KEF X300A HiFi Powered Monitor Speakers Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I've been listening to and reviewing speakers like these KEF X300A's for quite some time. In fact, a lot of bookshelf speakers as well as many powered monitors come across my desk literally. Well, not literally. They're more or less next to my desk. On stands. The point is I've listened to a lot of these speakers and I know what I like. I love solid bass, but it doesn't have to sound like a subwoofer is in the room. It just has to be punchy, you know? Where it hits you right in the chest. If your speakers do that, you've got bass pretty much covered. As for highs, what you're listening for is clarity without that brittleness that can come from a tweeter that not integrated well or receiving signal through a poorly thought-out crossover. The KEF X300A's seem to have it all.

Discuss "KEF X300A HiFi Powered Monitor Speakers Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
it really ticks me off that you can't add a sub to these. cuz damn i want these.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why do you think you can't add a sub to these?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Because they have no outputs. The connection between the two is USB. They seem pretty cool, nice specs, look great, but the price is still pretty up there. I don't need something like this, but I still want them :)

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I do have a sub in my office, an 8" Klipsch, and KEF speakers, SP3235. These are driven by a small Pyle amp. The Klipsch & KEF's we're laying around after some HT upgrades, so the only thing I had to spend money on was the amp - about $40. Makes for a good bang for the buck system.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can add the sub before the input to the speaker. It doesn't make a difference at which stage that happens in the signal chain.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
can you please explain how to add a sub for a dummy like me?
If you're lucky, your computer has a SW out channel. If not, then you need a " .1" sound card that has it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can add the sub before the input to the speaker. It doesn't make a difference at which stage that happens in the signal chain.
I suppose, but you'll have to use adapters then because the only analog input is 3.5m

dew334

Audiophyte
argh............the only thing i understand is usb from the speakers to usb on the pc

i think these speakers could be great for me if I could learn how to integrate a sub

any other ideas?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can still use a sub, but it will have to be split from the output of the soundcard, before these speakers and integrated manually. Meaning you need the ability to get to an analog output for the sub most likely, so if the card already has analog output as Slipperybidness mentioned, then you're good.

dew334

Audiophyte
I have no sub output on my internal card. Can i get such a card externally that will allow this? How would this interface with the dac from the speakers?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to use an external card/DAC in conjunction with these because I would expect the audio will only go to one or the other, not both. I haven't tried it though.

dew334

Audiophyte
so basically it's near impossible to integrate a sub and still use the built in dac included with the speakers?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't look like it, but it is hard to say without actually trying it. Maybe shoot KEF an email?

dew334

Audiophyte
i emailed kef

would this work? feed the usb into another dac first (via usb a to b adapter) that has an output like the grant fidelity? yes?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am having a tough time understanding why you are fixated on adding a sub to a system clearly designed for 2.0 only. For example, Audioengine has powered speakers that would make the addition of a sub a non issue. Several integrated amps have a line out and the options there are innumerable.

dew334

Audiophyte
not sure why you need to understand, but essentially i like bass

i think this thread has already proven that options are limited so you appear to be incorrect, if that's not the case, please prove otherwise and detail the "innumerable options" you've just referenced (an integrated amp with a line out will not work....so wrong again)

talk is cheap, time to show your "knowledge" partner

based on your input on this thread.......I suspect...............you cannot

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis