just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
had IRON MAN 2 on, tonight. was 30 mins into it = when STARK, HAMMER, and the vanity fair(i think thats the mag) bimbo were at the bar.

then the whole system shut off, dead. blew the breaker. resetting it didn't work.
i reset the ISOBAR, then everything was ok. but no sound from the fronts.

i put the fronts back to the receiver and all was good. watched the rest of the movie no problem.

so, looks like the xpa-3 blew. perhaps the fuse, idk. the lights were still on. just no sound.

the ONLY thing i changed = i took the aluminum bars off the front and put the screws in place. thats it.

oh the joy :rolleyes:
of all my gear, i figured this amp would be used as my head stone.

what was the problem/s that a few guys have had with these ?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'd pop the top just to make sure the extra thread or two's depth from not having the decorative pieces in place didn't get into anything (I really can't imagine they did, but since that is the only thing your changed...).
It is nice that they have a good, transferable warranty.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

those screws are a non issue.

there are 3 fuses inside, the round glass kind. 2 of them blew. why, idk.

now, i have procure some, :confused:

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
those screws are a non issue.

there are 3 fuses inside, the round glass kind. 2 of them blew. why, idk.

now, i have procure some, :confused:
Sorry to hear this happened, please keep us informed as to what may become of this situation as you move forward with fuse replacement. How long have you had this particular Amp and if it in fact it could be defective in any way is there still time for a replacement ?

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
If you can't find any fuses locally, Emo has been known to ship some out upon request. I'd give them a call on Monday.

You must have had it cranked up loud!

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i will update till the end.

it is 21 months .

yes, i will be having my wife call monday.

no, it wasn't loud at all. that is what is odd. and i don't think it was anything external = i have my projector, receiver, dcx2496, & player on that circuit. and they are fine.
and, i have had this exact setup CRANKED/CRANKING for a while = HURT LOCKER and BLACKHAWK DOWN = i was BLASTING it !!! no problems.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Well sounds like a real fluke, best of luck with this, sawz..

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

my wife called emo today, they want the amp back.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

my wife called again. they want the amp back, "only" in an emo box. "if" i still have the box, i am sure i don't have the packing.

they want $25 for a box.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe another member close by can help you out and loan you their XPA box, I know I would if I still had it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
my wife called again. they want the amp back, "only" in an emo box. "if" i still have the box, i am sure i don't have the packing.
Are you sure about that? If you decided to keep the box, I can't imagine throwing away the nice sturdy foam they use for the XPA series (I don't know if they changed across the board or if it is UPA cost savings, but my recent UPA came packed in crappy disintegrating styrofoam).
Of course, if you re-purposed your box to hold something else, I guess you'd toss the foam!

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
You know, it's strange, but I can't throw out boxes from electronic components I buy. I've still got the box from my old denon 3803 which I bought in 2002 I think. I know I'll never need them, but once in a while it comes in handy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I keep boxes for items like that because my Marantz dealer told me the same thing about my receiver. If it has to go back, it has to go in the correct box or they won't accept it.

I kept my XPA-3 box because it is a beast and I had to send mine back right away also, but they sent me a replacement unit with the RMA inside to mail the damaged one back.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have the box from my UPA-2 that I got on Monday that you can borrow if it will fit. I don't know if you want to drive as far as Milwaukee though. It came well packed in the beefy industrial foam padding, not like KEW mentioned.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I have the box from my UPA-2 that I got on Monday that you can borrow if it will fit. I don't know if you want to drive as far as Milwaukee though. It came well packed in the beefy industrial foam padding, not like KEW mentioned.
Not much to mail an "empty" so to speak, I'm sure he can swing it $$ :).
Especially if it is the only way he can send his unit back to EMO, the more I think about it I feel they should accommodate some guy with a box under the circumstances, just saying.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Not much to mail an "empty" so to speak, I'm sure he can swing it $$ :).
Especially if it is the only way he can send his unit back to EMO, the more I think about it I feel they should accommodate some guy with a box under the circumstances, just saying.
True enough. :)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

i live in a condo. not much room left over to store seemingly useless stuff. if i still have the box, it has other stuff in it.

the only economical way to borrow a box = very local.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
i live in a condo. not much room left over to store seemingly useless stuff. if i still have the box, it has other stuff in it.

the only economical way to borrow a box = very local.
I know hindsight is 20/20, but you may want to try "breaking down" boxes?

I had to bite the bullet and pay for a new box at one point too. If this unit is warrantied for years to come, it may be worth it? If you ever decide to sell it, having a box may make the sale easier too.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

I know hindsight is 20/20, but you may want to try "breaking down" boxes?

I had to bite the bullet and pay for a new box at one point too. If this unit is warrantied for years to come, it may be worth it? If you ever decide to sell it, having a box may make the sale easier too.
yeah, then i would have to find a box to put the packing materials in.

i figured this amp would outlive me. i had no plans to sell it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. It was a UPA-5 that I got with the "disposable ice chest" styrofoam.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis