My 1st thread; so many speakers to choose from!

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
I got into HT about 7 yrs ago when I purchased some AR S50 towers from a small, local hi-fi shop that specialized in vinyl & 2ch stereo. They were not my first choice (I first brought home a large pair of Alesis studio monitors - but they didn't have grills which was a big no-no according to my wife), but they were pretty impressive looking and the sound was good enough. The owner of the store said he liked them and AR was a well respected brand. I figured if they were really good speakers then they would be fine for any music, including rock/heavy metal. Well, they are pretty darn good for HT (with the exception of problems hearing some dialogue), but no so much for Smashing Pumpkins/Metallica/Led Zeppelin in 2ch. The AR's are being driven by my Yamaha RXV2090, 100w per ch. We recently moved into a new house and my first additions were Paradigm SA-15R-30 in-ceiling speakers for surrounds (no complaints) and a HSU VTF3.3 sub (love it).

I'm at the point where I'm wanting to upgrade my center channel soon and since I want the center to match the towers, I've started looking at tower speakers (I do like my music in 2ch). I'm wondering though, if I should instead be looking at an amp to supply more power to my mains & center, in the hopes that more power will cure my woes. I believe the AR's can be bi-amped and will take 250w. Not sure what to do there. Gus6464 doesn't think that amplification is my problem and will not make my current speakers better.

Now, I've listened to the PSB Image T55 and they gave me goosebumps - very nice; the Dali's not-so-much; my AR's never really have either. I've had it in my head for a while that I was going to get some Paradigm towers (prob. used studio 100's since I need to move a lot of air - my open living room/kitchen/dining area is approx 20x30 w/ 15' ceilings), but I don't want to make the same mistake I did before by not listening to as many different speakers as I can. On my short list are PSB, MA, B&W, Thiel, KEF, & Paradigm (I have a VERY long list, too).

Aside from all that, I ran into somebody who's selling some used Paradigm Monitor 9's (purchased new in '05) for what I think is a good price, and I might consider buying them (I could probably pay for them by selling my current towers, unused 8" sub, and unused bookshelfs), however, I was reading some bad comments about the Monitor 9's in this forum and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't keep my current towers until I can save about 1500 to spend on something else. I have not heard the Monitor 9's yet so I don't know if they are better or worse than my AR S50's. If I went for it and got the M9's, I would eventually upgrade those at some point too, but it would probably be a few years (i.e. I would just be delaying the inevitable).

Please let me know if I included enough (or too much) info. I would appreciate any feedback.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Welcome aboard :)

The PSB Image series IMO represents a better value than Paradigms monitor series . I never was impressed with the monitor series. To beat PSBs Image, you'd have to move up to the Studio series.

If you got goosebumps listening to the T55s, then something sound right to you. Audition the others. You may like them even more than the T55s.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Listen to a few more before making a decision. Try and find a Monitor Audio dealer. You may still end up with the PSB's if you really liked them. If that's the case, check out Saturday Audio for some really good deals on the PSB Image line.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm Studio Series

Check out the Paradigm Studio Series if they are in your budget. You can find good deals on slightly used speakers in the classified section of forums like this or on audiogon.

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
I'm going to forget about the Monitors for now, then. Looks like I'll be saving up until I can afford something nicer. I'm not going to worry about getting a separate amp either.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Listen to a few more before making a decision. Try and find a Monitor Audio dealer. You may still end up with the PSB's if you really liked them. If that's the case, check out Saturday Audio for some really good deals on the PSB Image line.
Heh I told him to check out MA as well. He might really end up liking the RS6.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Heh I told him to check out MA as well. He might really end up liking the RS6.
PSB Image T55 or MA RS6...Decisions, decisions, decisions...I own T45, but don't own RS6 because I didn't was on a budget, but if now I would have gone for the RS6. Both brand/series are a good buy.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I got into HT about 7 yrs ago when I purchased some AR S50 towers from a small, local hi-fi shop that specialized in vinyl & 2ch stereo. They were not my first choice (I first brought home a large pair of Alesis studio monitors - but they didn't have grills which was a big no-no according to my wife), but they were pretty impressive looking and the sound was good enough. The owner of the store said he liked them and AR was a well respected brand. I figured if they were really good speakers then they would be fine for any music, including rock/heavy metal. Well, they are pretty darn good for HT (with the exception of problems hearing some dialogue), but no so much for Smashing Pumpkins/Metallica/Led Zeppelin in 2ch. The AR's are being driven by my Yamaha RXV2090, 100w per ch. We recently moved into a new house and my first additions were Paradigm SA-15R-30 in-ceiling speakers for surrounds (no complaints) and a HSU VTF3.3 sub (love it).

I'm at the point where I'm wanting to upgrade my center channel soon and since I want the center to match the towers, I've started looking at tower speakers (I do like my music in 2ch). I'm wondering though, if I should instead be looking at an amp to supply more power to my mains & center, in the hopes that more power will cure my woes. I believe the AR's can be bi-amped and will take 250w. Not sure what to do there. Gus6464 doesn't think that amplification is my problem and will not make my current speakers better.

Now, I've listened to the PSB Image T55 and they gave me goosebumps - very nice; the Dali's not-so-much; my AR's never really have either. I've had it in my head for a while that I was going to get some Paradigm towers (prob. used studio 100's since I need to move a lot of air - my open living room/kitchen/dining area is approx 20x30 w/ 15' ceilings), but I don't want to make the same mistake I did before by not listening to as many different speakers as I can. On my short list are PSB, MA, B&W, Thiel, KEF, & Paradigm (I have a VERY long list, too).

Aside from all that, I ran into somebody who's selling some used Paradigm Monitor 9's (purchased new in '05) for what I think is a good price, and I might consider buying them (I could probably pay for them by selling my current towers, unused 8" sub, and unused bookshelfs), however, I was reading some bad comments about the Monitor 9's in this forum and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't keep my current towers until I can save about 1500 to spend on something else. I have not heard the Monitor 9's yet so I don't know if they are better or worse than my AR S50's. If I went for it and got the M9's, I would eventually upgrade those at some point too, but it would probably be a few years (i.e. I would just be delaying the inevitable).

Please let me know if I included enough (or too much) info. I would appreciate any feedback.
First off I like your taste in music!:D What is your budget because first and foremost we love spending other peoples money. The PSB's ( I've audiotioned the image b25' & t45's)are excellent speaker AND won't break the bank.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
PSB Image T55 or MA RS6...Decisions, decisions, decisions...I own T45, but don't own RS6 because I didn't was on a budget, but if now I would have gone for the RS6. Both brand/series are a good buy.
Don't know what I was thinking, and somehow I cannot edit, so let me rewrite part of the message...

I own T45's, but don't own RS6 because I was on a budget, but if not I would have gone for the RS6.

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
I'm trying to keep my budget under 1500.

I was able to listen to a pair of MA RS6's and B&W 683's; I took some choice CD's and a notepad with me (forgot to do this with the PSB's). I found the MA's a little bright (i.e. the high treble sounded a bit harsh at times) and I think I understand what people mean when talking about listener fatigue. I asked and the dealer said they were well broken in. I still enjoyed them, but I didn't love them. Also taking into account the fact that my living room has tile floors and a long wall full of windows, I don't think I'll be considering the MA's.

The B&W's on the other hand, were very nice. They did not sound nearly as bright as the MA's, but I had the feeling that the bass was a tad boomy on some discs (this could have been in my head though, or perhaps it was the way the song was recorded). I thought the 683's handled a great variety of music very well without very many drawbacks. I noticed that the louder I took them, the better they sounded - I mean, they seemed to really come alive at louder levels vs. quieter levels. At no point did they ever ask for mercy or make me feel like I was going to hurt them. Several times while listening to different music, I had the urge to grab the salesman and tell him "come listen to this" (as if he'd never listened to them before) because they sounded so nice. Neutral & transparent are two words that came to mind when describing these. These will definitely remain on my short list.

My next stop will probably be to hear the PSB Images again. This time, I plan to be prepared with my own CD's and a notepad. The first time I listened to them (T55), all I had were some Foo Fighters and some SRV; I thought both sounded excellent. I would really like to compare the T55 vs T65 to see how much of a difference there is between them. When I heard the T55's they gave me chills, perhaps moreso than the B&W's. I don't recall them being too bright, but I need to hear them again to make sure.

I still would love to listen to some Revel Concertas, but alas the local dealer does not have them in stock and is not planning on getting any anytime soon. I would also like to hear some Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's (I think I can find a used pair on audiogon in my budget). Finally, I want to check out the KEF iQ9's and see how good they sound.

Thanks for all the comments & keep them coming!

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Now, I've listened to the PSB Image T55 and they gave me goosebumps - very nice
I think you've answered your own question right there.

IMO, you can't go wrong with PSB. I recently looked around for replacements for my PSB Stratus Gold's, only because I thought I would try something new and something higher end. Bottom line, there is nothing even remotely close in price that can touch these speakers, so I'm keeping them.

Any interest in used speakers? I'm sure you can find some used Stratus Golds in that price range. They really are incredible speakers (but they need a lot of power and current to run well...I wouldn't use an average run-of-the-mill receiver for these).

Good luck.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Also taking into account the fact that my living room has tile floors and a long wall full of windows, I don't think I'll be considering the MA's.

1. First time I hear someone describe MA RS6 as harsh; it is a very well known speaker for more than anything being neutral and laid back. Which goes to prove that auditioning is very important, as sound perception changes from person to person.

2. My family room is the same, all concrete walls, ceiling, and tiled floors. The only acoustical treatment allowed by my wife was furniture (sofa and chairs) placement; which in big part did the trick, but still lots of room for improvement. My PSB T45's and C40 sound very good under these circumstances, and I'm impressed by their performance.

3. By your comments I'm pretty sure you will end with either T55 or T65. How does the price compare to the B&W's???

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
When I was considering floor standing speakers I also audtioned PSB T45's/55's and was greatly impressed, especially considering their price point. I'm currently using Onix Ref 1's, so I've decided to stick with bookshelves for the time being. I do remember being well impressed by them though.

With that said, I'm also a previous owner of B&W 601 s3's, the one's the preceded their current 6-- line up, and those too were very nice. I think if you've narrowed things down to the B&W's and the PSB's, and perhaps the Paradigm Studio Series (also another pair I owned :D ), then you're doing pretty well...you're certainly on a good path. Good luck as you narrow down your decision. This is the fun part.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

I was able to listen to a pair of MA RS6's and B&W 683's; I took some choice CD's and a notepad with me (forgot to do this with the PSB's). I found the MA's a little bright (i.e. the high treble sounded a bit harsh at times) and I think I understand what people mean when talking about listener fatigue. I asked and the dealer said they were well broken in. I still enjoyed them, but I didn't love them. Also taking into account the fact that my living room has tile floors and a long wall full of windows, I don't think I'll be considering the MA's.

The B&W's on the other hand, were very nice. They did not sound nearly as bright as the MA's, but I had the feeling that the bass was a tad boomy on some discs (this could have been in my head though, or perhaps it was the way the song was recorded). I thought the 683's handled a great variety of music very well without very many drawbacks. I noticed that the louder I took them, the better they sounded - I mean, they seemed to really come alive at louder levels vs. quieter levels. At no point did they ever ask for mercy or make me feel like I was going to hurt them. Several times while listening to different music, I had the urge to grab the salesman and tell him "come listen to this" (as if he'd never listened to them before) because they sounded so nice. Neutral & transparent are two words that came to mind when describing these. These will definitely remain on my short list.

My next stop will probably be to hear the PSB Images again. This time, I plan to be prepared with my own CD's and a notepad. The first time I listened to them (T55), all I had were some Foo Fighters and some SRV; I thought both sounded excellent. I would really like to compare the T55 vs T65 to see how much of a difference there is between them. When I heard the T55's they gave me chills, perhaps moreso than the B&W's. I don't recall them being too bright, but I need to hear them again to make sure.

I still would love to listen to some Revel Concertas, but alas the local dealer does not have them in stock and is not planning on getting any anytime soon. I would also like to hear some Paradigm Studio 60's or 100's (I think I can find a used pair on audiogon in my budget). Finally, I want to check out the KEF iQ9's and see how good they sound.

Good approach. You're doing homework. I'm huge PSB fanboy and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :D If you are going for a sub as well, you may want to lan towards the T45s instead if the T55. There's only a couple of Hz in bottom end extension missing from the T45s if saving around a $150.0 is worth it. That money could be set aside for a sub, new DVDs etc. Only your ears can decide this. Thanks for keeping us updated. :)

S

slothy420

Enthusiast
The B&W's are about 1500 for the pair; the PSB T65's are 1200 for the pair. I'm doing pretty good in the bass department as I just bought a HSU Research VTF3MK3 and it really makes me smile :D

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Thats a big room

and usually homes with a room that big have large hall offsets which make the room even larger sonically...you did not mention your music/HT mix, but you are a rock lover..I might consider a two sub system with another HSU sub. Something like Klipsch RF7s up front ( still available) would fill the space nicely and lend themselves to HT and rock mixture....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
and usually homes with a room that big have large hall offsets which make the room even larger sonically...you did not mention your music/HT mix, but you are a rock lover..I might consider a two sub system with another HSU sub. Something like Klipsch RF7s up front ( still available) would fill the space nicely and lend themselves to HT and rock mixture....
Go with the T65s for a room that size. Thye'll have no problem filling a room of that size with great sound.

A

audiobug

Audiophyte

Slothy,
actually I am in the same boat as you , let me know what did you decide on , i wud love to learn from your research on PSB vs other and also KEF's

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis