My landlord lives below...

Whygee

Whygee

Enthusiast
I live in an apartment and my "landlord" happens to live just below. It's an old building so there isn't much "acoustic insulation".

What is the best way to enjoy movies without distrubing the neighbours? I've never received complaints or anythin, I'm just thinking ahead.

I've read all kinds of things like putting hockey pucks under the sub' stands.

Any of those tricks work?

Is the only good solution to lower the volume of my sub?

Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, none of those tricks really works. Bass goes through walls/floors period. Isolating the sub from the floor may help reduce direct transmission to the floor, but the sound will still make it through.

sleeper

sleeper

Audioholic Intern
The best audio component that I ever bought was my own, unattached house. :D

Of course there is one downside: mortgage payments. :mad:

One thing that I can recommend is to try listening to your stuff at hours when neighbours and landlords aren't there, if that's at all possible.

Good luck.

sleeper.

Kyle Lorenz

Kyle Lorenz

Junior Audioholic
All I can think of is placing the sub as close to you as possible (or maybe on your lap if worst comes to worst:p). Also, make sure you have your subwoofer in the "sweet spot" if you already don't. Meaning you are sitting where the sub seems to play the loudest. This can be done by putting your sub where your couch is and crawling on the floor listening where it's the loudest, then placing the sub where you just were on the floor.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Whygee

I used to have a landlord who would get queer and switch the electricity off LOL little git.

So what can be done (Clark Tactile) sub bass those things that look like diner plates may work to your advantage. Just attach them to the sofa chair what ever and enjoy a rumbling shaking feeling, I doubt your landlady will moan then.

LOL but if you take out her garbage she might let you play it loud and may party with you, catch my drift.:D

Landladies I like to rumble:D

http://www.clarksynthesis.com/

Last edited:
ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
sleeper said:
The best audio component that I ever bought was my own, unattached house. :D

Of course there is one downside: mortgage payments.
My ex and I waited far too long to get our first house. Sure, mortgage payments aren't fun, but they build equity. I now live near a big university and I'm in my second house, and many friends who are here doing grad work or postdoc work or who are professors on sabbatical rent. The way I look at it, it's OK to rent if you plan on being in the area temporarily, say about two years, maybe three max. Longer than that? Buy something--a house or a condo or a duplex. You get tax breaks and build equity. I know a couple people who bought houses for 0% down. I'm not used to that, and it'll take them a long time to start building real equity, but at least they own and get some tax benefits.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I learned my renting-is-often-throwing-money-down-the-drain lesson a few years too late and am happy to send the message on. :)

And I agree--having an unattached house is the best way to be able to play loud music or movies without offending neighbors. :p

Chris

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Jack Hammer said:
You might consider using a small, well made, 8" sub and "subsidizing" the low-end with something like this, Buttkicker LFE Kit - $349 at Amazon. I ordered one a few days back, but haven't recieved it yet.

There is a review for this system on the site. Some people get the Auro Bass Shaker setup and there is another people use, I forget the name. Search for LFE kit or "actuator", you will find reviews and info.

Good Luck

Jack
I copied this from a post I made in the looking for a subwoofer again thread earlier today.

You may want to consider it as an option. I ordered one of these, but haven't recieved it yet. So I can't yet say how well it works from personal experience. Others who have used these seemed fairly happy with them and it will allow you to feel the bass instead of only hearing it, hence you can lower the volume on your sub and still enjoy movies.

Jack

JimP

Enthusiast
I think your best bet is to get the sub as close to you as possible such as behind or to the side of your sofa/chairs

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Get a couple of Buttkicker LFE's. I got two of them and they are the real deal! Put one under the leg of your couch and the other under your other couch/chair. calibrate properly and your wont need your sub turned up that much. These things can make your eyes vibrate right along with the sound. It is amazing how they can change frequencies right along with the music/soundtrack/or whatever your listening to. The great thing is when you get up from the couch, you can not even tell they are doing anything.

http://www.rtheaters.com/

Ask for Roman...he is great to deal with and great customer service!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis