Necessary to match brands for 7.1 setup ?

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Title pretty much says it all, but im mainly focused on the 6 towers.

My guess is it is probably best to go with the same brand all around. I have EMP's as the front sound stage (center & 2 front), boston A360's in the rear. Elemental Subwoofer.

I am able to get the Boston CS260II at a heck of a deal..Will it all work together or be crap? Does the calibration system on my Pioneer Elite level out the differences between the group? Anything else?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You will not gain anything with the CS260 >> they will not
timbre (voice) match the A series. While it is best to match
all the way around, the key is for the front l/c/r speakers to
work together. Receiver calibration systems, will not timbre
match your systems.

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
So i guess a better question to ask is instead of the CS260's what should I get to complete the 7.1 setup with my existing 5.1 setup? Maybe something else from EMP since that is the front stage?

Current setup:

EMP E5ti - Left/Center/Right
Boston A360 Rear
Elemental Designs Sub

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
Sub definetly does NOT need to match and I think if you look at most of the systems people run here, it is commonly the "odd speaker out". The rears SHOULD match the fronts if possible (and the carpet SHOULD match the drapes :p ) but assembling a good system with mismatched rears is also possible.

Personally I have found that size and sensitivty matched rears to fronts to be the easiest to blend. I am not suggesting you hang towers from your back wall but if you are running towers in the front with say, 8 inch woofers and a 6 1/2 inch mid, using a two way bookshelf with a 5 inch woofer for a rear channel will not sonically blend easily at all, even if the specs line up well from a matched component perspective.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So i guess a better question to ask is instead of the CS260's what should I get to complete the 7.1 setup with my existing 5.1 setup? Maybe something else from EMP since that is the front stage?

Current setup:

EMP E5ti - Left/Center/Right
Boston A360 Rear
Elemental Designs Sub
Match A series surrounds, with A series

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Match A series surrounds, with A series
Why? My guess is....If i get this right..... The front sound stage should be all the same then when mixing brands (which i already did) you should keep all the rear and surround the same brand?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Why? My guess is....If i get this right..... The front sound stage should be all the same then when mixing brands (which i already did) you should keep all the rear and surround the same brand?
I am talking about the side surrounds and rear, for series brand
match-up with the A series.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis