Did CNN Call PlayStation 3 A Sinking Ship?

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but aren't sales of, well, pretty much everything down these days? Especially non-essential items?
Well. The only thing the article is pointing out is that sales of Xbox 360 and Wii went up last month compared to Nov. a year ago.

Sales of PS3 wend down last month compared to a year ago Nov.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
The big warning sign is the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan in September. Last gen, Microsoft was lucky to sell a couple hundred Xbox's a month in Japan to the tens of thousands of PS2's...

For all those with a PS3 though, i highly recommend LittleBigPlanet. Easily my favorite game this year.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I think another reason for the decline in PS3 sales has been the ever-lowering price of standalone blu-ray players. PS3 prices have remained relatively constant since it's debut, well they may have dropped by a hundred bucks or so, but standalone blu-ray prices have literally plummeted since they came out. I remember the first blu-ray player that I saw listed at $999, and you can now find them for $250 or so? A good $150 less than the standard 80 GB PS3.

I believe most of the gaming community was first in line when the PS3 came out, and bought one for the gaming obviously. PS3 had the brilliant foresight to make the machine marketable to the regular HT enthusiast as well by incorporating a blu-ray player, which has led to continued sales of the product long after the gaming community caused the initial numbers in sales. But, that foresight didn't take into account the rapid decrease in standalone blu-ray player prices, so that particular market is now spread across a wide variety of choices, not just the 'Standalone BD player for $800 or a PS3 for $400'...

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
The elephant in the room for Sony is lack of good games. The price *may* be forgivable if the games are there. They're not.

Last gen, they had a year exclusive on Grand Theft Auto. No more. Last gen they had an exclusive on Final Fantasy. No more. Where's Gran Turismo? Where's God of War? Where are the Square exclusive RPG's? Bioshock out first for 360? Rock Band too? EA sports games running worse on PS3 than the less-powerful 360?

So far, the exclusives they have:
Resistance: A good shooter, but gets absolutely buried by the likes of Halo3, Gears of War 1/2, and Bioshock.
Ratchet and Clank: Not too many people care.
Motorstorm: Very pretty racer, but pretty shallow too.
LittleBigPlanet: Awesome.
Metal Gear Solid 4: Awesome.
Valkyria: Huh?
Uncharted: A Tomb Raider knock off, though admittedly a very good one.

Where's God of War? Where's Gran Turismo? Where's the equivalent of SSX Tricky? Aside from the uberpowerful hardware, where's the reason to own a PS3? Without software, it's a very big dust magnet.

They let every one of their advantages from last gen (exclusive, big games, best version of the game on PS2) get away from them, and addressed none of their weaknesses (shoddy online play, cheaper, etc). Live was always better, but the PS2 had way more games. Now live is better and they don't have the games. Oh, and they're $100-200 more expensive too. They won't be able to do anything about Live, but they should be able to drop the price and throw some money at Epic/EA to rectify the game situation. Otherwise, it's going to be "game over". They need to get to $299.

Oh, and $55 for an extra controller doesn't help either.

Last edited:
HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Price talks...

IMHO,

The last two posts hit it pretty much dead on, content and price point (low BD player price).

Even if Sony doesn't have exclusivity on a lot of titles, it's not helping that some games are released first on Xbox 360 and then ported to PS3.

Console specs don't mean much if there is not enough game selection to choose from.

Why do you think the Nintendo Wii is selling well? Nintendo Wii has the worst specs but they attract the largest audience because game varieties. Nintendo got smart from their mistakes, build a system for 5yr-85 yr olds and you've got access to a HUGE consumer base...

Just a thought

m3Ch

m3Ch

Enthusiast
The reasons the PS3 is not selling well are,

1. The cost of entry is far to high (vs the 360). As a gaming system it has nothing over the 360 (the PS3 costs so much you can buy a PC that would kick it's arse).

2. The average gamer does not care about blu-ray, why should they? They buy consoles to play games.

3. People like the games they can get on the 360 more and just about all multi platform games look and run better on the 360.
Easy fanboy! I have both systems and the PS3 is just a better piece of hardware hands down. How could you say it costs way more? My 360 cost me more once I had to buy everything that my PS3 came with. 99.99 for the wireless add-on, another 20.00 for the recharge kit. Oh and did I forget the money I spent on the failed HD-DVD add on?? Oh and even though I think XBL is better then sony's online experience, lets not forget you have to pay 50.00 a year (another microsoft add on).

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Easy fanboy! I have both systems and the PS3 is just a better piece of hardware hands down. How could you say it costs way more? My 360 cost me more once I had to buy everything that my PS3 came with. 99.99 for the wireless add-on, another 20.00 for the recharge kit. Oh and did I forget the money I spent on the failed HD-DVD add on?? Oh and even though I think XBL is better then sony's online experience, lets not forget you have to pay 50.00 a year (another microsoft add on).
I don't think anyone is debating whether the PS3 has better hardware than the 360 however it does not translate to better games. For a console machine games are my top priority and at this moment the PS3 comes 2nd in that list.

M

Mw`

Junior Audioholic
NPD numbers released....PS3 does 726k units in December while 360 does 1.44 mil and Wii breaks 2 mil. Not looking good! I've honestly started to consider ditching my PS3 for a stand alone BR player these days, but I'm holding off a little longer until they perform better. I think as I've gotten older I've slowly become more of a "casual gamer" (no, I don't own a wii and likely never will) in the fact that I'd rather play games with my friends and chat it up instead of grinding out a single player game by myself. The fact that the PS3 failed to bundle a mic and has yet to fully standardize the social aspect of their games is still puzzling to me, and I have no interest in where Home is going at this point. Add to that the fact that pretty much everyone outside of Nintendo is at the point where they HAVE to go multi-platform in order to be successful these days means that I probably won't miss out on too many exclusives.

Realize I'm not strapped for cash here, I'm just getting to the point where I want to cut down on some of the unnecessary clutter too - 3 controllers, 6-8 games, cat cable, etc.

C

ChilliPalmer

Audiophyte
Perhaps an excellent marketing ploy by Microsoft, but after buying my 360 Elite, wireless, add on, xbl membership hd ad on, I spent the same as I did on my 60GB ps3. So yes it has a lower intro price, but that adds up quickly. For the ps3 its a sort of wave effect. Sony needs the momentum of selling units to continue expensive development of exclusive games. These exclusive games then lead to the sale of more units, and so on. Right now Sony is still selling a good number of ps2s and they are using money from ps2 sales to try to boost the ps3. While sales were down last month, they have been rising pretty well. We will see in the next two years if ps3s increasing library can help sony catch up with microsoft. Im not going to sit here and debate about exclusive games, etc. Right now, my 360 is gathering alot of dust. The reasons I bought it: bioshock (now on ps3), halo, and gow. Something that hurts 360 is that almost every "exclusive" for 360 is also released on the pc and usually for cheaper, since they are designed on the same engine. Im spending more time playing my ps3 because of the wider variety of games, like LittleBigPlanet, MGS, Heavy Rain, etc. as opposed to 360s usually superior but limited FPS. Anyways the upcoming exclusives on ps3 to really watch for and may determine its success are Warhawk 2 (many dont know about warhawk but its the second fastest selling exclusive for ps3 besides resistance), resistance 3, killzone 2, white knight, new kindgom of hearts, new ratchet and clank, heavy rain, alot of rumors of new mgs, all but confirmed new twisted metal, littlebigplanet 2, MAG, gran turismo. On the other hand, it seems 360s exclusives are lacking. It lost Bioshock 2, and most of its exclusives fall under the same FPS genre. Time will tell I guess. I think one months sales are being read into too much.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Smart people bought a Wii, and spent the extra 300 dollars on beer.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Smart people bought a Wii, and spent the extra 300 dollars on beer.
What about all the peripherals you need to buy for the system to play the games. Getting drunk and playing Wii sports gets old after a while;).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The real reason the xbox 360 has a better gaming library.

It is easier to program for. Microsoft's best software engineers have built tools to make making software uber easy. Visual Studio is hands down the best developer tool ever conceived. I have used compilers from all sorts of different companies, but Visual studio makes building software so easy you feel like you are cheating. The xbox 360 is essentially a gaming PC. So translating from a computer team to an xbox 360 team is a synch. Plus everyone knows Microsoft smokes everyone else on development tools. They have no competition in my mind in this area. And certainly not that I have seen.

Software is the reason Windows won vs Mac and continues to keep it ahead of Linux. Even though Linus is a far more solid, secure and stable operating system(exception linspire) Windows has all the software. Everyone makes software for it. They don't need exclusive licenses because everyone makes stuff for them already.

If it takes me 80 percent of the cost to make a xbox 360 game as it does a ps3 game. And since my company has made windows games it takes far less training time and it will be easy to port it over to the PC too. Then what system will I make a game for?

That all being said I own a PS3, but I do wish I could play Gears of War 2. I loved the first one. However Resistance 1 was much longer and so it was fairly even with Gears 1. (advantage of Blu-ray)

Last edited:
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It is easier to program for. Microsoft's best software engineers have built tools to make making software uber easy. Visual Studio is hands down the best developer tool ever conceived. I have used compilers from all sorts of different companies, but Visual studio makes building software so easy you feel like you are cheating. The xbox 360 is essentially a gaming PC. So translating from a computer team to an xbox 360 team is a synch. Plus everyone knows Microsoft smokes everyone else on development tools. They have no competition in my mind in this area. And certainly not that I have seen.
Well said and I completely agree.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis