Did CNN Call PlayStation 3 A Sinking Ship?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Soon after NPD Group’s sales statistics reported a decline in PS3 sales since November 2007, the vultures began circling Sony’s gaming machine. CNN’s own Silicon Alley Insider was one such vulture that claimed the PS3 is a sinking ship. But are its criticisms founded? Statistics, they say, can be bent to say anything. But there is no denying that November 2008 sales of PlayStation 3 experienced a 19% decline when compared with sales from November 2007.

Discuss "Did CNN Call PlayStation 3 A Sinking Ship?" here. Read the article.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
You could be seeing a negative impact from the bad economy. A PS3 is a fairly expensive purchase as a gift for the holidays for an average family and people can put off buying one for awhile or altogether until the economy lessens up. People have slowed down or stopped purchases of a lot of things already, so I wouldn't be too quick to say the PS3 is on it's way out because sales are down.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Well Sony lost a sale with me this month. My initial list was the PS3, Pan BD55, Pan BD35 ,Sony 550, Sam 2550 for Blu-ray players. The BD35 and PS3 did not have analog outs so I dropped the BD35 and still debated on the PS3 with the rest of the list because of its value it offered.

In the end I still went with the Xbox 360 + BD55 combo:D:cool:. I felt I was not lacking anything in the gaming department with my current 360:) and the fact the PS3 did not support analog outs was the nail in the coffin for me not buying one.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Why do you need analog outs? HDMI is a wonderful thing...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe he doesn't have an AVR with HDMI repeating, remember we can't all go out and buy new audio/video equippment every day of the week.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My receiver does not pass audio through HDMI so I have to use the 7.1 multichannel analog outs on the Ext. In on my receiver so the BD55 can internally decode all the new audio formats which it is capable of:cool:.

There is no way I am buying a new receiver at this moment, the one I have works just fine. If I did not have the 360 I would have probably went ahead with the PS3 and sacrificed the HD audio formats until I got a new receiver (which was not going to happen for a long time). From a gaming stand point the PS3 does not offer anything better than the 360 that I have so the multichannel analog outs were a huge selling point for me as well as all the great reviews.

Last edited:
Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Maybe he doesn't have an AVR with HDMI repeating, remember we can't all go out and buy new audio/video equippment every day of the week.
I wonder if that means that new HDMI repeating AVRs are a sinking ship?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Maybe NPD Group will find a statistic that says sales of repeating HDMI AVRs are down last month over Nov 07 sales.

But I doubt it.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
You could be seeing a negative impact from the bad economy. A PS3 is a fairly expensive purchase as a gift for the holidays for an average family and people can put off buying one for awhile or altogether until the economy lessens up. People have slowed down or stopped purchases of a lot of things already, so I wouldn't be too quick to say the PS3 is on it's way out because sales are down.
Also Playstation 3 has been out for a while now, a lot of us already have them.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Soon after NPD Group’s sales statistics reported a decline in PS3 sales since November 2007, the vultures began circling Sony’s gaming machine. CNN’s own Silicon Alley Insider was one such vulture that claimed the PS3 is a sinking ship. But are its criticisms founded? Statistics, they say, can be bent to say anything. But there is no denying that November 2008 sales of PlayStation 3 experienced a 19% decline when compared with sales from November 2007.

Discuss "Did CNN Call PlayStation 3 A Sinking Ship?" here. Read the article.
ps3 vs 360 would be a more telling star. Is it gaining or losing ground? I suspect it's losing ground with gears2 out and rock band2 coming out first for 360. And as great a game as LittleBigPlanet is, I can't see it making up the difference.
Sony made several big mistakes this time around. God of War 3 should have been a 2007 or 2008 game. Not getting UE3 working well until 2008 was a big mistake. Not ensuring easports games were best on a ps3 was another. Focusing on home instead of competitive features with xbox live... The list goes on and on. It is a fine piece of hardware though.

L

lario

Junior Audioholic
AVR with HDMI repeating?

Can someone confirm if the Yamaha v661 meets the above requirements? I'm about to inherit one but also looking at purchasing a new one if necessary. Am I also correct to state that one wants to avoid HDMI switching vs. repeating? I will be using the receiver mainly for movies but gaming and music are a close second....I do have a PS3.

Thanks in advance

T

TheD

Enthusiast
The reasons the PS3 is not selling well are,

1. The cost of entry is far to high (vs the 360). As a gaming system it has nothing over the 360 (the PS3 costs so much you can buy a PC that would kick it's arse).

2. The average gamer does not care about blu-ray, why should they? They buy consoles to play games.

3. People like the games they can get on the 360 more and just about all multi platform games look and run better on the 360.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Can someone confirm if the Yamaha v661 meets the above requirements? I'm about to inherit one but also looking at purchasing a new one if necessary. Am I also correct to state that one wants to avoid HDMI switching vs. repeating? I will be using the receiver mainly for movies but gaming and music are a close second....I do have a PS3.

Thanks in advance
The RX-V661 would fit the bill. Switching passes the audio from HDMI to the video device, repeating extracts it and allows you to enjoy high res audio from it.

C

chemicallcrow

Audiophyte
Maybe stating the obvious

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but aren't sales of, well, pretty much everything down these days? Especially non-essential items?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis