My dads new Ultra13

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
My almost 70'YO dad cracks me up!! I guess you're never too old to catch the Bug:)

He had a crappy Bose cube system for the past 5+ years. (his first HT-surround system). He already has an excellent display...just the audio was lacking. I only make it home once a year during Christmas week when my family visits, and he generally get's a gentle ribbing each and every year. I mean c'mon....how could my own dad not confer with me and get suckered into buying such garbage??

How it all started:
He called me about 2-3 weeks ago, out of the blue, with an upgrade itch. He wanted something small to fit in his small listening room that provided a good value for the $$$. After hearing both my BIL's and my system many times, it's been really bugging him lately how crappy his system sounds by comparison. (something not hard to do when Bose cubes are your point of reference) He was now finally ready to pull the trigger on an audio upgrade.

After several phone conversations, I recommended the $1,000 SVS 5.1 bookshelf system. For his modest needs, he didn't really need anything more. For what he paid for the crappy Bose system, this modest little $1,000 system would sound 1,000 times better. Not to mention.........My mother has tons of hummels and collector plates hanging all over the walls so anything more could be trouble!!

After looking at the SVS website, he was like.... "why should I get this little subwoofer, when I can have the Ultra13?".
Oh Oh.......

Several phone conversations later after emailing links detailing alternate possibilities, he chose a Klipsch RB51 system (minus the Klip-subwoofer) and added the Ultra13. It arrived just before Christmas ahead of my arrival. He was in hog heaven!

Soooooooo.......(after correcting his terrible setup attempt).... My dad, brother-in-law, and I were watching Transformers together to properly christen the new system and barely 5 minutes into the movie, an evil transformer was shooting-up the desert military base, and I kid you not...that transformer literally shot at, and shot down one of my mothers plates from the wall!! My dad swore he has never experienced a more realistic movie experience than this!! The transformer literally aimed at the direction of the wall directly at the offending plate, fired....and the plate fell, landed on a table, and shattered all over the place.
Hahahahahah.......both the video and surround sound followed in the perfect harmony...right at that plate.
:eek:
My mother wasn't too pleased, but my father, and brother-in-law & I were extremely impressed by such a realistic movie experience.:cool: In the following days, my dad recounted that moment many times.....(as if I wasn't there when it happened)
LOL...... he is now a very proud SVS owner!!
Hahahah

PS...he was thoroughly warned!! He now has a monumental rattle/plate proofing project ahead of him.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations, most old men just "want to hear MORE sound". Your pop is a keeper.:D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
LOL!!! What a hoot. Glad your Dad is enjoying the Ultra.:)

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
Haha yet to hear someone unsatisfied with an SVS sub, especially the Ultra

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thats just downright cool....

Gotta hand it to your 70yr old man.... he's bumpin !!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Buckeye, this thread is great! Your Dad sounds like a great guy. Kudos to him for ordering an Ultra 13!!!!!! Congrats on such a fine purchase. Threads like this is one of the MANY reasons why I may own an Ultra 13 myself in the very near future. :D:D

Cheers,

Phil

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Now WitH would recommend Klipsch speakers?:eek: J/K!:p My old man (going on 70 also) asked if I had a train downstairs last night, watching Polar Express. LOL Good for your old man! :cool:

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
That is AWESOME!! :D Hopefully I will be able to get my dad to that point by 70....

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I left my parents Buckeye house yesterday at 2pm Buckeye Time for the long drive to KC.. At about 1AM the following morning... my cell phone rings.... LOL...and it's my dad calling me to talk HT stuff....Hahahaha

.........he knows I am still on the road driving home:)
(cuz its a 12-13 hr drive)
LOL

Whatta hoot....

Meanwhile the wife and kiddies are snoozing.....the unexpected company was welcome:p

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
What a great post Buckeye! Your present to us I hope? Be sure and pass that on to the folks at SVS! Bet it didn't hurt that it was made in Ohio! :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I left my parents Buckeye house yesterday at 2pm Buckeye Time for the long drive to KC.. At about 1AM the following morning... my cell phone rings.... LOL...and it's my dad calling me to talk HT stuff....Hahahaha

LOL

Whatta hoot....

Meanwhile the wife and kiddies are snoozing.....the unexpected company was welcome:p
Yep, this can be addictive at any age:D

Hope that plate is replaceable;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

LOL

Whatta hoot....

Damn it, your a lucky SOG! Heh... my dad and I have so little in common, but he'll always be dad to me:D.

Cute story, Bill :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis