My Onkyo SR805 needs to be upgraded :( NEED HELP

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
So with the addition of a Panasonic BDT300 3D bluray player and the fact the xbox is getting more use since I bought a kinect; I now do not have enough HDMI inputs :(

I have three inputs and 5 devices that I am using.

My main question is about 3D and HDMI 1.4. I have watched 3D bluray movies from the BDT300 without any issues on my Onkyo TX805 with 1.3a HDMI. Should I spring for a HDMI 1.4 receiver?

There are some really good deals on the Onkyo 1007, but again no HDMI 1.4. I really don't want to get a 708 or 808 since Onkyo stripped those models of all the really good audio stuff.

Anyone out there that can recommend some HDMI 1.4 receivers with amp sections as good as my 805 in the $600-700 range???

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Or you could connect your cable/sat box with component & sdpif cables (if you don't have them, get them from monoprice for under $15 for both) and use $600-700 for 2nd subwoofer or sub upgrade...

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Or you could connect your cable/sat box with component & sdpif cables (if you don't have them, get them from monoprice for under $15 for both) and use $600-700 for 2nd subwoofer or sub upgrade...
By sdpif cable you mean use coaxial or optical out from the cable box right? I have some component cables, just didn't know the video/audio quality would be the same as HDMI.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
Switched cable box to component and optical audio. All is good. Probably just going to move my PS3 into my office/game room. Leaves me with just enough HDMI inputs :)

If I have to have more in the future I will use a switch I guess. Cheers and thanks for the help.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Switched cable box to component and optical audio. All is good. Probably just going to move my PS3 into my office/game room. Leaves me with just enough HDMI inputs :)

If I have to have more in the future I will use a switch I guess. Cheers and thanks for the help.
If you ever need to ditch the 805 I would be glad to take it off your hands. I wouldn't even charge you for disposal. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
By sdpif cable you mean use coaxial or optical out from the cable box right? I have some component cables, just didn't know the video/audio quality would be the same as HDMI.
Yes, ether coax or optical - they both have same type of signal; And - Yes Quality will be same, since both cable & sat don't transmit real 1080p anyways - 1080i which is what component cable can do (at-least until the analog "hole" get closed :( )
You could get the hdmi switch as lsiberian mentioned, but i don't think it'll be hard to make it seamless integration vs using component & spdif cables

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
My wife read the responses and I told her I got the audioholics OK to get a new sub. Then I promptly went to the SVS and HSU websites to do some looking :D

The awesome thing is, I went to the SVS PC12-NSD DSP webpage and the wife goes, "I like that one :eek:" All the approval I need to make a purchase, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My wife read the responses and I told her I got the audioholics OK to get a new sub. Then I promptly went to the SVS and HSU websites to do some looking :D

The awesome thing is, I went to the SVS PC12-NSD DSP webpage and the wife goes, "I like that one :eek:" All the approval I need to make a purchase, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
LOL, Congrats... Good choice.
Btw: wait till it shows up at your doorstep and your better half sees the size of this monster :D

Dims: 16" diameter, 35" tall, 59lbs.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
+1 to using component/SPDIF. Run component video directly from sources to the display itself, completely bypassing the receiver. Now, you should more easily be able to calibrate the display to each source.

The only reason to run HDMI thru the receiver first, outside of convenience's sake, is to access lossless audio. Most sources listed here do not have this, so don't. As for the convenience, it may not even matter anyways, if you compared one click on the TV remote to one click on the receiver remote. If a universal remote, a moot point to begin with.

Speaking of convenience, HDMI switchers will have remotes, and I would prefer that they have discrete codes per input, so you don't have to toggle. That said, it's really hard to beat Monoprice for value.

However, if you go the component video route, which is the one I concur with, you probably don't need the switcher anymore.

Regarding HDMI 1.4, don't worry about it, the only thing it will get you is the bandwidth to send both* 3D video and audio to the receiver. But since all of these 3D players have dual HDMI outputs so as not to immediately supercede 1.3 receivers, simply use that feature. The extra HDMI cable from Monoprice will cost you only a small handful of bucks.

Z

ZeGhostbear

Junior Audioholic

Why didn't you order the SVS PC13-Ultra DSP? Looks the same ;)

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Anyone out there that can recommend some HDMI 1.4 receivers with amp sections as good as my 805 in the $600-700 range???
Seems like this question has been avoided:D

Just curious; What is a good guess at an answer; 2 or 3X what the OP estimated?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems like this question has been avoided:D
Just curious; What is a good guess at an answer; 2 or 3X what the OP estimated?
Sarcasm is strong with this one....

OP had specific issue - No enough HDMI Inputs. Question was to find cost X avr to address the issue. Several AHer's, including me suggested alternative solution for less than 1/20 of X cost of OP estimated. Result - OP is happy with alternative solution and saved tons of money...

sptrout - Your sarcasm is irrelevant and not funny.. You need to adjust your attitude and listen more than talk smack around here...

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Sarcasm is strong with this one....

OP had specific issue - No enough HDMI Inputs. Question was to find cost X avr to address the issue. Several AHer's, including me suggested alternative solution for less than 1/20 of X cost of OP estimated. Result - OP is happy with alternative solution and saved tons of money...

sptrout - Your sarcasm is irrelevant and not funny.. You need to adjust your attitude and listen more than talk smack around here...
Sorry, no sarcasm intended at all. I was really just curious what folks thought it would take in $$ to buy a new AVR equal to an 805. I noticed this question when the OP first posted his questions and was waiting to see what people thought and then the responses went in other directions.

I NEVER use sarcasm or talk smack here or any of the many other boards I am a member of (at least not intentionaly). Again, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
I would be curious as to people opinions about what current gen AVR's are equivalent to the 805 as far as the amp section goes?

I think the new HDMI 1.4 standard took some of the AVR companies by surprise and they rushed some of their products out the door. I have loved my 805, but Onkyo keeps taking all the high end features out of its mid-range AVR offerings :mad:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I loved the features/price of 805 and I decided to get it as well and I don't think I need more performance or features anytime soon.

Speaking of modern equivalent of 805 with high value & performance:
TX-SR808 still shows a lot of potential, but not anymore the rebel which 805 was, however right now Yamaha A1000 could be better choice in same price range. Check out for Audioholics preview for more details:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-a1000-aventage

To get even more bang for your buck you could checkout refub hi-end AVRs
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR3007/Onkyo/TX-NR3007-THX-Ultra2-Plus-140-watts-channel-9.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR1008/Onkyo/TX-NR1008-THX-Select2-Plus-Certified-3-D-Ready-9.2-Channel-Network-Receiver/1.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis