Narrowed my selection down to 4 subs

J

Jerod81

Audioholic Intern
I am fairly new to audioholics, and started a thread about a week ago looking for advice on a new HT area in my basement. The HT area is 15 1/2' wide, by 20' deep. Thanks to lots of advice from many different people, I have decided on the following set up for my 7.2 Home theater.
-Denon 4311ci reciever
-Aperion Verus grand towers and surround speakers
-Epson 5010 3D projector
-100" or 106" Elite sable screen

Now, the only thing left to decide is which PAIR of subs to get. The subs will mostly be used for movies/tv. I have narrowed it down to 4, and would like some help deciding.
-Hsu Vtf 15h: 350w continuous/1400w short term; 15" sub; 16hz $879 ea
-Rhythmik FV15HP: 15" sub; 600w continuous; 14-90hz $1499 ea
-eD A7-350: 15" sub; 1300w amp; 16-100hz $1,440 ea
-SVS PB12-Plus: 12" sub; 800w amp; 16-150hz $1,399 ea

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have read several reviews on each speaker, and have read nothing bad about any of them. I figure I can't go wrong with any of them, but am having a hard time narrowing it down. Thanks in advance for all comments/suggestions/information:)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
HT Area? Is your "ht area" open to other spaces/rooms? You sub(s) won't know the limits of what you define ht area.
That said, most likely any pair of subs you picked will be able to fill and pressurize very large spaces :D

Lets start with my least favorite and start going up:
-eD A7-350: 15" sub; 1300w amp; 16-100hz $1,440 ea
This one has all the kick and extension you would ever want or need, but eD subs are not very transient - thus not perfect for music, but still great for HT

-Hsu Vtf 15h: 350w continuous/1400w short term; 15" sub; 16hz $879 ea
On the opposite - very musical sub, just don't have strong low real extension and lacks in power.

Now these two:
-SVS PB12-Plus: 12" sub; 800w amp; 16-150hz $1,399 ea
This is a great sub in all aspects ... but

-Rhythmik FV15HP: 15" sub; 600w continuous; 14-90hz $1499 ea
This is sub is better and basically it's on the level with SVS PB13-Ultra

p.s: Most vendors will provide discounts if you order two if you ask

G

gaby95

Audioholic
VTF-15H On the opposite - very musical sub, just don't have strong low real extension and lacks in power.
I completely disagree with this as it has been tested in the different configuration options to offer low extension and big power.
With that said, with his budget, I would probably go with the Rhythmik as well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I completely disagree with this as it has been tested in the different configuration options to offer low extension and big power.
With that said, with his budget, I would probably go with the Rhythmik as well.
Gaby, it's your right to disagree, but it doesn't make me wrong - according to AH & Ricci's testing:
Audioholics Subwoofer Measurement Data Compilation & Report — Reviews and News from Audioholics
HSU VTF-15H doesn't offer much below 20hz in CEA test, plus AH certified 15H for large spaces, while FV15HP for extremely large.

Don't get it wrong - VTF-15H is a great sub, but it just in the same league as FV15HP or PB13-Ultra

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
Ricci did not do the testing of the VTF-15H. I have one in a 3300 cubic ft room in a split level that opens up to the rest of the house and have no problems with output. My sweeps show high output to 14hz. With that being said at around 1K shipped it is a great sub.

The FV15HP or PB13-Ultra are much more expensive and the reviews show better results, as they should. They are fine subs that are 50% and 100% more than the HSU. The OP can't go wrong with any of them.

Gaby, it's your right to disagree, but it doesn't make me wrong - according to AH & Ricci's testing:
Audioholics Subwoofer Measurement Data Compilation & Report — Reviews and News from Audioholics
HSU VTF-15H doesn't offer much below 20hz in CEA test, plus AH certified 15H for large spaces, while FV15HP for extremely large.

Don't get it wrong - VTF-15H is a great sub, but it just in the same league as FV15HP or PB13-Ultra

J

Jerod81

Audioholic Intern
HT Area? Is your "ht area" open to other spaces/rooms? You sub(s) won't know the limits of what you define ht area.
The "area" opens only to the rear about 18' more to my bar, but I'm not too worried about sound quality back there, and my surrounds will be mounted at the 20' mark. Thanks for the input, that helps with my decision:).

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
The "area" opens only to the rear about 18' more to my bar, but I'm not too worried about sound quality back there, and my surrounds will be mounted at the 20' mark. Thanks for the input, that helps with my decision:).
It isn't about the sound quality "back there". It's that being open "back there" will impact the bass where you're sitting. Low bass is reinforced by small spaces, and gets lost in bigger open spaces.

If you're actually talking about a 15 1/2 foot by 38foot space, that's a very different story.

G

gaby95

Audioholic

As the other poster said Ricci did not measure it and that one review is the ONLY one to show this anomaly so you be the judge....

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
As the others have mentioned your sub won't acknowledge "imaginary" boundaries, only physical ones. That additional 18' will need to be account for when doing your space calculations.

Be cautious of eD; they're currently going through some very difficult times, so buying from them at this point has a greater potential of turning out badly then any of the other companies you mentioned. Caveat emptor always applies, but in the case of eD it might be more of a risky proposition then in the past.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Im not sure why people think that the VTF-15H is under powered or could benefit from more power?

The VTF-15H driver is very efficient & 350w gets the driver to its limits. Both the amp & the driver run out of steam at about the same time when pushed to the max. So if Dr.Hsu put a larger amp with it, there would be no benefit. He knows his stuff & paired the amp/sub correctly.

The VTF-15H is on par or even a bit better than the FV-15. But the FV15HP is a step up from there. So yes, if money wasnt an issue then i agree to get dual FV15HP subs. But if i wasnt going to be pushing the limits on dual FV15HP subs then i would not spend the extra money for them. Dual VTF-15H subs would be more than ever needed for most people. So the OP needs to figure out what hes willing to spend & make sure hes not spending more money than needed.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP shipped= $2820
Dual HSU VTF-15H shipped= $2175

There is a difference of about $645 between the 2 subs. With my owning a single VTF-15H & using it in a space the equals 8600cuft & being as impressed as i am, my recommendation for dual subs goes to the VTF-15H. If i were going with a single sub then id go with the FV15HP because id want that little extra spmething. But the performance of dual subs & a savings of over $600 the HSU would be my pick. They are just so musical but powerful as well.

The SVS is also a great sub so at least the OP will get an amazing setup of subs with any of the choices. (id personally stay away from ED as well though)

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
The HSU will certainly extend below 20hz in a room with authority. There are may owners that are doing just that, and with duals it would not be hard it all as long as you have it in the sweet spot in the room and actually spend the time to set it up and configure it properly.

That said, the OP has the money and I would tend to agree to go with the Rythmik duals or just throw the budget out the window and go with dual Subversives :)

Or consider quad Epik Empires since it is still within budget.

As a former eD owner who will never buy from them again, I would caution considering them.

R

ratm

Audioholic
The HSU will certainly extend below 20hz in a room with authority. There are may owners that are doing just that, and with duals it would not be hard it all as long as you have it in the sweet spot in the room and actually spend the time to set it up and configure it properly.

That said, the OP has the money and I would tend to agree to go with the Rythmik duals or just throw the budget out the window and go with dual Subversives :)

Or consider quad Epik Empires since it is still within budget.

As a former eD owner who will never buy from them again, I would caution considering them.
everything he says (except the eD owner part)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis