NAD T754 AVR as Power Amp

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Dear All

Current Set Up - Yamaha A870 7.2 AVR connected as below
Oled C8 via Optical and HDMI
LR - B&W 603s new connected to Crown XLS 1502 ( Pre out from Yamaha)
Centre - B&W HTM6
Front Heights - Polk OWMs3s
Surrounds - Bose 301 Series V
No Sub as some local challenges

Had bought a used NAD T754 for driving LCR ( as power amp ) and the balance thru the Yamaha so that i get the 7.0 ( no sub)

Query - I use my set up primarily for Movies and less for Music
I was thinking of 3 options
1. Use the T754 as power amp for driving LCR ( remove the crown XLS 1502) - Use Yamaha A870 for the rest so get 7 Channel
2. Use the T 754 as power amp for driving 5 Channels - LCR SR SL and the rest 2 from Yamaha to get the 7 Channel
3. Connect the Oled to T754 using Optical and get 5.1 but then the Yamaha and all its features get wasted

I was hoping to use the NAD signature sound for driving LCR while for the rest i could use the Yamaha - Is that even possible.

Thank you and Have a wonderful enlightening safe year.

Rajesh

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Dear All

Current Set Up - Yamaha A870 7.2 AVR connected as below
Oled C8 via Optical and HDMI
Centre - B&W HTM6

Had bought a used NAD T754 for driving LCR ( as power amp ) and the balance thru the Yamaha so that i get the 7.0 ( no sub)

Query - I use my set up primarily for Movies and less for Music
I was thinking of 3 options
1. Use the T754 as power amp for driving LCR ( remove the crown XLS 1502) - Use Yamaha A870 for the rest so get 7 Channel
2. Use the T 754 as power amp for driving 5 Channels - LCR SR SL and the rest 2 from Yamaha to get the 7 Channel
3. Connect the Oled to T754 using Optical and get 5.1 but then the Yamaha and all its features get wasted

I was hoping to use the NAD signature sound for driving LCR while for the rest i could use the Yamaha - Is that even possible.

Thank you and Have a wonderful enlightening safe year.

Rajesh
Does the Yamaha have pre amp outputs for all the channels? Is your setup 7.2? Does the Yamaha provide 7 channel amplification? Are you doing this just to get the NAD to do the amplification?

I am doing exactly this except with a NAD T763 as power amp and denon x4300h as receiver. My setup is 7.2.4 and denon only has 9 channels for amp and not 11. So I removed the external jumpers on the nad (the connects the preamp outputs to power amp in (main in), and connected the LCR SL SR to the NAD and the rest of the channels are powered by denon.

I did audyssey calibration and it works great. One thing to consider, i wired it to main in so that the volume control on nad is bypassed. Can you do the same kind of wiring on your 754? Compare the sound of Yamaha only and Yamaha and nad. What speakers are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Does the Yamaha have pre amp outputs for all the channels? Is your setup 7.2? Does the Yamaha provide 7 channel amplification? Are you doing this just to get the NAD to do the amplification?

I am doing exactly this except with a NAD T763 as power amp and denon x4300h as receiver. My setup is 7.2.4 and denon only has 9 channels for amp and not 11. So I removed the external jumpers on the nad (the connects the preamp outputs to power amp in (main in), and connected the LCR SL SR to the NAD and the rest of the channels are powered by denon.

I did audyssey calibration and it works great. One thing to consider, i wired it to main in so that the volume control on nad is bypassed. Can you do the same kind of wiring on your 754? Compare the sound of Yamaha only and Yamaha and nad. What speakers are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi - Happy New Year -
Yes Yamaha Has pre-outs (but quite weak as i read on the web) to which i will connect the LCR and then to the NAD Main . The Yamaha is a 7.2.
When u say wired to the main do you mean like a Trigger s i got that wire too.
Speakers
Centre - B&W HTM6

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I think it's generally a silly exercise to use it as an external amp to begin with, I wouldn't worry so much about the output levels of the Yamaha vs the type of input and it's sensitivity level that the Nad would have on available analog inputs (well, except for phono).

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
While I think it's generally a silly exercise to use it as an external amp to begin with, I wouldn't worry so much about the output levels of the Yamaha vs the type of input and it's sensitivity level that the Nad would have on available analog inputs (well, except for phono).
Oops :) I am confused more. Request if you can pls advise what would be the best use for the NAD with my set up. Heard so much about the NAD signature sound paired with the B&Ws that i got a used one.
Excited to try out whatever u suggest.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt there's a signature sound just because the amp is from the Nad brand myself, sounds silly to me. The other components will probably have a greater influence than the amp section itself too. Sounds like you've been reading silly audiophile nonsense. I wouldn't personally buy either Nad or B&W....just don't find them particularly worthy. Just use your Crown, it's far more capable than that nad avr.

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
I doubt there's a signature sound just because the amp is from the Nad brand myself, sounds silly to me. The other components will probably have a greater influence than the amp section itself too. Sounds like you've been reading silly audiophile nonsense. I wouldn't personally buy either Nad or B&W....just don't find them particularly worthy. Just use your Crown, it's far more capable than that nad avr.
Hmm. All part of my learning i guess. Thank you. 2021 is already turning Enlightening for me :)
And Thank you for the straight precise answers.

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Just for my next speaker purchase- what would be your choice of speakers and avr for a 7.0 set up. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for my next speaker purchase- what would be your choice of speakers and avr for a 7.0 set up. Thanks
My preferences wouldn't likely align with yours as I wouldn't consider most without subs and the speakers I'd want if I couldn't have subs are quite expensive....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis