MX150 pre + music server combo -- thoughts??

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Am considering making my own computer music server and using it in the following combination for lossless music files:
McIntosh MX150 pre-pro
Computer Media Server
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC with balanced XLR inputs to MX150
J. River Media Center software
Android remote controller of some sort
Ripped CDs to FLAC files and purchased online downloaded music files

Since the MX150 converts everything to digital including the balanced XLR stereo inputs (and can wash the audio through Room Perfect or bypass it), would the outboard DAC be of much benefit?

Opinions/Thoughts requested in the above producing 192 kHz sampling rates with audio sound quality above that of Redbook CD's (what changes would you make or am I totally off track)?

Thanks,

MikeSp

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Hey Mike,
Since the MX150 will be converting the signal back to a digital one, my thoughts would be to leave the signal in it's original digital form and send it to the MX150 from a digital output from the computer. By going from digital to analog via a DAC then into the MX150 and back to digital, looks like there would be no benefit from doing so when the signal could simply be passed as it originally is from the computer to the MX150, then any processing done to the signal would be done by the MX150. I would at least try this first. That's a very nice pre-amp/processor.
-Brad

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Hey Mike,
Since the MX150 will be converting the signal back to a digital one, my thoughts would be to leave the signal in it's original digital form and send it to the MX150 from a digital output from the computer. By going from digital to analog via a DAC then into the MX150 and back to digital, looks like there would be no benefit from doing so when the signal could simply be passed as it originally is from the computer to the MX150, then any processing done to the signal would be done by the MX150. I would at least try this first. That's a very nice pre-amp/processor.
-Brad
You answered the question nicely -- thanks. I am looking at building a new digital darkroom computer and the quad-4 CPU, motherboard and older video card from my previous build would make a good basis for a media server or HTPC and I had some qualms about doing a D/A conversion and then having the MX150 do an A/D and just before sending the signal to the amps, doing another D/A conversion -- lots of conversions. The audio quality from Blu-rays, from Redbook CDs and even SACDs is very good in the MX150 (especially using Room Perfect), so staying in the digital domain all of the time until the final D/A makes sense. Thanks for confirming that.

MikeSp

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You answered the question nicely -- thanks. I am looking at building a new digital darkroom computer and the quad-4 CPU, motherboard and older video card from my previous build would make a good basis for a media server or HTPC and I had some qualms about doing a D/A conversion and then having the MX150 do an A/D and just before sending the signal to the amps, doing another D/A conversion -- lots of conversions. The audio quality from Blu-rays, from Redbook CDs and even SACDs is very good in the MX150 (especially using Room Perfect), so staying in the digital domain all of the time until the final D/A makes sense. Thanks for confirming that.

MikeSp
My only concern (being a cheapskate) is that a quad core draws a lot of power. A dual core is roughly 65w for just the processor. A quad is usually about 130w. I know running my quad core desktop with 6 drives 24/7 cost me $30/mo. A media server just needs to have enough power to do I/O.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis