My Sherbourn PA 7-350 experience/review.

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
This Thursday, I received my new Sherbourn PA 7-350. I unboxed it, and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the unit.

I proceeded to hook it up to my 7 Mission 765I speakers four of which have great Heils replacing the dome tweeters, all with Supercaps replacing the old original crossover capacitors.. They sound absolutely fantastic. I used the unbalanced inputs on the amp.

At first, the sound I heard seemed to be clean, with lots of reserve power, but I soon realized there was something missing from it. I soon realized, that it was mid-bass.. It was missing from every CD I played. Great bass, great treble, but thin mid-range and mid-bass. I then hooked back up my Adcom 5802 to the fronts to compare. Up and back I went, from one amp to the other, and the difference was astounding. My old Adcom was alive and full,, as was the McIntosh, while the Sherbourn sounded, well,like I said, lacking of key elements. I played rock, classical, R&B, you name it, at all volumes, and they all sounded dissatisfying as previously described. No tone adjustments fixed the problem. I tried everything.

My friend brought over his Definitive Technologies BP7000SC speakers, which we hooked up to the fronts, and we observed the same thin mid-range, and lack of mid-bass..

I am currently back to my old setup, which is the Outlaw 990 preamp, (Also tried a Mcintosh Preamp with similar results) Adcom 5802 in the front, Macintosh MC2200 for the surrounds, and an Adcom 545 for the rear. I am no audio snob, but I could easily hear something wasn't right. I just wanted one amp, with the same gains to even out my system. It wasn't that my current setup sounded bad, but I was always fiddling with the gains at different volumes. The price of having three different amps.

You know, I really had high hopes for this amp, after reading the specs and reading two reviews on this amp, and the preview, which was from Audiholics site.. I was impossible to find anyone who owned it that had commented on it. I took a chance, and this is my reward. I am heartbroken, so to speak. I just don't understand the two 'professional reviews' praising this amp as they did. Is it me?

I guess I'll be sending it back. Not what I expected to have to do.. This sucks..:(

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have a pic of it unboxed near your system, I am looking for a size comparison...

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
It's back in the box. It's not overly large.. 17” wide x 9.56” high 19.How do I post a picture?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, thanks,did you measure it I was told its larger than the specs on the website, the weight was correct but dimensions of the unit are not... can you take a picture of the box next to a coke can or something so I can get an idea? Easy to post a picture, just save it to your computer and then hit the little picture next to the globes above the text box, simple.. Or PM me for my email address and just email it to me, Im sure no one else wants to see the box anyway..
Maybe it is a defective unit you got?

Last edited:
B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
If it's defective, then why would all the channels sound the same? Honestly, I had a hard time believing my own impressions. The difference however is significant..
Easy to post a picture, just save it to your computer and then hit the little picture next to the globes above the text box, simple.. Or PM me for my email address and just email it to me, Im sure no one else wants to see the box anyway..
I cannot find a way to upload the pictures without a url.. I will email you if you'd, like..

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
While I believe that amps do sound different, within SS amp it should be subtle.
Are you plugged directly into the wall?

Is is possible that you are getting much more low bass and that is changing th sound you are used to?
Are you running in a pure direct mode?

- Rich

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
While I believe that amps do sound different, within SS amp it should be subtle.
Are you plugged directly into the wall?

Is is possible that you are getting much more low bass and that is changing th sound you are used to?
Are you running in a pure direct mode?

- Rich
Hi Rich

The difference should be subtle. I agree. But it's not. I used the same preamp, and the sound is completely different. I usually use the adcom to drive the fronts. That is about 450 watts into four ohms. Very clean and very powerful amp IMHO. I've always preferred it over my MC2200.
When I first hooked up and started to listen to the Sherbourn, I though there was a phase problem or something. My friend who is a real audiholic agreed there was a lack of mid bass. I also noticed I had to turn up my preamplifier about 25 percent more to get the same volume, but I realize the input sensitivity effects that.

The music sounded lifeless. That's the only way I can describe it. Even his DEF TECHS, which are bright sounded flat. I tried stereo direct as well. The McIntosh, which is much more laid back then the Adcom sounded much more detailed and alive. Maybe there is something wrong with the amp, but there is a very low noise floor, no humming, and bass and treble are ample. I tried it with and without my line conditioner. It made no difference.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The music sounded lifeless. That's the only way I can describe it. Even his DEF TECHS, which are bright sounded flat.
Oh, now, c'mon, man. I never thought my BP7000SC sounded bright when I owned them. Take that back! :mad: :D

No, seriously, I loved those BP7000SC! :)

I also think there is something wrong w/ the new amp.

Although I would personally stick to ATI (and all their cousins like Lexicon, ML, Cary, Theta), Parasound, Adcom, McIntosh, Rotel, Bryston, etc, I think the Sherbourn should sound just as good.

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
What could be wrong with a new amp that causes what I am experiencing?? I'd be willing to try another one if I could, but it might be a characteristic of this amp.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I would have to expect some sort of product defect to account for some of the problems you're having.

I also noticed I had to turn up my preamplifier about 25 percent more to get the same volume, but I realize the input sensitivity effects that.
This is odd; the PA 7-350 has an above average voltage gain rated at 32dB and was measured by HTM to be 34.7dB w/ either the RCA inputs or the XLRs. The Adcom you mentioned OTOH is the standard 29dB. FR is also razor flat, and while that can vary some with the load depending on the amplifier, I'd not expect it to be a problem here. In any case, I'd be contacting Sherbourn to let them know of your dissatisfaction.

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
That's the plan. They seem very nice at Sherbourn. I was going to wait until after I spoke to them before posting this review, but I was little heated when I wrote it. Since there absolutely nobody, that had posted online about their ownership of the amp, I let it rip. Still, I find it odd that this amp has been around for while, yet I am the first one to write about my experience with it, that actually owns one..

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That is exactly why I think you just happened to get a bad unit, something is wrong, I heard the 5-200 and it sounded just like the emotiva stuff, very good...

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What could be wrong with a new amp that causes what I am experiencing?? I'd be willing to try another one if I could, but it might be a characteristic of this amp.
I would not be willing to try another one. :D

Once is good enough for me.

Get something else. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with acu on this, I wouldn't try another either, BUT- since you have a system rite now, why not send it back, and have them test it, if it is the amp, grab another one have them send a new one...

I can not think of anything else in the price range that will give you 350 per channel 7 times.... An XPR5 with an XPR2 would be nice, that's 1200 watts for your front l and r, then 400 for center and surrounds... But will cost $3K and wont cure your multi amp issue... I'm not an Outlaw fan, but they have a 7x300 for $3500 {I would honestly MUCH rather have the 2 emo's for less money}...

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
I agree with acu on this, I wouldn't try another either, BUT- since you have a system rite now, why not send it back, and have them test it, if it is the amp, grab another one have them send a new one...

I can not think of anything else in the price range that will give you 350 per channel 7 times.... An XPR5 with an XPR2 would be nice, that's 1200 watts for your front l and r, then 400 for center and surrounds... But will cost $3K and wont cure your multi amp issue... I'm not an Outlaw fan, but they have a 7x300 for $3500 {I would honestly MUCH rather have the 2 emo's for less money}...

That is the plan. I am sending it back today, for a refund, minus the shipping. I may just stick to what I have.. At least I like how it sounds, and there are no surprises.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

The Adcom 7807 actually delivers more power at eight and 4 ohms and is right in that $2kish price range.

MSRP is about where the Outlaw is, but with a little looking can be had for much less.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is the plan. I am sending it back today, for a refund, minus the shipping. I may just stick to what I have.. At least I like how it sounds, and there are no surprises.
Probably a blessing in disguise. Keep what you have. Save the money. :D

B

BroadwayAuto

Audiophyte
I would consider the Adcom 7807. I like my 5802 . Sherbourn said they will thoroughly check out the amp and let me know what the found. Perhaps there is a problem with it. We shall see.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis