My new toy...now what do I do.

B

bmac

Audioholic
A Cinenova 7.

I bought one on Audiogon, and the freight line dropped it. I ordered this one new and ground freight wouldn't take it. I finally had to Go LTL, wow it really is a beast. I know I did it backwards, but I wanted something that could drive most speakers.

I'm not sure if I want a pre/pro, or just an analog output blu-ray. I've looked at the Integra DTC-9.8, and the Marantz AV8003.For Blu-ray I've had my eye on the Samsung BD-P-3600.

I think I can get an Integra cheap, but I also have access to the Marantz at a good price. What do you think?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think you did things backwards. At least you got an amp that will drive any speaker you choose. Usually, people are looking at cheap receivers before speakers and limit their speaker choices in the process. At least you haven't done that.

I think either of those pre/pros will do a great job as long as you need the features and connections that they offer. That's the hub of the entertainment system if you have more than one or two sources.

J

jamie2112

Banned
What you do is: Plug that sucker in and play it baby........:D I like the Marantz better myself.....

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Seems to me that you bought a 7 channel amp here correct?

Please do some research on the Marantz before you make a decision here.

Don't get me wrong here I auditioned the 8003 and the SQ is really nice, I enjoyed the time I spent with it.... but the 8003 has a serious drawback. If you want to apply any 7 channels matrix's it doesn't have the processing power to still keep Audessey engaged... So you can't have room correction and PLXII at the same time here....

Not sure I could live with that...

The Integra has a couple issues of its own as well, like the analog stage is not so hot sounding or it has heat issues or Onkyo's customer service is something to be desired, but would be a much better choice as far as processor with less restrictions.... if you don't do analog inputs its a non issue. And the 9.9 or Onkyo pro with the better Audessey XT would be my choice for bang for the buck...

Just a couple of things I have come across in my research for a dedicated preamp. Hope that helps a bit, just like to make sure people do their homework before investing..... :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Integra DTC-9.8 by a wide margin. It's got everything (plus much more) and sounds good too.

With the Marantz, you got a good sound for sure, but it is an incomplete pre/pro, with some flaws.

And the other nice thing is that you save few dollars with the Integra too (roughly $300+).

This is my preference and my honest opinion.

Bob

P.S. Warpdrv is absolutely right.

Last edited:
B

bmac

Audioholic
Seems to me that you bought a 7 channel amp here correct?

Please do some research on the Marantz before you make a decision here.

Don't get me wrong here I auditioned the 8003 and the SQ is really nice, I enjoyed the time I spent with it.... but the 8003 has a serious drawback. If you want to apply any 7 channels matrix's it doesn't have the processing power to still keep Audessey engaged... So you can't have room correction and PLXII at the same time here....

Not sure I could live with that...

The Integra has a couple issues of its own as well, like the analog stage is not so hot sounding or it has heat issues or Onkyo's customer service is something to be desired, but would be a much better choice as far as processor with less restrictions.... if you don't do analog inputs its a non issue. And the 9.9 or Onkyo pro with the better Audessey XT would be my choice for bang for the buck...

Just a couple of things I have come across in my research for a dedicated preamp. Hope that helps a bit, just like to make sure people do their homework before investing..... :)

Thanks for the info. I've done some reading, but hadn't seen that. This is why I ask the Hive mind. I am still very much in the research stage, I'm going to try and get a test drive on the Marantz.

Shop Onkyo has the PR SC886 reconditioned for $1200. I'm not sure on that one yet.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
This is why I ask the Hive mind.
I like that, Hive mind, hehe.

Shop Onkyo has the PR SC886 reconditioned for $1200. I'm not sure on that one yet.
The price is fair. I believe that might be the exact same price as the awaited Outlaw. Nope, just looked, the 997 will be $200 more, at least "estimated".
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/997.html

I would always wait for early adopter reports on the unit, no matter who it's made by.

The one thing I will definitely pay attn to when the Outlaw arrives is the Trinnov EQ implementation.

You are considering good units, and IMO you can't go "wrong". If you have considerably more cash on hand, I would look at what Warp just got, the Anthem D2v.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Just my opinion.

Best pre/pro under $1,000 = Onkyo PR-SC885P.

Best pre/pro for just over $1,000 = Onkyo PR-SC885P.

Best pre/pro under $2,000 = Onkyo PR-SC885P or 886P, or Integra DTC-9.8.

Best pre/pro for about $2,000 = Integra DHC-9.9.

Best pre/pro under $3,000 = Onkyo PR-SC886P and Integra DTC-9.8.

Best pre/pro for about $3,000 = Same as above.

$4,000 = Same.

Under $5,000 = Same.

Over $5,000 and less than $10,000 = Anthem Statement D2 AV/ARC1.

Same category, #2 spot = Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

Over $10,000 up to $41,500 or more = Are you kidding me, might is well stick with one of these two last ones.

But other good and expensive pre/pros = Krell Evolution 707 ($30,000 list).
.................................................... = Meridian 860 ($18,995 list).
.................................................... = Simaudio Moon CP-8 ($18,000 list).
.................................................... = Theta Digital Casablanca III HDMI 1.3 Edition ($ n/a).
.................................................... = Lexicon MC-12B HD EQ ($13,999 list).
.................................................... = Classe SSP-800 ($12,000 list).
.................................................... = Mark Levinson No40 ($30,000 list).
.................................................... = McIntosh MX136 ($9,500 list).

* The one that I am very interested in and that I'm following very closely is:
the TacT TCS mkIII/HDMI; price = to be negotiated, but list for $14,995.

!!!Caution!!! >>> This is only my personal opinion. Any reproduction, similarity or disparity with any of these names is purely coincidental.
And during the typing of this post, no animals were in no circumstances deliberately harm or subject to torture.
Well, maybe the cat get a little boot up here and there, but that's all. ;)

Now, please do proceed with care and love.

Bob

B

bmac

Audioholic
Thanks for all your help; I picked up an Onkyo PR-SC886. Shop Onkyo is having a sale, I paid $889.00 for it. I hooked it up late last night, and haven't had time to really play with it yet, but it sounds good. I've got some setting changes to make for PS3 lossless, and I need to get a RCA-Y for my two subs.

I'm not sure what Audyssey will do with mismatched subs. I can't see it as an issue; has anyone tried it?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Awesome Bill, I think you will love that unit....

I have heard very good things about it, and the price was certainly right - no question there... Its hard to look at other products right now with so many having significant drawbacks or downfalls...

Just so you know, you may be in the perfect position to try and get your hands on an Audessey Pro kit if you are out in the boonies... I know not alot of lobsters sell HiFi equipment up there... :D

I believe that someone made the case that they had no dealers available or contractors that could come to their home to do testing and setup, therefore they just sold that person the Pro-Kit and they could run it as many times as they want - Just like Anthems ARC for the D2v or 50v... :)

I'm not sure how much they cost or don't have alot of info on that, but I could dig a bit and get it for you....

BTW, I am running mismatched subs - 3x18" + 1x15" for reinforcement, and if they are phased properly you should be fine, measurements will tell you whats going on there.... I had my 15" out of phase, and it killed my bass output down low, but eventually I found the problem and fixed it.... easy fix too...

Again - congrats my friend

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure what Audyssey will do with mismatched subs. I can't see it as an issue; has anyone tried it?
The Onkyo will look at it as summed. The installer kit is supposed to be pretty expensive, but it's definitely an idea. Of course, you'll need a laptop as well.

As for the dual subs, I'd consider something like the SVS ASEQ1. It's designed to work in conjunction with existing Audyssey enabled receivers, and will individually calibrate your two subs, while getting them in phase as well. Then again, it'll cost almost as much as your pre/pro.

However, it would be more worth it to you, than to me, as you have dual subs, and I have a single.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've read the Marantz had HDMI qualms. Onkyo seems to have better handle on current technology and I'm sure the Onkyo is as transparent as necessary for any audiophile.

Edit: I should really read the whole thread before posting.:(

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Some invaluable readings.

Hi bmac,

Here's some very useful links for you.

1. Audyssey FAQ
* http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

2. Audyssey Setup Guide
* http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895

3. SVSound the Astounding AS-EQ1 SubEQ
* http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/svsound/16738-astounding-new-eq1-subeq-goes-sale.html

4. Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro Sound Equalizer
* http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=5

5. Audyssey SMS-1
* http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-915688.html

>>> Take your time reading, understanding & enjoying. :)

Bob

P.S. By the way, the Onkyo Pro PR-SC886P is one of the smartest decision that you could have made. :) Congratulations!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That and more. :D

* And perhaps getting rid of that silly Avatar?
Please don't judge the avatar, we don't want to make the old man with the gun have an anxiety attack now do we?:D

On a serious note "and more", what's that supposed to mean. Perhaps French Canadians are blunt and cryptic simultaneously.:confused:

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Please don't judge the avatar, we don't want to make the old man with the gun have an anxiety attack now do we?:D

On a serious note "and more", what's that supposed to mean. Perhaps French Canadians are blunt and cryptic simultaneously.:confused:
I think he should be concerned about copyright infingement since his moniker may cause psycological pain to those of us who actually like LOTR. Now every time I think of this movie dude clouds the brain...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned

I'm not saying anything, ur the guy with a gun. I'm just a fighting mad chicken that like spoofing Indiana Jones scenes :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Seth: "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

(I love that movie. :)).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think he should be concerned about copyright infingement since his moniker may cause psycological pain to those of us who actually like LOTR. Now every time I think of this movie dude clouds the brain...
I have been thinking of changing my login name to Monster

__________________________________________________________________USER HAS BEEN BANNED AND SUED

Last edited by a moderator:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I have been thinking of changing my login name to Monster

__________________________________________________________________USER HAS BEEN BANNED AND SUED

There you go Seth=L!!!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis