Nearfield and Subwoofer Localization

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Look up the Crawling For Bass article if it is still available. The way subwoofers interact with YOUR room boundaries should be determined before selecting crossover frequencies. Moving your sub literally just a couple of inches will effect its perceived performance at the listening location.

My 2.2 has a sub in front, and in back. My room is a MAJOR compromise and so yes, my rear sub can be localized at times, but after having crawled around the room with my ears and a SPL meter, I was able to find some happy locations. One sub is corner loaded, and for a long while I had tape on the floor to mark its location as it would easily become 'muddy' as a result of too much corner loading. Inches make a difference!

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
Hi TheWarrior,

I was specifically referring to nearfield or PC setups...
Probably dual subs might be overkill as well.
But since the article talks easy localization due to close proximity and high crossover ( which would be required for small speakers) , I thought checking about this with the experts...

Thanks!

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, yeah that changes everything. Assuming these are not media speakers, tell us what electronics/speakers you are using.

If these are media speakers, move your sub around til it sounds best. If you feel you need another, buy another.

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
I am planning to buy KEF Q100/Q300.
But looking at higher crossover to reduce excursion needs on coax woofer, to reduce its impact on the tweeter response...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Don't over think it. KEF has many great reviews. If you are happy with one sub, great. If not, buy two!

Keep reading the articles on this site, great information for the taking!

H

HifiAudio

Enthusiast
Yes, thats one way to go about it.

The only reason I was deciding between one or 2 now, is because its not for SPL reasons but for excursion reasons as I mentioned.
And if higher crossover is localizable in nearfield, then will need to go for stereo subs. And then will need to go for DIY subs as not sure how the off the shelf subs like (NHT super 8, svs sb1000) will handle higher crossover of say 200Hz... (for single sub solution , with crossover 100Hz or below, I can just buy SB1000 and be happy )
Of course, 2 subs will be bulky for the nearfield :):)
But yes just evaluating the best approach.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis