Usher Audio Be-718 Tiny Dancer Speaker Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you are on the market for a dynamic pair of compact speakers with a high Spouse Acceptance Factor (SAF), dynamic audio performance on par with speakers twice their price, and an ability to create a sound image nearly on par with full sized speakers, than I urge you to consider the Usher Audio Be-718 Tiny Dancer speakers seriously. They are absolutely gorgeous, with the piano gloss center section and beautiful wood side panels making them right at home in a medium sized den with a tube amplifier softening that hard edge while sipping a 20 year old brandy. The Be-718 Tiny Dancer’s are not without peer, as there are other bookshelves, and even some floor standing speakers that perform admirably at or near this price point, but the combination of sturdy construction, excellent engineering, innovative tweeter design and implementation, and performance per dollar spent put these substantial sound boxes into the “if this is your price range, put these on your short list of speakers to audition” checkbox. It was truly my pleasure to review these highly capable pair of speakers with décor friendly appeal, and musicality nearly beyond reproach.

Discuss " Usher Audio Be-718 Tiny Dancer Speaker Review" here. Read the article.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If you are on the market for a dynamic pair of compact speakers with a high Spouse Acceptance Factor (SAF), dynamic audio performance on par with speakers twice their price, and an ability to create a sound image nearly on par with full sized speakers, than I urge you to consider the Usher Audio Be-718 Tiny Dancer speakers seriously. They are absolutely gorgeous, with the piano gloss center section and beautiful wood side panels making them right at home in a medium sized den with a tube amplifier softening that hard edge while sipping a 20 year old brandy. The Be-718 Tiny Dancer’s are not without peer, as there are other bookshelves, and even some floor standing speakers that perform admirably at or near this price point, but the combination of sturdy construction, excellent engineering, innovative tweeter design and implementation, and performance per dollar spent put these substantial sound boxes into the “if this is your price range, put these on your short list of speakers to audition” checkbox. It was truly my pleasure to review these highly capable pair of speakers with décor friendly appeal, and musicality nearly beyond reproach.

When are you bringing them down for us to hear? :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I also used this as my break-in song to flex the woofer for about 8 hours and truly let the surrounds settle in.
Is Audioholics advocating a speaker break-in period now?

From the article "Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction? "Required break in time for the common spider-diaphragm-surround is typically on the order of 10s of seconds and is a one-off proposition, not requiring repetition."

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

From the article "Speaker Break In: Fact or Fiction? "Required break in time for the common spider-diaphragm-surround is typically on the order of 10s of seconds and is a one-off proposition, not requiring repetition."
oh oh!! Someone just got an "F" on their report card. :eek:

Seriouslly, why does Audioholics mention this 8 hour breakin as Dave has pointed out.

If a manufacturer recommends it (within reason) we often capitulate so they don't have any excuse on our results...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I don't censor our reviewers comments in their reviews so NO Audioholics isn't advocating it, but the particular reviewer is I suppose. :rolleyes:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't censor our reviewers comments in their reviews so NO Audioholics isn't advocating it, but the particular reviewer is I suppose. :rolleyes:
*LOL* I'm sorry but I find this situation rather amusing. Thanks guys!! It wasa much need chuckle. :)

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I have to wonder just how good a $2700 speaker can really sound. When do the laws of physics trump price? I bet that this speaker sounds fantastic, but is it really better than a 800 to 1000 dollar system. help me out here fellas, am I missing the point?

Last edited:
S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I have to wonder just how good a $2700 speaker can really sound. When do the laws of physics trump price? I bet that this speaker sounds fantastic, but is it really better than a 800 to 1000 dollar system. help me out here fellas, am I missing the point?
What kind of systems have you heard? Have you found that $800-$1000 systems sound better than ones that are $300-$500?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
WmAx has the answer to that question.:D Most speakers under $10,000 have cabinet resonance issues, so better speakers are available at higher prices, but that doesn't mean a higher priced speaker system is better in every case. But you can build an excellent speaker system that would compete with $10,000 and up speaker systems spending much less than that if you have the time, know-how, and craftsmanship skills.:)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
WmAx has the answer to that question.:D Most speakers under $10,000 have cabinet resonance issues, so better speakers are available at higher prices, but that doesn't mean a higher priced speaker system is better in every case. But you can build an excellent speaker system that would compete with $10,000 and up speaker systems spending much less than that if you have the time, know-how, and craftsmanship skills.:)
I would like to point out that price does not dictate performance, entirely. For example the approximatly $800 a pair Ascend Sierra 1 speakers are extremely linear and have a relatively low cabinet resonance due to build material and design. Mixed with stereo subwoofers and a quality DCX you would have a superb system. Measurements on the Sierra 1can be found here.

If I were ever in the market to buy a commercial speaker, which I doubt I ever will do again. There are very few speakers I would even consider with the front runner easily being the MBL 111B as I am unaware of any commercial speaker to match its performance at any price. If I did not have the proper room for an omni-polar system then I would likely purchase the B&W 802Ds as they are a bargain for the low price of $12,000 considering the quality of performance attained. As you can see these speakers are not cheap or even close which is why I chose the DIY route.

In the end the point of diminishing returns is different for everyone, but there are perceivable sonic differences between speakers all over the price spectrum and yes with the proper know-how and ability DIY is a far less expensive option, but this requires more effort than many realize to design and build an extremely high end system which can easily trounce those costing 10k+.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
dynamic audio performance on par with speakers twice their price
I've been thinking about this line. Usually, I consider this a cheap advertising slogan used by manufacturers to hawk their products. In this case, I dismiss it as self-aggrandizement. But when I read it by an Audioholics reviewer, I'd like to know which $5,600 speakers perform like the $2,800 Ushers. I mean, if the reviewer is going to claim that they are on par with a speaker twice the price, they must have a particular speaker in mind that they are comparing to. Otherwise, it's just a load of nonsense. You can't compare the Ushers to "imaginary" speakers that you "imagine" would be twice the price.

"Pursuing the Truth in Audio and Video. Let our rigorous testing and reviews be your guidelines to A/V equipment—not marketing slogans." So which $5K+ speakers are we talking about that are comparable to the Ushers?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have totally fallen in love with the sound of my Mirage Omni 150s. Since I like change for its own sake, I will eventually get something else, but these will be my mains for a long time. They cost me $140. Given this, there is precisely zero possibility that I could ever justify spending $2700 on bookshelf speakers.:eek:

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
So which $5K+ speakers are we talking about that are comparable to the Ushers?
That's easy... any B&W or Linn speaker at that price point would be easily surpassed by the Ushers...

The only thing that I don't understand is why Usher Audio had to almost duplicate the appearance of the Sonus Faber Concertino? -when the Concertino cost like $1,000-

I don't know, i think $2,700 is a lot for a bookshelf speaker...

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That's easy... any B&W or Linn speaker at that price point would be easily surpassed by the Ushers...

The only thing that I don't understand is why Usher Audio had to almost duplicate the appearance of the Sonus Faber Concertino? -when the Concertino cost like $1,000-

I don't know, i think $2,700 is a lot for a bookshelf speaker...
The Concertinos are beautiful looking speakers IMO.:) Not a bad choice in appearance if you ask me, even if they do cost more.:)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audioholics style speaker reviews

I also found the statement "souds as good as speakers twice the price" disconcerting. A comparison to bookshelf or full range speakers in the same or lower price range would have been more helpfull. If your are paying >$5k for a pair of 2 way bookshelf speakers than you are likely paying for some unique or exotic cabinet materials or finish vs. the sound quality of the speakers and/or build quality of the drivers.

Another thing the reviewer noted was his solid conductor Audioquest speaker cables. I am prety sure this falls into the Audioholics voodoo category.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Another thing the reviewer noted was his solid conductor Audioquest speaker cables. I am prety sure this falls into the Audioholics voodoo category.
So long as the cables aren't coloring the the sound I don't see the problem.

S

spacedteddybear

Audioholic Intern
The Be-718 is definately out of my price range, though the X-718 looks pretty nice.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
The Be-718 is definately out of my price range, though the X-718 looks pretty nice.
is that price SRP? is there a discount? the price seems mighty steep for a brand i've never heard of before audioholics (this thread actually)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis