My first receiver, Pioneer or Onkyo?

A

audiobam

Audiophyte
Hello all!

Im new into this kind of separate audio gear.

So far I have always owned shelf all in one minisystems (Kenwood, Aiwa, Sony) so now I want to explore this world of separate components.

Im not looking for something great, just something that is entry level, better than shelf minisystems.

I must say that Im not hard to please as my minisystems allow me to enjoy my music.

But it is important to me that whatever I buy is good quality. Good quality understood as long lasting and durable gear. I don't want to worry about issues that this or that does not work or it is doing strange things or sending error messages. I want to enjoy music, not to be dealing with problems and issues and all that hassle. I rather sacrifice some audio quality if Im given reliability and durability.

I have narrowed to these two receivers:

PIONEER VSX531
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-531

ONKYO TXSR353
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR353&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

The good thing about the Pioneer is that it costs less. However, the bad thing is that I have read complains that Pioneer quality has dropped in recent years, which is a surprise as I have always considered Pioneer as long lasting audio systems.

About Onkyo, I don't know much about it, just heard that it has good reputation.

See, my minisystems have lasted at least 10 years so I want a receiver that lasts 10 years at the very least.

Im not really audiophile, Im much more of a music lover, I have about 1000 classical music CD and about 150 classical music vinyls which I don't listen to much, really.

Later I will buy speakers, I was considering these shelf speakers from Yamaha.

YAMAHA NSBP182

But if you have some recommendation about speakers that go well with classical music Im more than happy and grateful to read and learn from you.

Thanks all of you in advance!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Pioneer and Onkyo AVRs are the same company now.

The best choice for AVRs nowadays tends to be Denon. Perhaps Yamaha, but most people tend to agree that the Denon has better room correction.

Yamaha is not known for good speakers, look elsewhere.

To get the best advice on particular gear, we need to know a budget.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally would stay away from both Pioneer and Onkyo receivers. What you should look for is Denon, Marantz and Yamaha unit that has all the features you need. Here you can find some good refurb units for good price: https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=avreceiver&skip_redirect_suffix=&view_id=b2e64167de11ba672366551de505160dfb285186&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc&brand_f[]=YAMAHA&brand_f[]=MARANTZ&brand_f[]=DENON

You seem to have quite tight budget on speakers too? I would stay away form Yamaha speakers, for budget these are best you can get: http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Audiobam, listen & accept the advice & info these guys provided you with, the knowledge and information given by the supporting cast here will educate you with tools to get a quality product while saving you $$$, there's a lot of compassion and first hand experience here...run with it...Cheers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW when you say separate audio gear this usually does not include a receiver, but rather separates would refer to a separate pre-amp/processor and separate amplifier combination (a receiver is essentially an pre-amp/processor and amp with a tuner/internet section built-in all in one box).

I'd also look at Denon/Marantz (also same company) and Yamaha these days over Pioneer/Onkyo. That older Integra (the fancier brand from Onkyo) may not have all the 4k bells and whistles nor the latest Atmos/overhead audio, but is good value and has Audyssey REQ (whereas current Onkyo/Integra products no longer use Audyssey). The Integra may be subject to older hdmi/network board issues, tho.

A

audiobam

Audiophyte
Thanks to you all for your time.
I see, I now understand what is meant by "separate", sorry.
Will take a look at Denon and Marantz.
Also, will look at Yamaha.
My budget is USD$250.00
In the site you shared a link with many receivers that fit that budget.
As for speakers, I think my budget would be $250.0 as well
Thanks very much again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis