need 7.1 receiver with 2 subwoofer outlets

W

walter

Audiophyte
im setting up a surround sound system, my cealing is 20 ft high,im looking to use two subwoofers. is there a receiver thet supports them? any advice is welcome

T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
Even if you don't find a 7.1 receiver providing two subwoofer outputs, a Y-adapter cable would function just the same.

S

SDDave

Audiophyte
Both the Yamaha RX-Z9 and the Denon AVR-5805 have two subwoofer outputs. I have the Yamaha with two subwoofers connected.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
My old Sony STRDE925 had two. My Denon 3805 only has one. All you need is a signal, and a "Y" adaptor would do the trick.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I run 2 SVS 20-39CS+ subs with a Y-adapter. It works great. I don't see that you would gain anything by having a separate RCA jack, unless it would be for stereo subs, however, many units with more than one output just have multiple mono sub RCAs.

S

SDDave

Audiophyte
The Denon 3805 does support multiple subwoofers read pages 99 and 100 of the users manual. The reason to use two subwoofers is when your fronts and rears that do not respond to frequencies down to 20Hz. In this case you can set the receiver to send the frequencies below 80Hz that are meant for the left front or rear to the left subwoofer in addition to the LFE signal. The same goes for the right.

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
SDDave said:
The Denon 3805 does support multiple subwoofers read pages 99 and 100 of the users manual. The reason to use two subwoofers is when your fronts and rears that do not respond to frequencies down to 20Hz. In this case you can set the receiver to send the frequencies below 80Hz that are meant for the left front or rear to the left subwoofer in addition to the LFE signal. The same goes for the right.
What? Not to be sarcastic, but that's not the reason to use two subs. That's partially a reason to use "a" sub. Amps with two rca's sometimes allow a stereo signal to be passed on to a sub. There are not many recordings where this is at all necessary. A matrixed, or mono signal is sufficient for dual subs. Two subs will simply put out more bass than one. Two subs can be dialed in to produce different frequencies to cover more of the lower end band. The Denon has one rca sub output. Where on these pages do you see two rca's?
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR3805 DFU.pdf

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have a 3805 running 2 subs through a Y cable off the subwoofer RCA jack. Pretty sure you can't run a stereo sub off the 3805. My old Yamaha DSP-A3090 had stereo sub (LFE) jacks (left and right)

S

SDDave

Audiophyte
Your are referencing the 3805 I referenced the 5805. I read your first responce and type the 3805 instead of the 5805 that I used in my first response. Sorry for the confusion.

QED

QED

Audioholic Intern
I may be confused, but I thought the main reason to use two subs was to balance out the room modes.

It seems like it would be easier to use independant peq for each subwoofer if a receiver had two sub outs.

Otherwise, i think you would have to split the mono signal & feed it into a two channel peq device (or 2 one channel devices)

Anybody have any clarification on this?

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
nad t773 has two

Although I agree with the Y-Cable option

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis