't get one).:D and most likely will make your system sound great. The Marantz may look good but it does not come close in the features/specs departments.
Congratulations!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
But the salesman acted as if I were bothering him will in his own store. He answered the questions I ask of him, and offered little else. The experience left me with very little confidence about him handling a problem. I could have missjudged the guy, but in an empty store during a houston texans playoff weekend I should have been viewed as a potential sale.
Maybe your being in the store interrupted his back room TV game :D.

Congrats on the purchase and keep us posted with pictures when it arrives.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Cary Cinema 12

I currently am running Sonus Faber Cremona's on the Marantz AV7005. The sound is good, but I wouldn't say it is great. I had an Onkyo SC886 Pre/Pro before the Marantz and the analog section and Dac's in general just sounded that much better on the Marantz, so I'm not sure how much better they are on the Integra. The Integra and Marantz just have more bells and whistles, but if you are looking for a great all in one unit and can by pass video upscaling, the Cary Cinema 12 may be worth a look. Yes it's close to 5k, but I've heard it on a pair of System Audio speakers that only retailed for $2,500 and OMG did it sound awesome. It was in my local dealers untreated family room and the stereo image was literally three dimensional and holographic. I just ordered the Cary for my home with a 30 day no risk in trial to see how it will match with my gear. If it sounds anything like the system my dealer is running, I am going to be in heaven. Cary has a reputation for producing very high end, excellent sounding gear so if you are interested in the best sounding all in one, it may be worth a look.

Many people say the Cary Cinema 11a, which only had 2 HDMI inputs sounded better than the Anthem D2v, even with ARC. I truthfully turn off my Audyssey EQ when playing music. It actually limits the depth of sound stage and richness of 2 channel playback. For HT, it's great though...

If you decide you don't want to wait for the Integra, you may want to check out the Cary. I'll post back how it sounds in comparison to the Marantz after this weekend...

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Good job to the op. I think he deserves some applause for taking the high road. I hope you enjoy your unit, bity1007.
Funny that he ended his thread and people keep piping in to cancel the order and change to something else. Geezo, it's hard enough to pull the trigger...............

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Only reason I chimed in was because he has a dead unit and is going to have to wait at least 1-2 months for a new unit. While they say "silence is golden," I don't know that applies to us Audiophiles. 1-2 months with no processor could be torturous, at least for me.

Y

yitb1007

Audiophyte
Just wanted to let you guys know the integra was installed last friday. everyone is enjoying it. If your ever here in Houston, stop by. Your welcome to a demo anytime. Maybe its the speakers, maybe its the amp,but its likely my EAR. you all know im not an expert but it sounds just as good as my B&K ref 70 did to me. Im as happy as a bastard on fathers day. Thank you all again for your input and advice. I had a real problem pulling the trigger on this one but Im glad I did. I know this sounds silly, but I refuse to buy a lexus. Its just a fancy toyota. Part of the reason I had a hard time pulling the trigger on the Integra was for the same reason. BUT NOW im glad I did.. I thank you all for your time and opinions. I listened to every last one of em except the guy that told me to cancel.. couldnt do it.. Just couldnt force myself to start over again LOL.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis