Joe

Joe

Enthusiast
I'm currently setup with 1 C/L/R 2002 center, 2 RW-10D subs, a pair of BP6B towers and recently came across 2 more BP6B towers still in box.

I found 2 more BP6B towers new for 50% off. Would it be wise to purschade for 7.1? Will 6 BP6B towers "drown" out music/movies with too much treb or will my 2 subs balance everything?

Thanks

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
actually IMO using all towers for each channel would be ideal, it will give you a full seamless soundstage if they are all the same towers. the only reason people use bookshelves for surrounds is because normally they either cannot afford towers or do not have the space for them. using a tower for a center is even better :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Unless you have giant room, I think 6 towers are overkill in the 7.2 setup.

I was doing 2 BP7000s for front L/R & 2 BP7001s for surround L/R, and it did NOT drown any sound or take anything away.

If you have the money and speakers, then 7.2 with those towers is fine and dandy.

You don't need it and I don't think they will improve the sound, but I don't think they will hurt anything either.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Unless you have giant room, I think 6 towers are overkill in the 7.2 setup.

I was doing 2 BP7000s for front L/R & 2 BP7001s for surround L/R, and it did NOT drown any sound or take anything away.

If you have the money and speakers, then 7.2 with those towers is fine and dandy.

You don't need it and I don't think they will improve the sound, but I don't think they will hurt anything either.
i've used an all tower setup for a 5.1 setup and it sounded significantly better then a two tower, two bookshelf, one center setup. it is especially good for ProLogic II playback of music.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
i've used an all tower setup for a 5.1 setup and it sounded significantly better then a two tower, two bookshelf, one center setup. it is especially good for ProLogic II playback of music.
That may have something to do with your setup and choices of speakers and subwoofer(s) at that time. As long as the bookshelves and towers are well matched, the sub powerful enough, and the crossover is low enough you shouldn't hear any difference. All having 5 towers does is assure that all 5 dig low enough to allow a <50hz crossover point and have the same sensitivity level.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you have the money and space, go for it.

Having all identical towers is a great idea IMO.

I don't think it sounds 100% better than bookshelf surrounds, but having all towers is cool.

Keep in mind that the surround channels probably only get about 10% of the soundtrack and are used for ambient and panning "surround" effect.

But it's great having all towers.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
If you have the money and space, go for it.

Having all identical towers is a great idea IMO.

I don't think it sounds 100% better than bookshelf surrounds, but having all towers is cool.

Keep in mind that the surround channels probably only get about 10% of the soundtrack and are used for ambient and panning "surround" effect.

But it's great having all towers.
this all depends on the movie, i've watched several movies where there were very few times the surrounds weren't doing something, and much more then just ambience. at the beginning of Land of the Lost the dinosaur that comes up behind the guy is a full range, strong low frequency, stomping sound that comes completely from the surrounds.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I would think that having a system of all towers would be ideal, (if they are truly full range). That way you have all the same exact speaker outputting all of your sound. No need to worry about crossing over your fronts at one point, your center at another, then your surrounds and yet another. Also you can be assured of proper timbre matching between your speakers.

The only downside I can see to it is if your are sitting on a couch with your towers behind you for surrounds, you might be losing out on some sound that will be blocked by the back of the couch.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
at the beginning of Land of the Lost the dinosaur that comes up behind the guy is a full range, strong low frequency, stomping sound that comes completely from the surrounds.
You actually watched Land of the Lost???? :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since these are bipole speakers, the sound will be more diffuse and he won't lose as much sound as he would with monopole speakers.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
yes, i found it entertaining, wasn't that great, but it kept me watching.

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
I've done towers for my SL/SR...I have a young child in the house and having a tower is much more stable than a bookshelf on a stand.

Having said that, the vast majority of source material doesn't take advantage of a tower for the rear, ie, not too much signal being sent through the surround channels in movies etc.

Useful for 5.1 SACD, DVD audio or '5 ch' listening, but some people prefer the '2 ch stereo sound from the front' effect vs the immersive all tower setup.

Joe

Joe

Enthusiast
I've done towers for my SL/SR...I have a young child in the house and having a tower is much more stable than a bookshelf on a stand.

Having said that, the vast majority of source material doesn't take advantage of a tower for the rear, ie, not too much signal being sent through the surround channels in movies etc.

Useful for 5.1 SACD, DVD audio or '5 ch' listening, but some people prefer the '2 ch stereo sound from the front' effect vs the immersive all tower setup.
My children ran into my towers several times and thankfully they remained standing. This setup is for equal music/movie enjoyment and will remain in the living room. I'm very happy with it but I was audio inexperienced at the time of purchase (and still am).

I was given the "greenlight" for a HT room w/ equipment in the distant future (unknown budget at this time) but after owning more than a 5.1 Sony HT in a box, I can appreciate more of what's out there. I'm a HUGE fan of rumble and I think i'm going to have fun with this.

Thanks again

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis