My New $1000 speakers (thats where you come in)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Just a warning for a new guy....don't say the word conservative in front of Isiberian.:D:D:D

Isiberian, if you see this, is the first letter in your name an I or L?
Yeah I might think your tightening up my speaker buget.:)

JK I don't disclose the letter that is used. It's part of what makes the name so unique. IOTW if I told you I'd have to have dealt with.:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Dude audio advice and life advice, you are awesome.
I knew there was good people on the internet. Just didnt know I had to look for them in audio forums.
does buying from craigslist or ebay allow you any sort of warranty? i know some speaker companies offer 10 years just not sure if they allow transfer of ownership.
I've made a lot of mistakes and had to learn the hard way. I don't want you to have to learn the hard way. The difference between wealth and poverty at your income level is discipline and attitude. I also must urge you to find some charity to give 10 percent of your income too. Giving is one of the ways to increase wealth. It's weird, but it really works.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
I've made a lot of mistakes and had to learn the hard way. I don't want you to have to learn the hard way. The difference between wealth and poverty at your income level is discipline and attitude. I also must urge you to find some charity to give 10 percent of your income too. Giving is one of the ways to increase wealth. It's weird, but it really works.
lsiberian may have graduated 1 year ago. I graduated 36 yrs. ago and I'm here to tell you he's right on the money. (pun intended) I went back to my teens and added up all the money I've made and if I would have saved just 10% I would have a few million in the bank now. Unfortunately, I didn't listen back then. I've plenty of friends who did and it works.

Spend $900 instead of $1,000 and you'll have some great speakers and be on your way to millions.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
J

just listening

Audioholic
From what I've experienced this is what you'll get:

Paradigm Monitor 7 v6: The widest soundstage and biggest sound. A super efficient pair, a SET amp could make them sing. Downside is that the cabinets are vinyl, though the new shape is like the Polk RTi.

Polk RTiA9: I don't care for the sound, pleasant, but no depth. The previous RTi8's IMHO had more richness.

Aperion 5T: Best cabinet of the three, more British in sound, but require more amp to get them to sing than the others. If you already have a sub, I'd suggest the 4T, those little guys are dynamite.

AV123 RS450's: Terrific mini-tower, the Vifa tweeter is used to it's fullest capability. Just make sure to get the Big Foot stands and only buy if in-stock.

Axiom: I was very disappointed 4 years ago in an Axiom bookshelf. The fit and finish was a joke. I returned them and haven't looked back.

Of course, there is always used speakers. A great way to get more for your money. The only DIY company I'd go with is GR Research, run by Danny Richie. This guy is a guru in the industry, and you can get the entire kit with options. I've heard a pair of his bookshelves next to a pair of Madison's best and for my ears the GR's won easily.

Happy hunting

Z

ZeroAtlas

Audiophyte
definitely taking all this into consideration. My first job out of college is starting me off at 65K and I could see where much discipline is needed at this lower income. I have decided to hold off on buying the speakers and go to as many places in the area to listen to them. I'll make a budget and save a bit each month to correctly handle my money. You guys are awesome, definitely a lot of good ideas coming from this thread, if only more people would tell others about this next step in life, a lot of people would be hurting less right now. Cheers to all you audioholic/life trainers!

thisonekidmongo

thisonekidmongo

Audioholic Intern
My first job out of college is starting me off at 65K and I could see where much discipline is needed at this lower income.
Uh, maybe we just come from different backgrounds, but where on earth does a starting salary of 65K for your first job out of college qualify as a "lower income"? :confused: I realize this is a forum devoted to a pretty expensive hobby, but I know people who would literally kill to make that much money, especially right out of college. Just sayin'.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
All this coming from a guy who lives in an apartment?????;)
I just got out of college a year ago and I can tell you some things I suggest.

1. Don't get an unsecured credit card(certainly not more than one). Do get a secured one for credit building.

2. Invest. Right now the market is cheap and this is the time to buy. If it goes down more keep buying. Or even better get a pro to help you set everything up.

3. Also when you start buying stuff for real. Set aside the cost of the warranty in a seperate bank account. By doing this you will build your own insurance for things.

4. Try to buy a house ASAP. The market is very good for home buying. You will need to establish credit for this. Credit requires extreme discipline.

I suggest you spend this evenign setting up a budget.

http://www.daveramsey.com/the_truth_about/budgeting_3457.html.cfm

check out the site above for advice. This guy knows his stuff.

Matt34

Matt34

Uh, maybe we just come from different backgrounds, but where on earth does a starting salary of 65K for your first job out of college qualify as a "lower income"? :confused: I realize this is a forum devoted to a pretty expensive hobby, but I know people who would literally kill to make that much money, especially right out of college. Just sayin'.
Depends on where you live too. 65K in NYC or San Fransico won't get you far but in rural Iowa you'd be a redneck millionaire.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
All this coming from a guy who lives in an apartment?????;)
Well there is a reason I still live in the apartment. :(

If I had done this right we'd be moving into a house this summer and getting that super tax credit.

thisonekidmongo

thisonekidmongo

Audioholic Intern
Depends on where you live too. 65K in NYC or San Fransico won't get you far but in rural Iowa you'd be a redneck millionaire.
Seeing as I work in midtown Manhattan, I guess you can consider me as not getting very far. ;)

Seriously, if anyone thinks 65K is low income, you should talk to any of my friends who are teachers or work in publishing.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Seeing as I work in midtown Manhattan, I guess you can consider me as not getting very far. ;)

Seriously, if anyone thinks 65K is low income, you should talk to any of my friends who are teachers or work in publishing.
My Fiancee is a teacher and makes more than me.:)

We are probably going to Manhattan for our honey moon though.
I can't wait to have great Pizza again. The closest we come is this Italian that lives in the area.

Z

ZeroAtlas

Audiophyte
I live in san diego. thats not a lot of money. plus i'll probably give 1/4th- 1/3rd to uncle sam.
update: i listened to the polk rti7s. the sound stage was very nice but the mids were a little dull. cant wait to listen to more.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I won't argue with any of the previous bits of advice - it's all good. But I can make an educated comment on a couple of the speakers on your list. I auditioned a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 V5s and a pair of PA RTiA7s in my rec room, side-by-side. The 9s are still there. Where I live, the Polks retailed for about 50% more than the 9s, but were on sale for a similar price. So, I compared them at home. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only way to conduct an accurate and fair comparison. The Polks are much more visually appealing, but for me, looks are at the bottom of the list of priorities when it comes to speaker shopping. I found the imaging and soundstaging to be superior in the 9s. Plus, they are far more sensitive and will not need much power to play music LOUDLY. Just my two cents...

J

just listening

Audioholic
Comparing a monitor to a floor stander isn't easy, as they a very different designs.

Paradigms have always been very efficient speakers. The Polk LSi series need quality power (don't confuse with quantity power) to make them sing. The problem when comparing is to get the volume the same for both speakers which means using a db meter. Then being very quick to properly adjust the volume to the proper level.

That being said, I'm not surprised you choose the Monitor 9's, though give the tweeter a good hundred hours to break in, and don't be surprised if you find the high frequencies to wear on you over long periods of listening.

Enjoy

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Comparing a monitor to a floor stander isn't easy, as they a very different designs.

Paradigms have always been very efficient speakers. The Polk LSi series need quality power (don't confuse with quantity power) to make them sing. The problem when comparing is to get the volume the same for both speakers which means using a db meter. Then being very quick to properly adjust the volume to the proper level.

That being said, I'm not surprised you choose the Monitor 9's, though give the tweeter a good hundred hours to break in, and don't be surprised if you find the high frequencies to wear on you over long periods of listening.

Enjoy
I understand, quite well, the problem of comparing speakers of vastly different sensitivities and the tendency of people to favour speakers that sound louder. So, when my wife and I compared them, we took turns. One sat in the listening position, eyes shut, while the other switched speakers back and forth. To take the differing sensitivities into account, each time we switched speakers, we changed the volume. Sometimes the PAs were played loudly, the M9s softly and vice versa. So, with each change we had no way of identifying the speaker because of the changing volume. We did this many times, in order to take sensitivity out of the equation. We didn't tell each other which one we favoured after each listen and just made a note, so that we could keep track.

And, just to clarify, we were testing RTiA7's, not LSi's. As for "breaking in the tweeters for a hundred hours", (I apologise for my bluntness) I believe that to be a pile of hooey. I think many other members of this forum would agree with me...

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

This might sound extreme, but I'll never again buy a new speaker if I can find the same thing used (from a seller with good feedback). Let someone else take the hit on MSRP!:cool: I bought my Monitor Audio Gold Ref 60's in fantastic condition in Rose Mahogany for about 1/3 the new MSRP and about 1/2 what most authorized dealers sell them at.

Don't get me wrong- there are some risks. You can get ripped off, they can be damaged in shipping, etc. And if you blow a driver there's no warranty. But IME speakers are pretty reliable and last if you take care of them. If I need service it can be had but overall I've had good luck.

ozmedia

ozmedia

Audioholic
TK-5CT's did come in black

thanks for the info I am really digging those too. And since audioholics is backing up EMP Im sure they are amazing at that price point. Definitely will be considered. On the upside I noticed the orginal RBH TK-5CT speakers were still out there for the same price. now if they only made them in black. My decor is uber minimalist and i like to stick to 2 colors black and white. Do You know the build quality of these speakers and how thick the enclosure is?
Very interesting.
grrr Decisions Decisions!!!
RBH TK5CT's were available in black and rosewood finishes. I say "WERE" because they are discontinued now but some dealers have them kicking around still, a great product and incredible value for money.
They are SIMILAR to but not clones of the EMP's, they use different driver materials.
EMP is a more affordable/entry level version of RBH for the most part.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis