E

Electone

Audioholic
My current music server consists of a 1TB external usb hard drive hooked up to my wireless router. I have mapped the network drive to my main desktop pc and to my laptop. I use Windows Media Player to organize my digital files. These feed a stereo system in my family room with an analog cable directly from the soundcard.

I have another stereo system in my man-cave which is too far away from the router. I use my laptop to access the files on the network drive via wifi and use the output jack on its internal soundcard to feed the stereo. This is not the most ideal way as the soundcard on the laptop is pretty average and I have to run a long cable to the receiver. I have read about Chromecast Audio, Muzo Cobblestone and others. Would they have the ability to access the files on my network drive?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My current music server consists of a 1TB external usb hard drive hooked up to my wireless router. I have mapped the network drive to my main desktop pc and to my laptop. I use Windows Media Player to organize my digital files. These feed a stereo system in my family room with an analog cable directly from the soundcard.

I have another stereo system in my man-cave which is too far away from the router. I use my laptop to access the files on the network drive via wifi and use the output jack on its internal soundcard to feed the stereo. This is not the most ideal way as the soundcard on the laptop is pretty average and I have to run a long cable to the receiver. I have read about Chromecast Audio, Muzo Cobblestone and others. Would they have the ability to access the files on my network drive?
Threat title is music server, but you're actually asking about music clients.
Chromecast Audio is not good choice since it doesn't play local files, not directly anyhow
I don't know rest, but If you spend a bit more on nvidia shield tv - it will include plex server and client. it will help you to organize your music and other media.

After that a cheap stick like Amazon FireTV or Roku would do the trick.

E

Electone

Audioholic
Just as an addition, my system downstairs does not have a tv screen to see/select files, so it would have to work on a phone or tablet.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If you load plex on one of your computers your phone/tablet will very much be able to cast to a chromecast audio. Lots of other devices support plex as well. Sonos being one of the big ones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis