NAD 973 input gain settings?

NGL_BrSH

NGL_BrSH

Junior Audioholic
I can't really figure it out.. i've been messing around with my stuff lately and i was listening to The Fifth Element on Blu-ray and I noticed that when Chris Tucker was screaming etc, that my Energy Center channel was breaking up. So I got thinking that maybe having the input gains "fully clockwise" or turned up according to the NAD manual wasn't such a great idea.

Anyone else have input on this? Should I turn them down a bit?

Also.. I have all my speakers set to large because I like the way they sound better that way but will this damage my speakers?

My thinking was they have built-in crossovers and they would be fine.. I guess i'm just freaking out here and would love some input.. no pun intended ;)

gear: NAD T163 pre-pro, NAD T973 Power Amp, Energy RC-LCR center, RC-70's front, RC-30s rears all set to large, Definitive Technologies Supercube Reference subwoofer.

Thanks!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Does the clipping occur at any level, even low levels of output?

Does the receiver feature the "soft clipping" feature?

I would recommend setting all speakers to small, setting the receiver's x-over to 80hz, and bypassing the subwoofer's x-over by adjusting it to 200hz.:)

I used to think that my speakers sounded their best when set to large, but with the relief of the lower frequencies you can achieve more SPL and give the receiver some room to breath.

You should likely get an SPL meter and adjust the trim for each channel to equal levels from a specified location (seating area).:)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I own the same NAD units. Unfortunately, the t163 only has a singular universal x-over. However, I would most definitely x-over the center. When you run it full range, even the speaker's upper range may become stressed out since its trying to produce low frequencies it simply was not meant for. Especially when quite a bit of healthy power is being sent from the 973.

Im not sure that x-over will fully solve your problem, but I still highly recommend it. I would recommend a x-over of that speaker at 60hz, if not higher, depending on how loud you do crank it.

NGL_BrSH

NGL_BrSH

Junior Audioholic
great, thank you both for thorough responses. I had used an SPL meter i picked up to balance the system. I will use the small speaker setting from here on out. The speakers only make the "clipping" sound at louder levels but not like ear-bleed level.

Can someone still answer the question about the 7 seperate input gain adjusters i have on my amp? it says min and then all the way up to THX..

I had a car amp once and when i cranked up the gain it certainly made more output but it also created much more distortion. I know car and home is completely different but this is the only reference point for me.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
great, thank you both for thorough responses. I had used an SPL meter i picked up to balance the system. I will use the small speaker setting from here on out. The speakers only make the "clipping" sound at louder levels but not like ear-bleed level.

Can someone still answer the question about the 7 seperate input gain adjusters i have on my amp? it says min and then all the way up to THX..

I had a car amp once and when i cranked up the gain it certainly made more output but it also created much more distortion. I know car and home is completely different but this is the only reference point for me.
If it clips at high levels of output only I don't believe that the input gain for the amplifier would be the cause. The sound you are hearing is more than likely amplifier clipping, the only way to correct it is to get more power or use the x-over. I would use the x-over for all channels and let the subwoofer take the bass. Lower frequencies take far more power than higher ones and with so much being demanded of the amplifier it will clip at any frequency (higher frequencies would be most noticed).

Good luck.:)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
NGL_BrSH

I just leave my gain at max for all 7 channels. Any level adjustment, of which there is minimal, Ive done in the pre/pro. I never activated soft clipping, as Im sure it must be some sort of compression(?), icky.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis