my bookshelf speakers are no match for my floor standers

C

chucksrt

Audioholic
I am trying to get back into things i love and home audio/video is on top of my list. i have been knee deep in diapers and moved since i was last really getting into this. my question is about my home audio mainly my speakers. I have always been a huge JSE Infinite Slope speaker guy. Since my first set of .6 [8"woofer ported and 1"tweeter] bookshelf speakers from when I was a kid. I loved the sound. I seem to now hoard them and buy as much as i can get my hands on. I had the .6 and a couple years back I came across their model 1 3 way [8" woofer sealed, 6" midrange and 1"tweeter] floor standing speakers, i fell in love again. Then I found the bookshelf .6 speakers again and bought them. The .6 sound similar to the model 1 except for some reason the .6 seem to have lower bass extension.? The model 1 sounds a bit fuller due to it having a midrange woofer but not by much. I found a pair of monster 1.8a [dual 10" woofers sealed, 6" midrange and a 1" tweeter] floor standing speakers that needed some love, so I drove the woofers to Miller sound and had them re foamed and balanced. Now the 1.8a sound amazing! here is where I start to go crazy. I just found a pair of .8 bookshelf/floor standers [dual 8"woofers sealed, and a 1" tweeter] that I have never seen before so I had to get them. The .8 sound good but in a side by side comparison with the 1.8a towers they sound flat, they also do not sound as bright. I was planning on using the .8 for my mains a .6 as a front and rear center and another pair of .6 for rear surround. I am also currently getting ready to start building the full marty subwoofer enclosure for a pair of 18" stereo integrity subs i just bought not that long ago. My problem is the .8 are dwarfed by the sound of the 1.8a and now I feel like I am missing something musically. I am concerned that if I do what I listed i will feel like I am missing something but if I keep the 1.8 up front as my mains then the other speakers don't stand a chance next to them. In a perfect world I would like the sound of the 1.8a coming from every corner but I know thats not happening. Do other brand specific speakers sound as different as what I am describing or is this just to be expected because size/configuration wise they are apples to oranges? sorry for the super long rant. I thought I had a plan until i did a side by side comparison.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
JSE (John Sollecito Engineering) is a very good personal friend of mine. His company is now http://www.sourcespeaker.com/.
PM me and I'll send you in the right direction.
This is Alex's spread of Source Speakers, sorry Fuzz to post your speakers.

Last edited:
Armandhammer

Armandhammer

Audioholic Intern
Holy crap...now that's a center stage...hahaha

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis