NAD vs. Parasound Preamplifier

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
[/COLOR]I’m looking for a pre-amp in the $1k price range to anchor atwo-channel, music only system. I’venarrowed my choices to the NAD C 165BEE or the Parasound P5. I realize the P5 has far morefeatures than the NAD, such as a DAC, HT pass-through and bass management, butI would not be using any of these features, so I’m considering the pre-ampspurely on their sound characteristics and quality.

I will be connecting the preamp to a Parasound A21 power amplifierdriving a pair of Totem Element Fire stand mount speakers. These speakers are generally very accurate,though they may be a bit on the analytical and forward side, so I am seekingamplification with fullness and warmth, but not unnaturally so. (Although I know tube gear would be more aptto achieving that goal, I want to stay away from tubes for this system)

I’d appreciate any input, especially from those who may havehad experience with a direct comparison between the NAD C 165BEE and the Parasound P5.

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I’m looking for a pre-amp in the $1k price range to anchor atwo-channel, music only system.I’venarrowed my choices to the NAD C 165BEE or the Parasound P5.I realize the P5 has far morefeatures than the NAD, such as a DAC, HT pass-through and bass management, butI would not be using any of these features, so I’m considering the pre-ampspurely on their sound characteristics and quality.

I will be connecting the preamp to a Parasound A21 power amplifierdriving a pair of Totem Element Fire stand mount speakers.These speakers are generally very accurate,though they may be a bit on the analytical and forward side, so I am seekingamplification with fullness and warmth, but not unnaturally so.(Although I know tube gear would be more aptto achieving that goal, I want to stay away from tubes for this system)

I’d appreciate any input, especially from those who may havehad experience with a direct comparison between the NAD C 165BEE and the Parasound P5.

Thanks all.
I have seen more reliability complaints online for Nad than Para, so I would lean towards the Para.

But, at a $1K budget, why not get the Emo XSP-1?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since you already have the Parasound A21, you should get the Parasound P5 all the way. :D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
There is also the Oppo HA-1 DAC/Preamp and works well connected directly to a Parasound A51 :D

- Rich

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
You never know when you may need the extra features of the Parasound P5. For me it would not be a question. Parasound all day, every day.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
"I have seen more reliability complaints online for Nad than Para, so I would lean towards the Para."

Thanks for the insight.

"But, at a $1K budget, why not get the Emo XSP-1?"

I prefer the ergonomics and styling on the NAD and Parasound.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Since you already have the Parasound A21, you should get the Parasound P5 all the way. :D
Parasound just seems to pack in so many more features at the price point, so I'm wondering if they've cut any corners on basic sound quality...but then again, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Parasound just seems to pack in so many more features at the price point, so I'm wondering if they've cut any corners on basic sound quality...but then again, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.
I wouldn't agonise over differences in basic sound quality... there'll be very little to no real difference between the two.

What will make a tangible difference to your overall sound quality is adding a powered sub to the system. Freeing up the Totems from playing the excursion heavy lower two octaves will allow them to perform at their best in the upper bass and midrange. You'll also gain a nice underlying fullness and tone to all your music. Therefore, the Parasound for me is clearly the pick for it's flexible bass management capabilities. It's digital inputs/DAC also allow for future flexibility.

Parasound Halo P 5 Stereo Preamplifier Preview | Audioholics

Sub? Take a look at the Rythmik Audio F12 or F12SE, both with the optional A370XLR2 amp.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Why not spend a little less if you don't need the features, I love my Parasound 2100, but I really like the p5 for its price, that is a heck of a unit... I have a few parasound products, and they have never let me down...

I have heard the p5 and the nad, but with different speakers so I couldn't tell you if the sound was different, I am going to guess it was great with both.. I would get the p5 to match your amp... I do think the p5 is expensive, another option is get a zpre2 and zcd, bolt them together and they will take up one rack space for less money than any other pre and will sound just as good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-ZPRE2-Two-Channel-Zone-Preamplifier-/221539410633?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3394c722c9
http://www.amazon.com/Parasound-Zcd-CD-Player-USB/dp/B00859LIWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409888215&sr=8-1&keywords=zcd
parasound sells a kit that covers up the holes and lets you bolt the 2 together... it looks pretty cool...

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Good call, but I need more than one analog input.
Do you need more than 2? There are XLR and RCA analog inputs.
It's also a great headphone amp, but that wasn't on your list.

For me a USB DAC, a media server (J River), and an iPad app has made access to my music absolutely fantastic.

- Rich

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
These speakers are generally very accurate,though they may be a bit on the analytical and forward side, so I am seekingamplification with fullness and warmth, but not unnaturally so.(
You will never "cancel" a speaker's tonal quality with electronics. While there's nothing wrong with wanting pricey electronics, just realize that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In this case, less is just less, not better. The "shortest path" is just short, not better. And more is really more. :D

Don't get brainwashed into thinking that less is actually more or better. ;)

RichB

RichB

In this case, less is just less, not better. The "shortest path" is just short, not better. And more is really more. :D

But when more is less, less is not more. More or less :p :D

- Rich

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

Normally I disagree with this, lol I am a firm believer in having the shortest signal path, when it comes to people wanting to use an avr in a music only system, but with the parasound p5 and its integrated dac it is different, the dac is not in the signal path unless you are using it...
Parasound preamps are very nice, the proof is in the past, they have sold a ton of preamp and you hardly ever see them for sale on the used market and I have never seen a broken one for sale... Even the 2100 is still sought after, when they introduced the p5 there were a few 2100's available used but that was all guys upgrading to the p5....
Pull the trigger on the parasound you wont be sorry, when emotiva had the usp1 for $350ish and their dac for $200 it was hard to rationalize spending twice as much on the parasound unit but now that the USP1 is no longer available the parasound stuff became a lot more attractive...

And don't rule out the Z gear, that zpre, zcd, zdac is all really nice stuff, don't let the small size fool you most of the preamps, dac's and cd players in full chassis size are just selling you empty boxes, take a look at the internal pics on the net, all of that equipment is empty, a couple small boards and thats it...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You will never "cancel" a speaker's tonal quality with electronics. While there's nothing wrong with wanting pricey electronics, just realize that.
I think that is the case if the electronics are also "accurate". Good room EQ systems could also partially "cancel" ........but only slightly..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Normally I disagree with this, lol I am a firm believer in having the shortest signal path, when it comes to people wanting to use an avr in a music only system, but with the parasound p5 and its integrated dac it is different, the dac is not in the signal path unless you are using it...
Parasound preamps are very nice, the proof is in the past, they have sold a ton of preamp and you hardly ever see them for sale on the used market and I have never seen a broken one for sale... Even the 2100 is still sought after, when they introduced the p5 there were a few 2100's available used but that was all guys upgrading to the p5....
Pull the trigger on the parasound you wont be sorry, when emotiva had the usp1 for $350ish and their dac for $200 it was hard to rationalize spending twice as much on the parasound unit but now that the USP1 is no longer available the parasound stuff became a lot more attractive...

And don't rule out the Z gear, that zpre, zcd, zdac is all really nice stuff, don't let the small size fool you most of the preamps, dac's and cd players in full chassis size are just selling you empty boxes, take a look at the internal pics on the net, all of that equipment is empty, a couple small boards and thats it...
Although I do own a $7500 fully balanced pre-pro and have owned preamps, I will argue for the AVR.

I've own pure analog "shortest path" class-A stereo preamps from Acurus and Bryston. No tone controls. Just simple analog inputs. Shortest path mentality. And I've compared the sound quality vs $500 Denon & HK AVR in Direct Mode. And they really sound equally pure. They also measure about the same in terms of SNR, Crosstalk, FR, THD. It's no surprise to me that they sound about the same. Unless you involve EQ/DSP, I don't think a stereo preamp or pre-pro has any sonic advantages over an AVR if we are just comparing Pure Direct vs Pure Direct. No magic here. ;)

Now if going the shortest path saves you money and still sound equally great to you, then I'm all for it. :D

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
To Sum It Up

[/COLOR]Well, thanks everyone for valuable input. This forum always is helpful.

It seems like most are leaning toward the Parasound, so that may be thebetter way to go. At the end of the dayI’m not sure how much discernable impact a preamp will have on sound vs. the poweramp, especially when you’re not going vinyl. Sans-vinyl the pre may be mostly a question of features, styling,ergonomics, compatibility, etc., the latter of which would favor the Parasoundfor me since my power amp is a Parasound. (although I do favor the retro styling and solid ergonomics of the NADpre over the Parasound – I’m having trouble with that smaller volume knob onthe P5)

Just for kicks I read through the customer reviews on Crutchfield forthe NAD and most all were very favorable…except for one which, wouldn’t youknow it, happened to be from someone who compared it directly to a Parasound! (what appears to be the Classic 2100 from thedescription)
I’ve inserted that review below…
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I bought this unit to replace my Adcom 565 from the early 90s. I lovethe 565, but wanted something with remote control. This unit looked to be aperfect replacement and even looked like my old Adcom! When I saw an open boxavailable, I jumped on it.

Once I received it and cracked the wrapper, I was immediately impressed. Thelook and feel, heft, and overall build quality are great, and it looked greatin my rack. This could be the one! But then I turned it on, popped in mylistening test disc, and was immediately disappointed. I don't know if the unitwas faulty (it was an open box after all), but the sound was lean and wiry,with weak bass. There was no body to strings, no palpability to theinstruments. I was always aware that I was listening to electronics and notmusic. Anyway, I have since returned it and settled on a Parasound instead,which to my ears is far superior (and cheaper to boot), not to mention that ithas HT pass-through and bass management capability. I also test drove anEmotiva, which was also far superior to the NAD (and even cheaper), althoughnot quite as good as the Parasound.

Sorry, NAD. I wanted to love you, but you just didn't measure up in listeningtests. I'm almost hoping it was defective, because NAD is a good company. Buteven if I got a bad one, at the price, I think there's better value out therein preamps from Parasound and Emotiva. Even the Emotiva with balanced outputsis less $.
Pros:
Build quality, look and feel
Cons:
Lean, wiry sound, weak bass, nocrossover or home theater bypass, high cost”

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I love my 2100, but use it with a d1 dac so someday I will step up to the p5, although for the price the 2100 is the way to go, there is one on ebay rite now you may be able to score, they just don't come up often...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis