My Windows 7 install facepalm

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
So I got windows 7 today and was pretty excited to install it. I've heard that it installs very quickly and was a little frustrated when some of the install screens decided to hang for a few minutes and the DVD would stop spinning in the tray randomly. However I eventually decided to be patient and the install screen came up, I formatted my hard drives and proceeded to install 7. This is where it all fell apart.

After installing, windows 7 will restart a few times before you get to your welcome screen. So it reboots....and nothing....the screen is blank. So I thought I may have something messed because I didn't format my hard drive that I keep all my media on. So I went back in, formatted it, and tried to install windows again. I got to the same point and the same thing....all black screen.

So after a long string of profanity, and asking God when he hated me so much, I decided to check the internet to see if anyone was having this problem as well. First link after entering the text "Black screen when installing windows 7" had my answer. And the solution you ask? Well it seems windows 7 has NO ****ing clue what your main monitor is and just assigns it as your secondary monitor. I have my TV connected to my computer using the other DVI output from my video card. So after literally 3 hours of trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any picture all I had to do was turn my TV on and set it to the correct input. There was my welcome screen.....in all of it's blue glory. I couldn't help but be happy the problem was solved, but in the back of my mind I couldn't help but thinking what jackass would program it's video detection like that.

How sadistic do you have to be to default the monitor selection to your secondary monitor if you have two plugged in?

Anyways, Windows 7 is as good as everyone says it is. It's x86 detection is spot on, and multi tasking on this thing is a breeze. If you plan on installing it, I suggest you only have one monitor plugged in though.

Matt34

Matt34

...And don't forget you have to buy a copy for each of you computers. So if ÿou have four computers in your house be prepared to shell out almost 500 dollars for an operating system.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Isn't that the case with any OS upgrade that has occured since the beginning of the PC? I've yet to see a free OS with all the capabilities granted by Windows, even though I love my Linux distros. :)

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
...And don't forget you have to buy a copy for each of you computers. So if ÿou have four computers in your house be prepared to shell out almost 500 dollars for an operating system.
Or you could have bought the family 3 pack for ~$135 at Costco. :p

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
Actually, I call Microsoft all the time and tell them I bought the disk and would like to install it on a 2nd computer, and usually they just give me the code to re-use it and tell me not to worry about it. But any more than 2 you can buy anothere pass-key from them for a smaller amount of money than buying 3 or 4 copies.

Matt34

Matt34

Actually, I call Microsoft all the time and tell them I bought the disk and would like to install it on a 2nd computer, and usually they just give me the code to re-use it and tell me not to worry about it. But any more than 2 you can buy anothere pass-key from them for a smaller amount of money than buying 3 or 4 copies.
Do you have to call them to do a pass-key purchase or can you do it online?

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I got an OEM version through my brothers work, it was 20 bucks. :)

I'm pretty shocked on how feature rich this OS is. Just browsing through all of the stuff in the control panel is pretty neat.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
This is why I only plug the essential devices into the PC when doing a fresh install. I even go so far as to unplug any extra drives that are not affiliated with the boot drive as I have seen Windows throw the mbr on the non boot drives and tag them as system critical and such....

Matt34

Matt34

I got an OEM version through my brothers work, it was 20 bucks. :)

I'm pretty shocked on how feature rich this OS is. Just browsing through all of the stuff in the control panel is pretty neat.

Yeah, I like it as well, I just think it's pretty ridiculous that if I own more than one computer (who doesn't these days?) that I have to re-purchase the same software to have it on both computers.

Nemo128,

I think your right, I got XP and Office 03 mixed up because I know you could put office on more than one computer.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I've heard of it but I don't see that edition on the Microsoft page?
They only made some limited number of them available at launch and when they sold out that was it. That's probably why you don't see it listed.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
This is why I only plug the essential devices into the PC when doing a fresh install. I even go so far as to unplug any extra drives that are not affiliated with the boot drive as I have seen Windows throw the mbr on the non boot drives and tag them as system critical and such....
Yeah, I disconnect all my drives but the boot when installing a new os, but I'm really paranoid I'm going to format my media drives.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I think microsoft is happy as long as you bought the disc, or a computer that came with the disk. So usually you just call them and they give you the passcode to reinstall it on another computer willingly and free. Same with Adobe. Every time I install Photoshop cs3 on another computer, I just call and get another passcode and tell them it's on one of my other computers already. They'll usualyl just want you to verify the copy you DO own. That's all. But if you do it on more than 2 computers you'll most likely be asked to buy additional passcodes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis