native resolution and 1080i?

D

dnaps

Enthusiast
Since a large portion of HDTV's have a native resolution of somewhere around 1366 x 768 (im sure it varies), are you goin to get a better picture when sending 1080i say out of a SAT receiver? even if the tv is capable of "displaying" 1080i? I guess I'm a bit confused on "native resolution" v/s "being able to display higher resolutions." Any help's appreciated.

Seems as though a 720p signal would be more "ideal" with a tv that has a native resolution of something around 1366 x 768....... is this making any sense?

Last edited:
Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It has been my assumption that most TV's, at least RPTV and front projectors, are 1280x720. Plasma and flat panel LCD's are different.

It is best to input a signal that is as close to the native resolution as possible in order to minimize the amount of scaling required.

D

dnaps

Enthusiast
i have a 32" LCD flat panel..... that is where the 1366 x 768 figures came from

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I would feed it 1280x720 since it's closest to the native resolution. Though 1080i or 1080p shouldn't look bad either. It's largely dependent on the scaler in the TV.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Since your panel is a progressive display it will take all incoming signals and scale them to its native rate....likely around 720p. From your HD receiver you probably have only two choices....720p or 1080i. On my cable box, 1080i looks very slightly better than 720p on my display YMMV. Try it both ways and see what looks best. If you have the option of a digital feed to the display from the receiver, try that as well as component input at the different resolutions.

Mort

C

clayman88

Junior Audioholic
Like Hi Ho mentioned, your tv is going to scale whatever it is given to it's own native resolution. What you'll need to determine is whether your sat box or your tv does a better job of scaling & interlacing/deinterlacing the signal.

D

docferdie

Audioholic
I personally think that the resolution of 1366x768 or 1365x768 are idiotic resolutions. These are not true 16x9 resolutions with square pixels which is what 1280x720 and 1920x1080 are. 1280x720 content will always look best on a 1280x720 display and a 1920x1080 image will look best on a 1920x1080 display. As far as setting your box to 720p or 1080i you should really let it output the native resolution of the content to minimize scaling and rescaling. For example setting the box to output ESPN which is 720p 60 fps to 1080i 30 fps results in loss of frames without gaining any image detail.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I think what you have to remember is that most home theater solutions are just upgrades on chips\displays designed previously. Does 1024 x 768 sound familiar? Do you see a pattern here? Instead of starting from scratch and totally retooling, displays\chips are modified from standard products like the before mentioned 4:3 resolution. All they had to do was change the horizontal resolution for 16:9 to 1366 and kept the vertical resolution the same.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
clayman88 said:
Like Hi Ho mentioned, your tv is going to scale whatever it is given to it's own native resolution. What you'll need to determine is whether your sat box or your tv does a better job of scaling & interlacing/deinterlacing the signal.
That's a big BINGO! The best thing to do is to try all possible resolutions to the display including 'native' resolution, then see which works best. Each and every display responds a bit differently and some do a fantastic job with 1080i and bring it down to 768p or 720p beautifully, while other displays work best with 720p coming in.

Others just handle the original formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) great and convert them all to the screens native format with barely a hiccup so you truly get the best possible display from those formats.

I personally set my output to 1080i on my cable box to feed my Sampo 50" plasma and Panny front projection system. Seems to work well enough.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis