F

fred1942

Audioholic Intern
A while back I asked for advice on some bookshelf speakers for my bedroom. A few of you recommended Salk Song surrounds. I took your advice and ordered a pair. They were ordered early April and received them the first week in July. When I unpacked them and began to install, I noticed that one of the speakers was missing the tweeter cone. After unscrewing and removing the tweeter I discovered that all I had was the back plate of the tweeter hanging by some wires. I took pictures and sent them to Jim Salk who sent me a new tweeter. He claims that the FedEx must have dropped the box and the tweeter broke off and to remove the rest of the broken tweeter from the cabinet. However there are no broken tweeter parts in the cabinet. Jim claims it was impossible to send the speaker to me in that condition as all speakers are tested before boxed. The sad story is that it was shipped to me that way. The speakers sound good after I replaced the tweeter, but it was a hassle. Anyone else have problems with Salk quality control? I am wishing I had ordered Ascends.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Oh dear :(

Well this really could be a whole can o' worms, so I'll try to tread lightly.

There are a handful of somewhat popular companies - usually on the smaller side - that have absolutely rabid fans who will jump down the throat of anyone who says anything less than glowing praise of those companies or their products. I think it's a bit weird, personally. I don't quite know how people get that emotionally invested in a company when they aren't even sharing in any of the revenue :p

But yeah, I've had a - I wouldn't say bad experience, and it was nothing like your missing tweeter - but let's say, "less than entirely pleasant" experience with Salk Sound before. Let's just say that there's a difference in the tone of communcations when you're buying vs. when you're returning and leave it at that as far as my public reply ;)

This is a very tough topic to discuss publicly. A lot of fans will say that anyone who is less than thrilled is just spouting "sour grapes", or is trying to damage the company, or only represents one of an extremely few who is less than over the moon. Over a long enough period of time though, I'd say that the very best companies do tend to rise to the top, but only if they remain consistent in both their products and service.

So instead of going on the negative side, I will simply say that Ascend is a company that has risen to the top in my experience. The gang that is currently running SVSound has risen to the top. That doesn't mean there aren't products out there that are just as good - maybe even better. But just in terms of an overall buying experience, service experience, return or repair experience, and the quality of the products themselves, I've found those two companies to be particularly pleasant and enjoyable no matter what the situation. I'll probably get screamed at for it, but Salk and Epik are two companies that I think make very good products, but could improve when it comes to their service, and the tone of their communications when you're doing something other than buying from them ;) And just so people don't think I'm picking on them or that I'm not willing to change my opinion if and when they improve on those fronts, I used to feel the same way about SVS a number of years back when different people were in charge. Great products, very helpful when you're buying, but prone to delays, faulty units and a much less pleasant tone of communcations when you come to them with a problem. SVSound totally turned it around, so maybe Salk and Epik can too :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am also aware of an incident of poor customer service involving Salk. I suggested the guy post about it, but he wasn't interested in dealing with the flack from others on the forum where he had been discussing getting the Salks.

PS - not this forum.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis