N00B needs help with speaker choices...

xelatoth

xelatoth

Audiophyte
Hello all!
I am new to this site and welcome your expert opinions...

I am 29 and have been an avid gamer since I was 3 or so.
I love watching movies and love music as well

So, I guess it was inevitable that I would one day endeavor to set myself up a decent system; one that is capable of doing all 3 rather well (i.e. games, movies, music).

I am aware that to truly do ALL well I would need to spend 10k+ ..lol
Alas... my budget is much less I fear.

I have already purchased the T.V., A/V receiver, and cables..
I am now trying to choose a surround sound setup (Sub, and 5.1 worth of speakers - eventually will add 2 more when I move from my apt. into my 1st home)

*** Here is what I have:
TV = Samsung LN - T4665F
Receiver = Onkyo TX-SR605 in black to match TV
DVD Player = Oppo 981HD 1080p upconverter
Game Systems = PS3(blu-ray), Xbox360 and Wii

* I only have about $500 - $700 left for a sound setup TOPS! (if something better was a little more $, I guess I could squeez it)

I am a real n00b when it comes to most of this, especially speakers

*** Here are some I was considering:
1.) POLK RM20 on sale for $550
2.) Harman Kardon HKTs - 18 on sale for only $375
3.) ONKYO Sks - TT540 on sale for only $350

- I know these are not great 5.1 setups, but are they good for the $$$?
- also, please let me know if better can be had for around $500 - $700

P.S. I mostly Game and watch movies with music a distant 3rd

Thanx

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want my honest opinion you would be worlds better off buying just 2 speakers right now until you can save up and get yourself the rest for a surround sound setup. an entire 5.1 system for that money will get you something mediocre at best, But for just two front speakers for 5-700 you would be well on your way to a very decent setup.

xelatoth

xelatoth

Audiophyte
...but which brand?

Hey, thanks for thr reply.

Any suggestions as to what kind to get?

As I may have mentioned, I am not very aware of which brands are considered "Good" speakers, but I am only aware of the so-called big guys (sony, yamaha, etc...)

- Oh, and I hope they can also be attractive to a point... like KEFs seem to be.. Thanx

PS - this is in an apartment now, so can not be earthshattering or I may have the cops called on me...lol

W

whitestone

Audioholic Intern
I would check AV123. It might be an option.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I failed to mention any particular brand or model speaker because I personally find it pretty dull when I read a thread like this and 20 different people chime in telling you that you should buy X speaker, which seems like most of the time is the ones they own.

Having said that, of course I am going to reccomend Axiom, having bought them twice over myself. Although I havent heard any offerings from AV123, They would also definetly be on the top of my list for things to check out in that price range. Dont limit yourself to just a couple companies that are usually recommended around here numerous times a day. There are a ton of speaker manufacturers with different styles and sounds to suit what you like.

If you have any sort of electronics stores around you that carry speakers go have a listen to some, even if they are out of your pricerange and try to get a feel for what you like in certain speakers and what your looking for.

xelatoth

xelatoth

Audiophyte
thanx

Ok, thanks

So far I really like the sound of most Paradigm speakers and the Cinema series is within my price range as is the Millenia series (if I buy them in pairs..hehe).

Unfortunately, I can NOT get them anywhere...lol I even called the company and confirmed that there are zero distibuters/retailers that sell these series' within 4-8 hours of me...niiiice

So, failing that I am gonna just get the KEF 3500 lil' egg setup everyone raves about.

Sure, they are not so-called 'top-notch', but I live in an apartment and can not exactly shake the foundations being on the top floor..lol

Thanx for the replies, I appreciate it

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
You could get pretty good pair of speakers for under $600.00 use them while you save for the sub then the center and finally the surround speakers

Check out JBL for exaple

better have an awesome stereo set up than a crappy 5.1

but most important have fun hunting for equipment!!!

xelatoth

xelatoth

Audiophyte
zzzzz

Its fun, if insanity is fun....

Have...... not....... slept ..... much

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

My advice would to be check Audiogon. Used equipment can be a great deal, especially used speakers. A lot of dyed-in-the-wool audiophools change speakers every few months which means there's lots of very gently used stuff out there that could pass for new. Stick to guys with good feedback and you should be fine.

Short of that I'd second the advice that you start with a single pair of speakers. There's no doubt that gaming in 5.1 is a mind-blowing experience thru a great audio rig, but I think you'll find 5.1 thru a mediocre rig less satisfying than good 2CH sound. You probably can add the center and surrounds in a few months, maybe a bit longer depending upon your budget. The neat thing is you'll get that WOW factor all over again with the next round of upgrades. If you go this route, best to stick with companies that don't change speaker models every 6 months or you risk getting speakers that don't match.

I also have to agree that you'll usually get the same guys chiming in, advising you to buy the same brands. There are probably 250 "what brand should I buy?" threads at AH! The truth is there are lots of good speaker makers out there, and it comes down to personal choice + what's available for audition in your area.

That said [sigh!;)] I would heartily recommend the Monitor Audio Bronze B line. The price is good and the performance is stellar, especially for the money. PSB is also good in that price range (disclosure: it took me awhile to warm to their sound, which is a bit "darker" than I normally prefer. Very neutral in the midrange, but a bit "laid back" up top). I think Definative Technology makes decent stuff for the money, too.

What city/state do you live in? You may find an AH'er in your area that will let you check out their system.

BTW- P3, 360 & Wii?!:eek: You're seriously cocked, locked & ready to rock!:D You're definately packin' major heat.:cool: Me, I'm stuck with my late model original Xbox & PSOne!

xelatoth

xelatoth

Audiophyte
again, thanks

Thanx a lot ofr the reply.

I would love to be clocked and ready to go, but alas... there are always more things to buy...lol

Now, my wife not only has to deal with my gaming problem, but my newly budding facsination with great audio B-)

I will definately be going to audition a lot in the coming week or two before making any decision.

Also, as per all of your advice, I will most definately be going with 2 speakers to start. - gonna get 2 floorstanding speakers if possible

I hope the a/v receiver I have chosen is good enough to bi-wire or bi-amp these seeing as they are the only 2 I will have for a month or so.
(its not so much that I can not afford to get 3 and then the last 2, but it is what my wife will allow...hehe - at least w/o a lot of convincing anyhow)

But, I want to sincerly thank you all for stopping me from buying a htib type setup that I would have probably thrown out in a few years.

Now, I will have something I can build on and something that will evolve with me and my family... niiiice

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis